Robot Ump

gnhbua93
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2763 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I think I must be the only guy on this forum that doesn't have a problem with automated strikes and balls. I don't think the technology is there yet, but it's getting close. When you can have multiple cameras (or laser sensors, or whatever) that can give a true 3-D view (not the 2-D view that you see on TV now) and can tell whether the ball "broke the glass", what's the problem?

Man I like Dave Valle but come on guys! They're talking like we have totally inexperienced umpires out there. None of these guys realize they've spent 10 years in the minor leagues alone, plus all the years before they went to pro school. This is ridiculous. Replay is getting down to guys being millimeters off the base, when exactly the ball hit the back of the glove, hell they even had to specify that the laces alone don't constitute a tag. You're telling me professional umpires miss 20% of 0-2 and 3-0 pitches? No way. Do these advocates for robo umps realize the plate is 3 dimensional? Do they realize that if any part of the ball touches any part of the zone it's a strike? I can't wait to hear them moan and whine about the top of a 12-6 curve touching the bottom thousandth of an inch of some zone set by some guy in a truck at the very front of the plate, bouncing into the catchers glove, called a strike. Then they'll want to rewrite the rulebook definition of a strike. Why not just have all "umpires" sit in a truck and radio in all calls after watching them on replay? Why even have umpires? Let's just hire college students to watch monitors for every game. Or let the announcers do it. These guys don't know the first thing about being an umpire. What happened to judgement calls? I, for one, trust the professionally trained judgement of an umpire. I trust them to manage the game and perform to their fullest capabilities on that field because of all the work they put in to get there. They're the best in the world at calling balls/strikes, safe/out, fair/foul, so let's let them do their job. 

:rantoff:

I really think that with MLBAM and sites like brooksbaseball using pitchfx data to show it, we'll see improvements from plate umps. Shoot, I'd use it to analyze my zone if I had access to it.

• Like 2

Just now, udbrky said:

I really think that with MLBAM and sites like brooksbaseball using pitchfx data to show it, we'll see improvements from plate umps. Shoot, I'd use it to analyze my zone if I had access to it.

I'd love to be able to look back on one of my games with this. 

Sure, the technology may soon enable tracking the ball's path to centimeter accuracy. But, the strike zone is not defined to that level of accuracy. Yes, the edges of the plate are well defined. But the upper and lower boundaries of the zone are not defined to that accuracy. Just throwing two horizontal lines on a 2D image of the pre-pitch batter's stance is not that accurate. Furthermore, it's not easy to do a better job than that! The strike zone rule, as currently written, probably defines the upper and lower boundaries to an accuracy of a few inches, at best. Unless the upper and lower boundaries are better defined --- and I am not convinced they can be better defined --- fantastic accuracy in tracking pitches will not make roboumps the ultimate answer to "getting the call right." Barring a dramatic rewrite of the strike zone rule, any use of pitch tracking systems will always involve human judgment of the upper and lower boundaries.

• Like 6

Bobby Vee calling for the installation of computer umps on every ballfield across America so we don't ruin any more kid's lives, and Dave Valle telling us pro umpires are being fooled when  F2's yank the ball into the zone......This is almost worse than watching/listening to campaigning politicians.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, udbrky said:

Oh, I'd love to have a few games with such a system. I try to call a by-the-book zone, and I at least think I'm pretty consistent, but something like this where I could calibrate my eyes to objective reality would be fantastic.

• Like 1

Every batter has a different strike zone. Will those be preset, or will they be adjusting the system on the fly?

Can't wait for the system to glitch. Was watching women's beach volleyball and the instant replay system kept going on and off-line. 

57 minutes ago, Mister B said:

Every batter has a different strike zone. Will those be preset, or will they be adjusting the system on the fly?

Can't wait for the system to glitch. Was watching women's beach volleyball and the instant replay system kept going on and off-line. 

"No, honey.  I am watching beach volleyball just to check on the replay technology."

• Like 6

Holy crap! I'm watching the Sox because the Cubs are in rain delay.

Steve Stone and the new guy they have just said they're anti robot ump, because the ball can catch the edge of the zone, and be caught mid-batter's box and be called a strike. The new guy also said the umps get graded and told what they missed after every game.

They're usually a pretty bad combo (Stone w/ Hawk), so I was surprised at this.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, udbrky said:

Steve Stone and the new guy they have just said they're anti robot ump, because the ball can catch the edge of the zone, and be caught mid-batter's box and be called a strike. The new guy also said the umps get graded and told what they missed after every game.

:clap:

41 minutes ago, udbrky said:

Stone w/. Hawk:  bad.  Stone w/ new guy: Good.  Connect the dots.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, udbrky said:

absolutely. Hawk is terrible. Stone seems like he says things that Hawk approves of.

He has to....their first year together, Stone was more independent and Hawk threw an absolute hissy fit. Sulked and got even more sullen, like a total baby. He even reconfigured the booth so he was sitting over ten feet away. Hawk ran to Reinsdorf after the year and they read Stone the riot act. 

I actively won't watch if Hawk is on, or at least turn it down. So glad he's only doing away games this year.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2016 at 6:40 PM, kylehutson said:

I think I must be the only guy on this forum that doesn't have a problem with automated strikes and balls. I don't think the technology is there yet, but it's getting close. When you can have multiple cameras (or laser sensors, or whatever) that can give a true 3-D view (not the 2-D view that you see on TV now) and can tell whether the ball "broke the glass", what's the problem?

I agree.

54 minutes ago, JaxRolo said:

Let me get this straight.

So MLB guys making $200,000 - $400,000 need help calling balls and strikes?

But us guys making $50 a game are on our own?! mmm...

YOU MEAN I'M ONLY MAKING $50 A GAME???????

I thought the rest was going to my Fed Umpire Pension.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JaxRolo said:

Let me get this straight.

So MLB guys making $200,000 - $400,000 need help calling balls and strikes?

But us guys making $50 a game are on our own?! mmm...

No no no.....Listen to Bobby V.  He wants these systems in every ball park in American to stop us from ruining kid's lives. :wink:

2 hours ago, Richvee said:

No no no.....Listen to Bobby V.  He wants these systems in every ball park in American to stop us from ruining kid's lives. :wink:

He'll go undercover to make sure this happens. He is the master of disguises