Greetings from Portland, Oregon

Mister B
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2815 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I got into this as our league requires Minors level coaches to umpire a couple games. It saves money and forces some of us to learn the rules. My son has started progressing beyond my coaching ability and his All-Star coach asked if I could volunteer to ump some of the district games. I guess the UIC of the tournament needed help as I was asked to work a couple of other games and then a State game. 

I enjoyed it. So I got myself some gear for behind the plate and look forward to working some more games. Don't know how far up I'll progress as I'm already grey, and not as quick as I used to be. Best of all, I love learning new things. 

I see umpires are very similar to teachers:

1. You are required to know a bunch more than the average person.
  2. The average person, believes that you don't know anything. And likes to remind you of that.
  3. The pay sucks.
  4. When you are working, you HAVE to be on. 

Thanks, looking forward to learning more. 

• Like 1

Welcome aboard! I started in a similar manner (coaching my kids through rec league, and then started umpiring when they were done when I was in my late 30s). This site has been an invaluable resource to me, and I hope it is to you, too.

...and I'm married to a teacher - your parallels sound accurate.

Welcome - I too started "late" when around 47 - going on 6 years now.  I tell the new guys the first years check (at least) goes into your gear, at least up in the PNW.

Hook up with one of the local associations:

PBUA - Portland Baseball Umpires

WCUA - Washington County Umpires Assoc

EBUA - Evergreen Baseball Umpires Assoc (in Vancouver, WA that I work with)

One or more also puts ads on Craigslist around Jan/Feb each year - just search umpire

There is also a Wendelstedt Umpire Clinic coming to Hillsboro in Feb 2017.  Might be a good start  for $150 before you pick up too many bad habits.

http://www.umpireschool.com/northwest-classic

• Like 1