Ambidextrous Pitcher... a first for me

Mudisfun
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2697 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Not a big time story but doing a Freshman level game this weekend I had my first encounter with an ambidextrous pitcher. He was the 1st F1 of the game so prior to starting he came up, introduced himself and made sure I knew about his ability. We agreed on how he would 'declare' his pitching arm per batter and moved on with no issues for his 2 innings on the bump.

As the batter was approaching he would indicate his throwing arm... I thought what was funny is that no one tried to juke him by stepping into the box as a lefty, have him declare and then switch to being a righty... but again... Freshman.

When the F1 came to bat we had a moment to chat and I found it odd that with his ability to throw either hand that he only could bat as a right handed batter but that goes to show what I know about his ability. For those in the So Cal (Orange County) area he throws for Woodbridge.

Other than that it was a nice Saturday morning/afternoon of baseball.

1 hour ago, stkjock said:

If the batter changes boxes can't the pitcher switch arms?

No sir. Pitcher must declare which hand he is going to use and use it for the duration of that batter (except for injury, but we don't need to go down that rabbit hole). Go on YouTube and look up "switch pitcher vs. switch hitter." There's an 8 minute video that will make you understand why.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stk004 said:

No sir. Pitcher must declare which hand he is going to use and use it for the duration of that batter (except for injury, but we don't need to go down that rabbit hole). Go on YouTube and look up "switch pitcher vs. switch hitter." There's an 8 minute video that will make you understand why.

The good ol "Pat Vendette Rule."

8 hours ago, Stk004 said:

thanks, guess my memory failed on that one.  gives a possible unfair advantage to the batter if that pitcher never faced him before, 

6 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

The good ol "Pat Vendette Rule."

yea, I recall that player.

On 11/07/2016 at 11:57 PM, Stk004 said:

The injury thing isn't very complicated. If F1 switches arms during a batter claiming injury, he simply can't pitch with that arm the rest of the game.

• Like 2