CB 6.2.4 Sit J

VolUmp
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2645 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

CB 6.2.4 Sit J clarifies (somewhat) the balk call for a play not being possible (or probable) because of F3 being too far off the base.

I see nothing in the FED Rulebook about this play, and never have.

Since FED is still allowing fakes to 3B, would this ruling have no bearing on a similar throw to F5?

In other words, if the pitcher throws to F5 who is not holding the runner on, and F5 is nowhere near the bag, is that also FED balk?

(My thought is no, since according to Jim Evans Balk video, a pitcher may spin and throw to F4 or F6 who is not in position to make a play on a runner at 2B).

CB 6.2.4 Sit J clarifies (somewhat) the balk call for a play not being possible (or probable) because of F3 being too far off the base.

I see nothing in the FED Rulebook about this play, and never have.

Since FED is still allowing fakes to 3B, would this ruling have no bearing on a similar throw to F5?

In other words, if the pitcher throws to F5 who is not holding the runner on, and F5 is nowhere near the bag, is that also FED balk?

(My thought is no, since according to Jim Evans Balk video, a pitcher may spin and throw to F4 or F6 who is not in position to make a play on a runner at 2B).

Correct. The throw to 1B in that case play is considered a feint by interpretation.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ALStripes17 said:

Correct. The throw to 1B in that case play is considered a feint by interpretation.

Not true, AL: it's an illegal feint by rule.

2-28-5 defines a feint as follows: "A feint is a movement which simulates the start of a pitch or a throw to a base and which is used in an attempt to deceive a runner."

Many people misunderstand the concept of a feint as a pretended throw. But what is feinted is a throw to a base: F1 can do this by not throwing, or by throwing somewhere other than a base.

Feinting a throw to a base is permitted in FED at 2B and 3B. That is why F1 may throw to F4, F5, or F6 away from 2B or 3B.

It is illegal in all codes to feint a throw to 1B, and that includes throwing to a fielder away from the base. While engaged, F1 may not throw to F3, F4, or any other fielder near 1B, unless the fielder is AT 1B.

So, to answer the OP: case play 6.2.4 naturally references rule 6-2-4. In this case, the sub-section is 6-2-4a:

Balk. If there is a runner or runners, any of the following acts by a pitcher while he is touching the pitcher's plate is a balk:

a. any feinting toward the batter or first base, or any dropping of the ball (even though accidental) and the ball does not cross a foul line (6-1-4);

By throwing to a fielder away from the base, F1 has feinted a throw to 1B, contrary to 6-2-4a.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2016 at 7:49 PM, maven said:

By throwing to a fielder away from the base, F1 has feinted a throw to 1B, contrary to 6-2-4a.

Let me ask this, please, Maven.  We have R1 on 1B and F3 plays way in for a bunt (deeking R1 to get a huge lead), when F3 suddenly turns and sprints back towards 1B, and F1 turns and throws to F3 who is still 12 feet in front of 1B when he catches the ball, but is able to tag out R1 who was slow to return.

Balk in all codes?

15 minutes ago, VolUmp said:

Let me ask this, please, Maven.  We have R1 on 1B and F3 plays way in for a bunt (deeking R1 to get a huge lead), when F3 suddenly turns and sprints back towards 1B, and F1 turns and throws to F3 who is still 12 feet in front of 1B when he catches the ball, but is able to tag out R1 who was slow to return.

Balk in all codes?

The FED rule says F3 has to be close enough to have a reasonable chance at a play.  Your judgment on the above.

36 minutes ago, noumpere said:

The FED rule says F3 has to be close enough to have a reasonable chance at a play.  Your judgment on the above.

Well, according to the above play, I stated that R1 was tagged out ... so I guess that was considered reasonable.  No need for judgment.

How about NCAA and OBR?

25 minutes ago, noumpere said:

The OBR interp for 1B (and 3B) is the same.

Actually retiring R1 is good evidence that F3 had a reasonable chance at a play. ;)

As I envision this, the out is recorded near 1B, which I'd have legal. OTOH, if both fielder and runner are far from the base when F3 gets the ball, and R1 takes off for 2B because F3 can cut him off, I'm probably balking that. IOW, the requirement for F1 is still "step and throw to a base," but we interpret "to a base" to include a fielder near enough to the base to make a play on a runner there (not just to make a play on a runner anywhere).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, VolUmp said:

Well, according to the above play, I stated that R1 was tagged out ... so I guess that was considered reasonable.  No need for judgment.

How about NCAA and OBR?

Reasonablyu the same -- and exactly the same in the play presented.

Take a slightly different play where F3 is away from the base, F1 commits to throw to F3 and F3 THEN starts moving toward the base and NCAA / OBR would likely have a balk -- Fed would follow the same interp as before.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, noumpere said:

Take a slightly different play where F3 is away from the base, F1 commits to throw to F3 and F3 THEN starts moving toward the base and NCAA / OBR would likely have a balk -- Fed would follow the same interp as before.

You hit the nail on the head ... in my case, the play seems predetermined ... in your slightly different version, it's clear that the play caught F3 off guard.

I'd tend to call "A" a good play and "B" a balk.