Illinois Football game ends on bad call... losers going to court

Mudisfun
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2658 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Saw this article... Although football how many of us would expect to be dragged into court on a call we make? Seriously I know this is to get to the Championship but really? Like Illinois and Chicago have no other problems at the moment...

And yes I realize most likely the officials are not being directly sued but you know they will be in court...

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/football-state-championship-game-to-be-decided-in-court-193432320.html

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach should have protested at the time the call was made - that is definitely allowed. There was a change in possession, he had time. But yea, I agree that rule misinterpretation protests should be allowed, but there has to be a time window on it - i.e. 30 min after the game ended.

That being said this situation sucks, and I would never want to be part of this as an official.

Questionable call by the coach on that one. Should have taken the safety or a knee. 

But it always comes down to a bad call by the officials. Many of whom were probably out there freezing wondering WTF was Fenwick doing throwing downfield. 

I would also bet that the Fenwick coach got paid more for that game than the entire officiating crew combined. 

Sounded like the right call (intentional grounding) but a gross miss on the enforcement (no untimed down for offensive penalty that ends the quarter). But the judge did the right thing and upheld the end of the game.

Overturning it, with less than a week until the final game, would have created chaos.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/25/2016 at 4:15 PM, dumbdumb said:

Just do like baseball and have the commissioner step in and do whatever he wants to do regardless of the rule book, with the 'in best interests of baseball clause'.

Ahhh yes .... the Herb Washington rule ....