Force3 Defender doesn't help here....

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2337 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I usually post videos in the Professional section but this is an equipment post/video:

Well .... it looks like the Force3 Defender didn't necessarily protect Suzuki better than other masks.......

And .... the mask cut him ....

http://m.mlb.com/video/v1166128783/?query=suzuki

1 minute ago, JaxRolo said:

Sometimes it doesn't matter which mask yo wear. Things happen.

absolutely, ....thus my word "necessarily" .....

however, ....I've never seen a catcher get cut from getting hit in the mask ....NO ...wait....Alex Avila did a few years back when he was still w/ the Tigers before he switched to an All-Star bucket (wearing a Nike Ti)

3 minutes ago, scrounge said:

I don't think we can say at all that it didn't help. Ok, he cut his chin....did the mask attenuate the force enough to prevent a brain injury as well?

I mean, given the choice, I'll take the booboo on the chin :)

again ....I used the word "necessarily" .....

8 minutes ago, gnhbua93 said:

In any situation that blood is present trainers put gloves on. The real testament to the effectiveness of the mask will be if he is not put on the DL like he was when a similar situation happened with his previous mask.

He wasn't "bleeding" ... he had a gouge.  And it happened on that play.  You can see him in another video that's on MLB.com on his 3 run HR ....there's no mark on his chin when he rounds the bases.   And, yes, ... we'll see what his status is today, that'll be interesting

I doubt that there will be a V3, because that mask performed well. 96mph fouls ball to the chin is the worst. It's amazing that he walked off the field on his own. When he got hit there with his old mask he was knocked out of the game with a concussion. From what I've read, he's had a cut on his chin from something else before. So the mask definitely did its job.

2 minutes ago, gnhbua93 said:

I doubt that there will be a V3, because that mask performed well. 96mph fouls ball to the chin is the worst. It's amazing that he walked off the field on his own. When he got hit there with his old mask he was knocked out of the game with a concussion. From what I've read, he's had a cut on his chin from something else before. So the mask definitely did its job.

linky linky?

1 minute ago, gnhbua93 said:

Weird that the Minnesota Twins doesn't own the domain www.twins.com

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

July 23rd injury ...same as last night, ......same mask..........

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/191286572/twins-kurt-suzuki-cut-on-chin-by-foul-tip/

1 minute ago, scrounge said:

Well, again....if the price of avoiding a bruise on my brain is a little cut on my chin? Sorry, chin, but you're getting cut.

understood.... but 8 stitches isn't a 'cut' ....  I agree it's better than a concussion no doubt, but ...why the gash?