Quest

Guest Nick
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2777 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

6 minutes ago, Omega194 said:

I'm going with a ball. If pitcher was in a throwing motion and the ball comes out while throwing arm is going towards the plate it is a ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is not a pitch unless it crosses a foul line. Don't make up rules.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Omega194 said:

I'm going with a ball. If pitcher was in a throwing motion and the ball comes out while throwing arm is going towards the plate it is a ball.

Time for you to invest in a PBUC/MLBUM or MiLBUM, where you would find this ruling which confirms that: "A pitched ball which slips out of the pitcher's hand and crosses the foul line shall be called a "Ball;" otherwise it will be called no pitch. If the ball does not cross the foul line, this would be a balk with men on base."

Which eliminates any ambiguity in the rule itself: "The pitcher, while touching his plate, accidentally or intentionally has the ball slip
or fall out of his hand or glove;"

• Like 1

Time for you to invest in a PBUC/MLBUM or MiLBUM, where you would find this ruling which confirms that: "A pitched ball which slips out of the pitcher's hand and crosses the foul line shall be called a "Ball;" otherwise it will be called no pitch. If the ball does not cross the foul line, this would be a balk with men on base."

Which eliminates any ambiguity in the rule itself: "The pitcher, while touching his plate, accidentally or intentionally has the ball slip

or fall out of his hand or glove;"

LMAO!!!! I have that sir. Like I have said I replied to the question off the cuff without the liberty of using the rule back and was wrong. It happens but from the sounds of it I am the only one that has been but hey life goes on. I will be wrong again one day.

5 minutes ago, Omega194 said:

Not looking at a rule book. I was attempting to answer the question like a game situation without the opportunity of talking to my partner.

Rule 6.02(b) Comment (Rule 8.01(d ) Comment ): A ball which slips out of a pitcher’s hand and crosses the foul line shall be called a ball; otherwise it will be called no pitch. This would be a balk with men on base.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Omega194 said:

Was not making up rules I was stating why I had called it a ball sir.

Rule 6.02(b) Comment (Rule 8.01(d ) Comment ): A ball which
slips out of a pitcher’s hand and crosses the foul line shall be
called a ball; otherwise it will be called no pitch. This would
be a balk with men on base.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Omega194 said:

Going by an 2014 NCAA rulebook - it hasn't changed (Maybe the numbers have). It is the only book I have on-line right now.

Rule 9.2b    The pitcher shall not intentionally or unintentionally drop the ball while in contact with the rubber.

Penalty: Paraphrased - no one on base and ball DOES NOT cross the foul line - no pitch. A Ball is called if it crosses a foul line. If there is a runner on base then it is a balk (unless it crosses a foul line).

The ball slipping out during the motion is a dropped ball.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, maineump said:

Going by an 2014 NCAA rulebook - it hasn't changed (Maybe the numbers have). It is the only book I have on-line right now.

Rule 9.2b    The pitcher shall not intentionally or unintentionally drop the ball while in contact with the rubber.

Penalty: Paraphrased - no one on base and ball DOES NOT cross the foul line - no pitch. A Ball is called if it crosses a foul line. If there is a runner on base then it is a balk (unless it crosses a foul line).

The ball slipping out during the motion is a dropped ball.

I agree but the semantic issue is only addressed by PBUC. A ball dropped while standing on the rubber could be a no pitch, a ball (unlikely), or a balk. A pitched ball could also be one of the three and the drop would possibly be when the pitcher was not in contact with the rubber.

7 hours ago, noumpere said:

Thanks - I had my book in my bag - just was at work and only had that one on my work puter :) 

9 hours ago, JohnnyFever said:

By definition, a pitch is a ball delivered to a batter. If the ball doesn't make it to the foul line it hasn't been delivered.  Balk. 

Hmm...

If a batter is hit by the pitch (not necessarily on a situation like the OP) in the front of the box (before the ball reaches the foul lines)?

If (as in the OP) the ball is rolling toward the plate and the batter swings / golfs at the ball and hits it?

I think we all know how to handle those two (despite any literal definition issues), but what if in the second situation the batter swings and misses, and then the ball stops before reaching the foul lines?  ;)