Evans article

krwill96
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2777 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, krwill96 said:

When I first saw this on Twitter I thought, "Oh great an article bashing umpires." But, it turned out to be a great article. Some good insight to MLB umpiring from a legend.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2016/08/28/major-league-umpiring/89516532/

What do you suppose those last two lines mean?

Great article BTW. 

12 minutes ago, Stk004 said:

What do you suppose those last two lines mean?

Great article BTW. 

This?

“Instant replay was inevitable and it’s here to stay,” he said. “I just wish they’d spent more money on training umpires. I had a reputation as a good umpire, but I could’ve probably been better with a little more teaching.

I take it to mean that once in the show the Umpires did not get continued training from MLB.... but that's a guess on my part

@stkjock & @Stk004 I'm with stkjock in that the training is lacking as you move up the ranks. For those who've been in the game, how much instruction is there for guys in MiLB? I know they're evaluated multiple times throughout the season but anything in spring training? Also in the MLB is there many educational opportunities for these guys? From what Evans said here I would say there wasn't during his time. He received a position with the umpire development program a few years ago correct? Is he doing anything to change the lack of training?

• 2 weeks later...

Evans school was booted out of the PBUC "rotation" and if I understand it correctly he is no longer involved in any official training.

Based on talking to those who when to Evan's school he is still very bitter with the union for not getting him "his" job back (He was released and not rehired in the mass resignation) in 1999 and with MLB for not taking him back when they took back guys like Bob Davidson and Angel Hernandez. I think the comment was a subtle backhand that he was very good, and while he could have been better, he was plenty good enough to be rehired and wasn't treated well at the end of his career by not being rehired.

13 hours ago, Jasper_C said:

Evans school was booted out of the PBUC "rotation" and if I understand it correctly he is no longer involved in any official training.

Based on talking to those who when to Evan's school he is still very bitter with the union for not getting him "his" job back (He was released and not rehired in the mass resignation) in 1999 and with MLB for not taking him back when they took back guys like Bob Davidson and Angel Hernandez. I think the comment was a subtle backhand that he was very good, and while he could have been better, he was plenty good enough to be rehired and wasn't treated well at the end of his career by not being rehired.

As of 2014 he was serving as a special advisor to the president of minor league baseball on umpire related matters. While this seems more like a middleman job between the umpires and the president than a training position, he still seems to be involved in umpiring at least at the minor league level.

Source: http://m.milb.com/news/article/20141126102507214

Good to know, I have never met him but he seams very knowledgeable about the game and prior to the mass resignation incident he seamed like he was on pace to get quite a few WS assignments as a crew chief. Like I said, I have no first hand knowledge but have ready some articles and know some guys from both pro-schools and was trying to read between the lines.

Jasper