Batter interference

Guest 1smartdude
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2668 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

22 answers to this question

Here’s the applicable OBR:

6.03 Batter Illegal Action

(a) (6.06) A batter is out for illegal action when:

He interferes with the catcher’s fielding or throwing by stepping out of the batter’s box or making any other movement that hinders the catcher’s play at home base.

Federation and NCAA rules are essentially the same. The Fed case book play 7.3.5E explains the rule best:

…The batter is entitled to his position in the batter’s box and is not subject to being penalized for interference unless he moves or re-establishes his position after the catcher has received the pitch, which then prevents the catcher from attempting to play on a runner. Failing to move so the catcher can make a throw is not batter interference.

On 11/21/2016 at 2:36 PM, Rich Ives said:

Motionless is OK.  We can't call interference every time. If we did the catcher would just hit the batter to get an out.

On 11/21/2016 at 3:38 PM, grayhawk said:

You mean like this?

Damn Steve! Jumped all over that one. And I had the exact same thought.

Also... Am I a bad person for getting a chuckle ok of this video every time? Especially with the douchebag F2 turning to the guy on the dish wondering why he didn't get BI.

On 11/24/2016 at 0:10 AM, BT_Blue said:

Damn Steve! Jumped all over that one. And I had the exact same thought.

Also... Am I a bad person for getting a chuckle ok of this video every time? Especially with the douchebag F2 turning to the guy on the dish wondering why he didn't get BI.

I get the same chuckle.  We are both bad people.

• Like 1

I recall a little pr*ck who played catcher with my son about 7 years ago in high school who hit a kid in the helmet intentionally at point blank range and then bragged about it.  His mother told me she knew it was intentional because he told her the game before he'll do it the next time a batter doesn't get out of his way with a runner taking 3B.

He wasn't coached well ... he honestly thought the batter was required to move, but this is Malicious Contact - pure and simple.  Intent to injure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VolUmp said:

I recall a little pr*ck who played catcher with my son about 7 years ago in high school who hit a kid in the helmet intentionally at point blank range and then bragged about it.  His mother told me she knew it was intentional because he told her the game before he'll do it the next time a batter doesn't get out of his way with a runner taking 3B.

He wasn't coached well ... he honestly thought the batter was required to move, but this is Malicious Contact - pure and simple.  Intent to injure.

No, this is unsportsmanlike conduct.

7 hours ago, Stk004 said:

That would be a fun discussion of "Yes he did" "No he didn't" with the manager. 

No discussion of judgment should ever take more than a sentence or two.

Me: "He did [whatever]"

Coach: "No, he did not!"

Me: "Coach, in my judgment he did."

And we're pretty much done there. Coach can express his disagreement again (politely or not, depending on whether he has better things to do), but we're not discussing further. If it's polite — some version of, "I saw it differently," — then I usually just say, "OK."

The trap umpires get into is thinking that they not only need to be right, but that they must convince coach that they're right.

Apologies for the hijack.

7 hours ago, VolUmp said:

Matt's right: intent to injure is one marker of MC, but we can't have MC without the C (bodily contact between opponents). No disputing the penalty, however.

59 minutes ago, VolUmp said:

Here's a question ...

How did Quintero get away with his act in the above video?

Isn't this ejectable at the pro level?

In pro ball, this kind of action is left to players to "police." An umpire who ejected for this would be dinged by supervisors (and probably have a difficult game following the EJ). IIRC, Quintero got his comeuppance the next day; but players have long memories for this kind of crap, and retribution can occur weeks or even years later.

In amateur ball using pro rules (OBR), ejection is warranted under 8.01(d). We should NOT allow amateur players to police such contact themselves.

• Like 1

Humberto Quintero did this dastardly deed in a game against the Durham Bulls on May 1, 2015 played in Pawtucket. His game log found on milb.com shows that Quintero did not play again until May 5 in Toledo. He did not play against Durham again until July 16 and 18. His stats show that he was hit by a pitch three times during that season with Pawtucket and none by a Durham pitcher.

• Like 1