Jump to content

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
umpire_scott

Funny F2

Recommended Posts

Doing a 13U AAA game today.  AAA is supposed to be the top talent but it sure didn't look like it.  First inning pitch comes in about 6 inches above the top of the zone.  F2 barely gets his mitt on it as it plunks me square in the mask and bounds out in front of home plate.  I'm a little annoyed of course.  After throwing the ball back to F1 he addresses me.  I'm expecting "sorry about that won't happen again".  Instead he asks me if it was a strike or a ball.  I just laughed.  I so wanted to say "A ball.  The same thing every close pitch is going to be if you keep letting me get hit".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

Had an F2 last week had to stand up and reach as high as he could to pull down a pitch. He goes "how close was it?" I said "missed by half an inch!"

 

Sounds like he was cereal about this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Had an F2 last week had to stand up and reach as high as he could to pull down a pitch. He goes "how close was it?" I said "missed by half an inch!"

 

Sounds like he was cereal about this.

Super cereal

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I worked a 12U game and got hit by 4 pitches in 1inning ...the top of the 1st inning...3 of which F2 never touched. I said, "C'mon, man! You gotta catch these pitches!"...loud enough that his coach could hear me. F2 looks at me and says, "You do your job and let me do mine." It took everything I had not to start laughing at him. Instead, I replied, "Young man, if you were doing your job, the umpire standing behind you wouldn't have gotten hit by 4 pitches this inning."

Praises to his coach, though. A new F2 came out for the 2nd inning. Smooth as silk after that. The coach did tell me post game that it was the starting F2's first time ever catching.

It didn't make the bruises any less sore...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UmpJeff said:

I worked a 12U game and got hit by 4 pitches in 1inning ...the top of the 1st inning...3 of which F2 never touched. I said, "C'mon, man! You gotta catch these pitches!"...loud enough that his coach could hear me. F2 looks at me and says, "You do your job and let me do mine." It took everything I had not to start laughing at him. Instead, I replied, "Young man, if you were doing your job, the umpire standing behind you wouldn't have gotten hit by 4 pitches this inning."

Praises to his coach, though. A new F2 came out for the 2nd inning. Smooth as silk after that. The coach did tell me post game that it was the starting F2's first time ever catching.

It didn't make the bruises any less sore...

I 12-year old told an umpire "you do your job and I'll do mine?".  That 12-year old's "job" would have been sitting on the bench and running wind sprints until he puked if I were his coach.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doing a 19U consolation game yesterday.  Bottom of the 5th VT winning 8-0, R3 with 2 outs (there is an 8 run mercy rule after 5 innings).  Pitch comes in high and tight.  F2 doesn't even get a glove on it.  Hits me square on the shoulder.  Luckily it was right where my hard plastic is.  Didn't really hurt at all.  What hurt way worse was the ball ricocheting off me towards the third base dugout and R3 coming home to extend the game.  We played the full 7 innings after that.   

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On July 18, 2016 at 9:35 AM, umpire_scott said:

Doing a 19U consolation game yesterday.  Bottom of the 5th VT winning 8-0, R3 with 2 outs (there is an 8 run mercy rule after 5 innings).  Pitch comes in high and tight.  F2 doesn't even get a glove on it.  Hits me square on the shoulder.  Luckily it was right where my hard plastic is.  Didn't really hurt at all.  What hurt way worse was the ball ricocheting off me towards the third base dugout and R3 coming home to extend the game.  We played the full 7 innings after that.   

Hate when that happens.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hate when that happens.
 


I hate it more when it happened 2 years ago.
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2016 at 7:30 AM, umpire_scott said:

That 12-year old's "job" would have been sitting on the bench and running wind sprints until he puked if I were his coach.

A melting snowflake? I doubt it... no way some 12 year old kids Mom would let you try and teach that kid the old fashioned way.

You would be better off sending a memo...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×