Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Mudisfun

Dumbest definition

Just heard the announcers in the Dodgers game try to define a check swing.

They use the definition of: if the bat crosses the plane of the foul line then that is a strike. Umpires apparently are trained to set up on the fair foul line to be able to determine if the bat cross the plane of the foul line.

Whatever happened to yes he went and he offered at the pitch?

More importantly why do I not have the game muted?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
3 hours ago, Mudisfun said:

They use the definition of: if the bat crosses the plane of the foul line then that is a strike. Umpires apparently are trained to set up on the fair foul line to be able to determine if the bat cross the plane of the foul line.

I had it muted and watched it on my Ipad while I listened to the Voice and said "yes" to my wife. She's good with this. Unfortunately, I was able to unmute when this was said and noted that one of the clowmunicaters had "umpire training" and tried to correct even worse mythology. That said, I don't have an offer.

14 hours ago, Mudisfun said:

As there is no official definition, this one is as good as any.

I have heard that one good indicator is seeing the end of the bat

NCAA actually suggests that it is an offer if the bat passes the front hip. 

What killed me was the announcers describing this as an official, trained mechanic. The threshold is did he offer not did the bat pass done arbitrary point. That and of course the whining that the plate guy just cannot determine a swing...

Oh well Dodgers won so my fabdom survived for another game.

Using the NCAA definition, it's really close:

Screen Shot 2016-10-12 at 8.31.23 AM.jpg

Being a play by play commentator for baseball is SOOOOOOOOOOOO hard(I would know I was one).  Why can't producers tell their guys to do what we do and on their morning constitutions read the rules?

As we were told in a recent clinic that I attended in Springfield, there is no magic spot that determines a swing or check-swing, the question as base umpire is "did he offer at the pitch?"  Doesn't matter if you are in A, B, or C, as base umpire you can judge whether or not the batter offered, if he didn't, signal safe, if he did give them the hammer.  Paraphrased from the actual instructor that explained it to us.

Proposed Replay Review for Check Swings: Each Stadium shall have a polygraph hooked up to the New York headsets. Batter will be strapped in and asked if he intended to strike the pitch. The Polygraph Official in NY will determine whether the batter is telling the truth or lying when he says he did not intend to strike the pitch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gil said:

Proposed Replay Review for Check Swings: Each Stadium shall have a polygraph hooked up to the New York headsets. Batter will be strapped in and asked if he intended to strike the pitch. The Polygraph Official in NY will determine whether the batter is telling the truth or lying when he says he did not intend to strike the pitch.

And if he is found to have fibbed? Please tell me there is a jolt or two sent to him!

Hit em Endo!

Image result for family guy endo