Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
1 minute ago, maven said:

Don't we have a thread on this?

I don't know, do we?  Not in the professional section

I guess not: Gil has one from a different game (same teams, but West had the plate) where Kipnis had a check swing. He checks a lot.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, johnpatrick said:

Good job by Big Joe West on waiting for the appeal ruling by U3 before making his call.

But Joe had to remind U3 that he needed a ruling on the swing. PU would normally call that a swing but catcher blocked him and he gestured to U3. U3 must have been following the throw. Messed up, which is why they gave Mattingly a little leash.

But at least Joe reenforces the "make no call" mechanic which some here consider advanced and not suitable for amateur umps.

• Like 1

On Wednesday, September 07, 2016 at 8:59 AM, johnpatrick said:

Good job by Big Joe West on waiting for the appeal ruling by U3 before making his call.

Why did he wait?  There were no outs.  The stolen base attempt was a play that needed to be ruled on.  Whether or not the batter swung/struck out or not is irrevalent.  I can see if the K was the 3rd out, but in this case it wasn't.  The ruling on the check swing had no bearing on the call at 2B.  Just my $0.02

On Wednesday, September 07, 2016 at 1:37 PM, Jimurray said:

But at least Joe reenforces the "make no call" mechanic which some here consider advanced and not suitable for amateur umps.

If the K was the 3rd out of the inning, I agree.  But, there were no outs at the time of the play.  A ruling on the stolen base attempt needed to be made. The swing/no-swing call had no bearing on the play West had at 2B.

8 minutes ago, UmpJeff said:

Why did he wait?  There were no outs.  The stolen base attempt was a play that needed to be ruled on.  Whether or not the batter swung/struck out or not is irrevalent.  I can see if the K was the 3rd out, but in this case it wasn't.  The ruling on the check swing had no bearing on the call at 2B.  Just my $0.02

3-2 count. That was ball 4. 

14 minutes ago, Stk004 said:

3-2 count. That was ball 4.

Missed that one...

Thanks for alerting me.  I stand corrected...

• Like 1