Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
umpire_scott

Interpretation on bunt

Had a situation where a batter squared to bunt and was hit by a pitch.  I ruled that once the pitch came into his body that while he did not pull back the bat he was attempting to get out of the way and not attempting to bunt at the pitch.  My partner disagreed and said that in his mind once a player squares his body to bunt that he views that as the equivalent of bringing the bat threw the zone and therefore feels that he has committed to the bunt and it is an attempt at that point.

What are others thoughts on this?

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
26 minutes ago, umpire_scott said:

Had a situation where a batter squared to bunt and was hit by a pitch.  I ruled that once the pitch came into his body that while he did not pull back the bat he was attempting to get out of the way and not attempting to bunt at the pitch.  My partner disagreed and said that in his mind once a player squares his body to bunt that he views that as the equivalent of bringing the bat threw the zone and therefore feels that he has committed to the bunt and it is an attempt at that point.

In baseball, while squaring to bunt, the batter must offer at the pitch for it to be a strike. Simply holding the bat doesn't constitue a "swing." So, in the OP, as long as the batter didn't attempt to contact the pitch with his bat, it's a HBP.

• Like 1

This can be a tough call. 

TC tourney, 18u. I was BU and being evaluated as part of a clinic.

Tight spot late in a close game. Batter squares, the ball comes up and in, and hits the batter as he's trying to turn away. My partner calls time and comes to me right away "Did he offer?" (he said later he was completely blocked out. Batter squares, pitch coming at him, and F2 stands up as well. Understandable)

From "C" with RHB, I've got a guy who after squaring to bunt, did nothing but try to twist away from the pitch. I have no attempt, DHC a little PO'ed at the call. I try to explain the batter needs to attempt to bunt the ball, not just hold the bat across the plate. He insists I'm wrong, but walked away mumbling under his breath.

FF to the post game evaluation. Our evaluator asked us what went on. We explained. He then tells me, good job calming down DHC, then comes the killer..He tells me, "while you have a good grasp on the rule involved here, from the "C" position, you may have been a bit straightlined, and didn't see that the batter actually pushed the bat forward towards the ball before trying to spin out of the way." He said from his vantage point just up the 1B line, he could easily see the bat come towards the ball first. 

Lesson learned. When in BU and batter squares, pay close attention to the bat AND his arms to be ready to determine if a bunt was attempted before the HBP. or any up and in pitch that makes batter turn away at some point. 

Oh, and your partner has made up some rules in his mind. :HS

9 hours ago, Richvee said:

This can be a tough call. 

TC tourney, 18u. I was BU and being evaluated as part of a clinic.

Tight spot late in a close game. Batter squares, the ball comes up and in, and hits the batter as he's trying to turn away. My partner calls time and comes to me right away "Did he offer?" (he said later he was completely blocked out. Batter squares, pitch coming at him, and F2 stands up as well. Understandable)

From "C" with RHB, I've got a guy who after squaring to bunt, did nothing but try to twist away from the pitch. I have no attempt, DHC a little PO'ed at the call. I try to explain the batter needs to attempt to bunt the ball, not just hold the bat across the plate. He insists I'm wrong, but walked away mumbling under his breath.

FF to the post game evaluation. Our evaluator asked us what went on. We explained. He then tells me, good job calming down DHC, then comes the killer..He tells me, "while you have a good grasp on the rule involved here, from the "C" position, you may have been a bit straightlined, and didn't see that the batter actually pushed the bat forward towards the ball before trying to spin out of the way." He said from his vantage point just up the 1B line, he could easily see the bat come towards the ball first. 

Lesson learned. When in BU and batter squares, pay close attention to the bat AND his arms to be ready to determine if a bunt was attempted before the HBP. or any up and in pitch that makes batter turn away at some point. 

Oh, and your partner has made up some rules in his mind. :HS

Just as with a full swing, you can start the bat then pull it back. Just moving the bat doesn't make it a strike. 

You're right: you must rule on whether the batter offered, even after he squares to bunt. Merely holding the bat in the zone is not an offer, as he must actively meet ball with bat to have offered.

There are no shortcuts to good officiating.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, scrounge said:

He can view in his mind that a chair is a giraffe, but it doesn't make it one. 

:rollinglaugh:

2 hours ago, Rich Ives said:

Just as with a full swing, you can start the bat then pull it back. Just moving the bat doesn't make it a strike. 

Indeed. Pushing the bat forward to meet the ball after squaring is an attempt. Squaring and then turning away of course is not an attempt. In my case, I didn't see the batter push forward trying to meet the ball prior to his spinning away and called no attempt. The view from the 1B line said differently. 

My main point is it's something we need to be very aware of from "B" or "C" in a bunting situation because there's a good chance PU can get blocked out on this and we're going to need to know if that batter attempted to bunt the ball or merely squared and pulled back.  

16 hours ago, umpire_scott said:

So I guess every time someone squares to bunt with your partner on the plate it has to be a strike eh?

6 minutes ago, JSam21 said:

So I guess every time someone squares to bunt with your partner on the plate it has to be a strike eh?

We have a term for that. 

Softball. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Richvee said:

Indeed. Pushing the bat forward to meet the ball after squaring is an attempt. Squaring and then turning away of course is not an attempt. In my case, I didn't see the batter push forward trying to meet the ball prior to his spinning away and called no attempt. The view from the 1B line said differently. 

My main point is it's something we need to be very aware of from "B" or "C" in a bunting situation because there's a good chance PU can get blocked out on this and we're going to need to know if that batter attempted to bunt the ball or merely squared and pulled back.  

So if I start a normal swing it's an attempt?  No checked swing possible?  I think not.  

Starting a bunt and pulling back is no different.

26 minutes ago, Rich Ives said:

So if I start a normal swing it's an attempt?  No checked swing possible?  I think not.  

Starting a bunt and pulling back is no different.

you're obviously not seeing this the way I'm describing or just looking to pick a fight, so I'll stop trying to explain the situation. 

• Like 1