Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Umpire in Chief

Gallery has been removed

I wanted to let you know the gallery feature of the site has been removed. 

The license is currently up for renewal and the use it received did not justify keeping it. 

I apologize to those members who enjoyed the feature, but no photos had been uploaded in many months. 

But fear not, I am working on other ways to continue to make Umpire-Empire.com the destination of choice while you are online.

Thanks,

Warren

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

Not said as a complaint, but when a good portion of the existing gallery photos from the site pre-Site Upgrade didn't properly move over, and the function to upload photos got more complex (as well as notify the community of every photo that was uploaded), I think people gave up. It got easier just to create a topic thread and post photos upon it.

I'm surprised our Texteen crowd hasn't created a #UmpireSelfie! thread. @Stk004? What says your gen?

4 hours ago, MadMax said:

Not said as a complaint, but when a good portion of the existing gallery photos from the site pre-Site Upgrade didn't properly move over, and the function to upload photos got more complex (as well as notify the community of every photo that was uploaded), I think people gave up. It got easier just to create a topic thread and post photos upon it.

I'm surprised our Texteen crowd hasn't created a #UmpireSelfie! thread. @Stk004? What says your gen?

If this was designed like a social media platform hashtags  (no, not pound signs) would be awesome. I always hated having to open 5 different "threads" to see pictures people posted and the whole gallery part of this just wasn't user friendly. That said, I visit this site everyday on my phone. Maybe it's easier on a desktop, I wouldn't know. 

What really grinds my gears is the limit on files I can upload. Currently I have 1.04 MB left, which is enough to upload just about......... nothing. I'd like to see that limit go away, or at least get expanded to such a large amount that we don't have to worry about it. But I don't know if that's possible or not, that's a question for Warren.

16 hours ago, MadMax said:

Definitely true. I spent many hours manually redirecting the misdirected links after the conversion, but ended up stopping.

12 hours ago, Stk004 said:

If this was designed like a social media platform hashtags  (no, not pound signs) would be awesome. I always hated having to open 5 different "threads" to see pictures people posted and the whole gallery part of this just wasn't user friendly. That said, I visit this site everyday on my phone. Maybe it's easier on a desktop, I wouldn't know. 

While the site doesn't support hashtags, there are tags available. While currently only available to the person who starts the topic there is an add-on I can purchase which would allow anyone to tag a thread, but not an individual post. If people are interested in this I would be glad to implement it. (I'll create a poll next)

I personally would be in favor of this, if it would be used, as it helps with SEO. 

tags.JPG

12 hours ago, Stk004 said:

What really grinds my gears is the limit on files I can upload. Currently I have 1.04 MB left, which is enough to upload just about......... nothing. I'd like to see that limit go away, or at least get expanded to such a large amount that we don't have to worry about it. But I don't know if that's possible or not, that's a question for Warren.

I have just removed the individual file storage limit. Now this is experimental and I will be monitoring this. I actually lease a semi-dedicated server rather than a standard hosting plan which gives me much more leeway with my bandwidth ans storage (but not complete freedom). So we will see how this goes. 

What I have done is allow unlimited total storage, but no individual file can be over 1gig. Let me know if anyone thinks this is too small.

images.JPG

I vote we change the name of this thread to 'Tech Talk with the Chief'

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Umpire in Chief said:

Definitely true. I spent many hours manually redirecting the misdirected links after the conversion, but ended up stopping.

While the site doesn't support hashtags, there are tags available. While currently only available to the person who starts the topic there is an add-on I can purchase which would allow anyone to tag a thread, but not an individual post. If people are interested in this I would be glad to implement it. (I'll create a poll next)

I personally would be in favor of this, if it would be used, as it helps with SEO. 

tags.JPG

I have just removed the individual file storage limit. Now this is experimental and I will be monitoring this. I actually lease a semi-dedicated server rather than a standard hosting plan which gives me much more leeway with my bandwidth ans storage (but not complete freedom). So we will see how this goes. 

What I have done is allow unlimited total storage, but no individual file can be over 1gig. Let me know if anyone thinks this is too small.

images.JPG

I like the idea of anyone tagging a thread because it takes pressure off the OP to get all of them. 

With regards to the storage, awesome!

23 hours ago, Stk004 said:

If this was designed like a social media platform hashtags  (no, not pound signs)

As a person that's spent far too long in the IT world.....

They.  Are.  Pound.  Signs.

Don't ruin them for me.

• Like 3