Jump to content

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
stkjock

Odd Ball Question - Batters Box - Dodger Stadium

Recommended Posts


Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

I think he thinks they aren't square to the plate.

 

My guess is that it's an effect of the camera lens / zooming.  Much like the views from center field make it look like the boxes are angled.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep. Lens distortion. The angle of the foul lines appears to be far more than 90° for the same reason. (Get out your protractors!)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, noumpere said:

I think he thinks they aren't square to the plate.

 

that's not what I was thinking

 

I purposefully did not say what I was wondering about as a test of myself, to see if others would find odd what I found odd, so since that's three "strikes" on me I'll spill it....

 

the width of the lines... aren't they usually the same size as the foul lines?  Appendix 2 of OBR covers the overall dimensions, however, nothing to the width of the lines themselves.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, stkjock said:

the width of the lines... aren't they usually the same size as the foul lines?  Appendix 2 of OBR covers the overall dimensions, however, nothing to the width of the lines themselves.

Amateur fields often use the same piece of equipment to make all the lines, and that explains their being the same size.

As it's not required by rule, pro ground crews are free to do as they please within the stated dimensions.

As your photo illustrates, the marked lines are usually gone by the 2nd inning anyway, no matter how wide they might be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, maven said:

Amateur fields often use the same piece of equipment to make all the lines, and that explains their being the same size.

As it's not required by rule, pro ground crews are free to do as they please within the stated dimensions.

As your photo illustrates, the marked lines are usually gone by the 2nd inning anyway, no matter how wide they might be.

understood, however, have you or anyone else ever noticed such a difference??, I've watched say 500 games in the last 3-4 years, never notice such a difference in any other game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, stkjock said:

understood, however, have you or anyone else ever noticed such a difference??, I've watched say 500 games in the last 3-4 years, never notice such a difference in any other game.

The Dodgers have always had thin lines for their batter's boxes. They turn the paint can 90 degrees to move it from a wide line to a thin line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eric Hansen is the head groundskeeper at Dodger Stadium. I believe the thinner stripes had something to do with 1) More precise. 2) Leaving behind less residue in a high-traffic area. The angle of the box at AT&T Park notwithstanding, notice the residue left behind by the thicker line, which could be misleading if it were to come into play. With a thin line, all one really has to do is kick dirt over it and it's gone: the white disperses on a thin line pretty quickly when it gets broken up. Not so for a thicker line.

ScreenSnapz0343-620x332.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×