Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
stkjock

NLDS Game 5 - Harper pick off

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
2 hours ago, Stk004 said:

Did it result in an out? I'd love to see a video if it pops up. 

Hopefully this video from UmpHub on vimeo will give a little hint of what to look for concerning the knee pop. The good ones can speed the move up and make it more difficult to detect. Easier in a 3 man or 4 man. Very tough in a 2 man. Watch for the knee pop/break/flinch/bend or whatever you want to call it, and then the move. Of course, with a regular move you have to 'bend' the knees (unless you are C3PO, Frankenstein or the Mummy) on a regular move, but they will do a quick pop/break/flinch/bend and then do the regular move with the normal bend.

31 minutes ago, dumbdumb said:

Hopefully this video from UmpHub on vimeo will give a little hint of what to look for concerning the knee pop. The good ones can speed the move up and make it more difficult to detect. Easier in a 3 man or 4 man. Very tough in a 2 man. Watch for the knee pop/break/flinch/bend or whatever you want to call it, and then the move. Of course, with a regular move you have to 'bend' the knees (unless you are C3PO, Frankenstein or the Mummy) on a regular move, but they will do a quick pop/break/flinch/bend and then do the regular move with the normal bend.

So that was pretty dramatic. Does there have to be hesitation for it to be a balk? Do you have a sample legal RHP move to 1B for comparison?

On 11/2/2016 at 11:56 PM, Stk004 said:

So that was pretty dramatic. Does there have to be hesitation for it to be a balk? Do you have a sample legal RHP move to 1B for comparison?

there are those that can help you but I am not one of them, if I could I would

It is very hard to get video of those that are not really easy like the first set I gave you and everyone will complain about being a no brainer, and giving you the real hard one that is obvious, but is speeded up.

And even the one I will give you now, i.e. #4 will draw objection as to nothing is wrong with this move, and maybe there isn't. The easy one from my earlier post gives the concept and like I said the concept gets speeded up for those who can make it not look so obvious. Not everyone can develop and execute the pop and make it look very undetectable, just like some other moves.

Let the veterans that work in your area show you all the balks. Just like the strike zone. Some umpires are better than others.

Just like Ron Luciano said, he could not figure them out so he did not call any, but I do not think that extreme was right either.

It is harder to see, as has been mentioned, that knee pop in a two man. It is easier when you have the 1BU to catch it.

Cheers, and let those in the know (not me) provide you with 10 or 20 video examples of the knee pop balk that they have in their archives. I am sure they have videos that progress from extremely easy to see, all the way to some that are very hard to see.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=21515

35 minutes ago, dumbdumb said:

there are those that can help you but I am not one of them, if I could I would

It is very hard to get video of those that are not really easy like the first set I gave you and everyone will complain about being a no brainer, and giving you the real hard one that is obvious, but is speeded up.

And even the one I will give you now, i.e. #4 will draw objection as to nothing is wrong with this move, and maybe there isn't. The easy one from my earlier post gives the concept and like I said the concept gets speeded up for those who can make it not look so obvious. Not everyone can develop and execute the pop and make it look very undetectable, just like some other moves.

Let the veterans that work in your area show you all the balks. Just like the strike zone. Some umpires are better than others.

Just like Ron Luciano said, he could not figure them out so he did not call any, but I do not think that extreme was right either.

It is harder to see, as has been mentioned, that knee pop in a two man. It is easier when you have the 1BU to catch it.

Cheers, and let those in the know (not me) provide you with 10 or 20 video examples of the knee pop balk that they have in their archives. I am sure they have videos that progress from extremely easy to see, all the way to some that are very hard to see.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=21515

What happened on #8?

On 11/5/2016 at 3:20 PM, Stk004 said:

What happened on #8?

here is the move where you can slow it down. others on here can tell you what exactly was done wrong or call 1800 Bill Welke. just kidding. kind of have to screw yourself into the ground going to the left side rather than the normal right and almost looks like the body moves twice rather than 1 smooth move but I am just dreaming up stuff here.

This would be one to ask the guys in your local what they think and would they call it a balk or not. If so, do, if not-don't. When in Rome, so to speak.

Those who know this move is a balk, let them weigh in on the specifics of why and what is to be seen for  Welke or others to call this a balk. Just because it looks funny is not a good reason, although that could be why anyone might have called a balk on a legal move before. Only the perfect have never missed one. Both one that was, but wasn't called, as well as one that wasn't, but was called.

It is also hard, and some may say impossible to balk to second since you do not have to throw and can fake a throw. Usually it would probably be a flinch where the pitcher sees the fielder break for the pickoff and stop, therefor causing the pitcher to flinch since he will not fake the move now, or with some kind of stumbling bad footwork or jumping towards home first and then turning around.

http://m.mlb.com/video/v28866619/cwsphi-jones-balk-moves-potential-winner-to-third/?query=jones+balks

and here is a slower shot of that #4 in the baseball prospectus examples, both at the beginning and again at :52.

http://m.mlb.com/video/v26979915/tortb-dickey-called-for-balk-in-the-fifth-inning/?query=dickey%2Bbalk

Make sure you hone your plate skills, base skills, positioning, movement on the field, handling situation skills, and balk skills up to level 1-8 in difficulty before you nail those 9 and 10 balk level of skills, and learn those (9-10) from the camps you are attending from those who can really give some pointers on what are and are not balks, knee pop, spin moves, stepping to far to home, etc.

here is one with Teheran that is considered a knee pop. notice how he bends the left knee back in towards the rubber and then starts his move in 2 separate motions.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=21436

another knee pop

Although we are talking about knee pops or breaks, the balks below are some balks other than knee pops, from MLB that should help you with learning balks. If by chance you cannot figure out what they did, then at the lower levels it should probably not be called. Same if you disagree with something  you see. Added 11/28