Force3 Defender Mask V1 or V2?

umpire20
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2131 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Hey guys,

I ordered a Force3 Defender mask from UA about a month ago and I am enjoying it thoroughly! I have started to look into ordering replacement pads and a Wilson harness for the mask, but I realized I do not know what version of the mask (V1 or V2) that UA sent to me. I noticed on the Force3 website that replacement pads are only sold for the V1 as far as I can tell, but I do not know which version I have. Is there any way to distinguish between the two different versions of the mask? Looking at pictures, the masks seem almost identical.

@gnhbua93 thank you so much! Now I know that I have the V2. I didn't like the feel of the Force3 harness on my head and I have heard good things about the Wilson harness, so I have decided to give it a try. Any idea where I can get replacement pads for the V2?

3 hours ago, umpire20 said:

@gnhbua93 thank you so much! Now I know that I have the V2. I didn't like the feel of the Force3 harness on my head and I have heard good things about the Wilson harness, so I have decided to give it a try. Any idea where I can get replacement pads for the V2?

I would contact Force 3 and see if the replacement pads they sell would work. On another note, what is it about the harness you don't like?

53 minutes ago, umpstu said:

I would contact Force 3 and see if the replacement pads they sell would work. On another note, what is it about the harness you don't like?

I don't like the harness either. You really have to pull it up and out to get it around your head. The difference in material makes the harness ride up really high on your head and unnecessarily difficult to put on. Perhaps I'll replace the harness as well.....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stk004 said:

I don't like the harness either. You really have to pull it up and out to get it around your head. The difference in material makes the harness ride up really high on your head and unnecessarily difficult to put on. Perhaps I'll replace the harness as well.....

These are my exact feelings about the harness.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stk004 said:

Keep us posted.

• 1 year later...
On 8/30/2016 at 2:52 PM, Stk004 said:

I put a MLB harness on my V1 today. Much better. 

@Stk004 Any real difference between V1 and V2 besides a little more weight?  I know there is 1 more spring on V1 also... but does that make it safer or people just complained about weight so they went to 3 springs?

Thanks

On 5/23/2018 at 11:05 AM, wolfe_man said:

@Stk004 Any real difference between V1 and V2 besides a little more weight?  I know there is 1 more spring on V1 also... but does that make it safer or people just complained about weight so they went to 3 springs?

Thanks

Sorry this took so long. I actually haven't used a V2, I've only had one in my hands once or twice. The V1 is heavy in my opinion, and I believe the three spring design was to reduce weight and eliminate that top spring pushing into your forehead on impact. @tpatience or @harrisonj23 might be able to shed some light on the V2. 

On 5/23/2018 at 11:05 AM, wolfe_man said:

Thanks

In my opinion, the V1 felt a little bit heavier than the V2. I never took a shot with either model so I can’t say anything about the spring design, but the weight did feel different.

• Like 1

I was shocked how much I preferred the v2. It's not just lighter but feels more balanced as well, especially with it snug as it's supposed to be. I've just sold my Diamond ultra lite in favor of an F3 v2.

• Like 2

@Stk004    I want to say that I called and talked to someone at F3, and they had came to the conclusion that the 3 spring design was just as protective as the 4 spring design, plus the diminished weight provided another benefit. I feel that the v3 is much more well balanced than the v1 was. I got hit with both on, and the v3 is certainly as much protective as the 4 spring. I felt the dull impact of a middle 80s tipped fastball, but no sharp pain. no headache. As with anything, the mask will feel incredibly heavy to anyone who uses some sort of ultra lite mask right now, there is an adjustment period. 

• Like 1

I just found a brand new Douglas version of the V1 (4 spring) for a really good price. I thought I'd give it a shot and was wondering how big of a difference there really was. I appreciate these replies. 

I started years ago with a Rawlings hubcap for a face mask, so I think I can get used to the weight.

1 hour ago, wolfe_man said:

I just found a brand new Douglas version of the V1 (4 spring) for a really good price. I thought I'd give it a shot and was wondering how big of a difference there really was. I appreciate these replies. 

I started years ago with a Rawlings hubcap for a face mask, so I think I can get used to the weight.

I believe it is something like half a pound weight difference between the v1 and v2.

What I am waiting for, is to see if they come out with a v3 or not? The mask has been incredibly popular as of late. Including watching the Philly-Dodger game last night were both catchers and the plate umpire were wearing one. 

• Like 2