Who has the tag, and where does he go to see it?

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2566 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

By the book -- PU has this.  He can either go up the line toward first a bit, and glance at R3 just before the ball gets to F9 and then turn for the catch.  Or, he can drop back on 1BLX and have a little (but not much) better look at R3.

If the crew is on the same page-- BU can drop back to just outside the 2B-3B baseline to get the tag-up.  PU can watch BR touch first.  As soon as the ball is touched, BU needs to bust in to the middle in case the ball is dropped and there's a play on BR.

• Like 1

PU has fair/foul, catch/no catch. PU gets as far as the play will allow him to and call to his partner, "I'm on the line, I'm on the line". After the catch or no catch, PU bust back to the POP to take the play on a tag up or touch of the plate if the ball drops. After his catch no catch decision PU can turn back and view R3 while he is running to get in position for a potential play at the plate. When BU hears PU taking the ball he should drop into the working area and watch both R3 and BR's touch of 1st. BU of course is responsible for all plays on BR and R3 back into 3B.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The way I have been taught dictates that in order of priorities, the tag at third is way below catch/no catch and fair/foul. If either of these two are muffed, some one may be getting an early exit due to umpire error.

Some clinicians are offering advice to get up the line and once possession and fair/foul are determined to get a peek at R3's location and be ready to get on the move for a potential play.

As others have mentioned, this is something that has to be done pregame and through on-field communications. It is particularly helpful to have a partner who has some idea of what he needs to do in situations like this.

• 5 months later...
8 hours ago, Ricci67 said:

I'm just starting out and was at a clinic Saturday where an ACC guy suggested dropping deep down 1B line extended and keeping an eye on third out of your peripheral. 

This is how I was originally taught but then last year our HS unit wanted us heading up the line towards 1st for the fair/foul, catch no catch and then making a quick glance to R3 to determine tag up. As we glance at R3 we then are moving back into POP for a potential play. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was also taught to drop deep into 1B line extended where 3B is just peripheral.  Focus on the catch/no catch, fair/foul call.  

The key is that R3 has to leave early by a LOT for you to consider getting this.  Anything remotely close, he's fine.

Running UP the 1b line and trying to get a glance as soon as you determine catch/no catch puts you in a predicament, imo, because you'll either..

• glance too quickly after the initial contact of ball to glove, and miss any bobble/drop/transfer on throw, which is crucial to not miss
  • or correctly stay on the catch til completion and voluntary release, which means by the time you glance back that guy has taken 3 steps and it was pointless to look back.

46 minutes ago, alex7 said:

I was also taught to drop deep into 1B line extended where 3B is just peripheral.  Focus on the catch/no catch, fair/foul call.  

The key is that R3 has to leave early by a LOT for you to consider getting this.  Anything remotely close, he's fine.

Running UP the 1b line and trying to get a glance as soon as you determine catch/no catch puts you in a predicament, imo, because you'll either..

• glance too quickly after the initial contact of ball to glove, and miss any bobble/drop/transfer on throw, which is crucial to not miss
  • or correctly stay on the catch til completion and voluntary release, which means by the time you glance back that guy has taken 3 steps and it was pointless to look back.

My understanding is similar to most people on this thread. Go as far up the first base line as will allow for you to get back for a play at the plate. Priorities are, obviously, F/F then catch/no catch then the tag up at 3rd. You have to at least look over at third, and then you can honestly tell anyone that questions you that you looked over at 3rd for the tag up. 

• 4 weeks later...

A recent camp I was at a MiLB AA guy instructed or "advised" the same as most folks here. Get as far up 1st base line as play allows, watch the fair/foul catch/no catch because those are priorities, then glance a quick peek toward 3rd for tag. 

As he explained it, depending how far down the line the R3 is, will be a good indication of whether he tagged up or not. I didn't necessarily like this thought process myself because to me that's taking a wild guess, but he is where a lot of us would like to be, so he is doing something right lol.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, S0M0TEITBE said:

A recent camp I was at a MiLB AA guy instructed or "advised" the same as most folks here. Get as far up 1st base line as play allows, watch the fair/foul catch/no catch because those are priorities, then glance a quick peek toward 3rd for tag. 

As he explained it, depending how far down the line the R3 is, will be a good indication of whether he tagged up or not. I didn't necessarily like this thought process myself because to me that's taking a wild guess, but he is where a lot of us would like to be, so he is doing something right lol.

It is a good thought. It's one of the pitfalls of the 2 man system.  Also, if you glance at that runner as the ball is touched by the rf and he is halfway down the 3rd baseline towards home, that's a pretty good indication he left too soon.   

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Know the field you're working on.  If it's a short porch down the right field line (<310'), drop back into first base line extended.  But, if it's a poke down the line, 320' or more, get out there a bit.  I do like when U2 can drop back behind the SS position in this case and take the tag up of R3 if you call out, "I'm on the line." Then, you can cut the angle to 3B line extended and adjust for the play from there.