Your desire to no longer participate is confirmed........

Aging_Arbiter
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2688 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I always like to say that I have never ejected anyone.  However, in 20ish years, there were 2 occasions where I had confirmed someone's desire to no longer participate in that days contest.  This weekend at a tournament where the testosterone levels were high (16-18 little league (Big League)), Karma caught up with my @$$ in a big way.  I had 4, that's right (FOUR) confirmations in 1 game.  It started with a coach in the 1B coaches box on his cell phone........then there was an F Bomb dropped by 1 team....., an AC enticing said team from the opposing dugout....., and then an F Bomb dropped on the mound (infielders gathered most likely to discuss their AC that was just confirmed) to conclude the festivities.

10 hours ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

I always like to say that I have never ejected anyone.  However, in 20ish years, there were 2 occasions where I had confirmed someone's desire to no longer participate in that days contest.  This weekend at a tournament where the testosterone levels were high (16-18 little league (Big League)), Karma caught up with my @$$ in a big way.  I had 4, that's right (FOUR) confirmations in 1 game.  It started with a coach in the 1B coaches box on his cell phone........then there was an F Bomb dropped by 1 team....., an AC enticing said team from the opposing dugout....., and then an F Bomb dropped on the mound (infielders gathered most likely to discuss their AC that was just confirmed) to conclude the festivities.

Not playing devil's advocate here (okay, yes I am)...but I'm seriously not trying to be a jerk

(1)  Is there a rule against cell phones in the box in this league?  (Maybe there is...rule set would help.)  Even so, did you give him a warning first?

(2)  Was the F Bomb directed at someone?  At that age, I'm not ejected because some says, for instance, "no f*cking way blue, I beat the tag!"  Now if they say, "you're f*cking brutal," that's something else entirely.

(3)  I am assuming "enticing" means yelling at the other dugout and "starting sh!t". If so, no problems with this EJ (although I usually like a warning to be given first...which you may have done.  I wasn't there and maybe this is a HTBT.)

(4)  Players talking to one another and one of them dropped an "F Bomb" and you tossed??? I have to be missing something.

Either there's something more to the story than your short post indicates, or else I'm struggling to see how you can go 20 years with only 2 ejections after having these 4 EJ's.  So please, give details.

• Like 1

I'm going to have to agree with @lawump here.  Do you typically toss for profanity at that level?  #1 (if it was without warning), #2 and #4 sound like very quick triggers without me being there.  At this age, unless its profanity directed at me, I'm likely not ejecting.  Just my opinion, YMMV.

In Little league, yes, there is an ejection for electronic communication devices on the field.  (I'm pretty sure @Rich Ives could quote us a rule number) I believe it's somewhere in the 3.xx range.  Then,  #'s 2 & 4 were directed quotes at a decibel level that was heard by all in attendance. One (directed at me), from when a pitcher threw 2 pitches inside on their #4 hitter and thought they were trying to hit him and he apparently thought that I should have warned the pitcher instead of calling the pitch a ball, and the other expressed their disagreement from the result of me removing their coach (again, directed at me).  #3 was calling out the other teams manger and players by name when "starting sh!t".

These were 2 teams that had played each other in the past, so there was some initial "jaw jacking" and the "one-upsmanship" going on from the beginning.  Once the score reached something around 8-0 in the 2nd or 3rd inning............testosterone tensions began to rise quickly.

Using the phone to communicate with on field personnel is illegal. Warn before ejecting. BUT it means like dugout to coach or whatever among game personnel, It does not mean wife calling to say get milk on the way home or the coach calling his bookie.

Possession in and of itself is not illegal.

Stupid isn't illegal either.

3.17 - ... The use of electronic communication equipment during the game is restricted. No team shall use electronic communication equipment, including walkie-talkies, cellular phones, etc., for any communication with on-field personnel including those in the dugout, bullpen or field.

PENALTY: If, in the umpire's judgement, any player, manager, or coach uses an electronic communications device during the game, the penalty is ejection from the game.

NOTE: A manager or coach is permitted to use a scorekeeping and/or pitch-counting application on an electronic device without penalty, provided such device is not used to receive messages of any sort.

6 hours ago, Mudisfun said:

3.17 - ... The use of electronic communication equipment during the game is restricted. No team shall use electronic communication equipment, including walkie-talkies, cellular phones, etc., for any communication with on-field personnel including those in the dugout, bullpen or field.

PENALTY: If, in the umpire's judgement, any player, manager, or coach uses an electronic communications device during the game, the penalty is ejection from the game.

NOTE: A manager or coach is permitted to use a scorekeeping and/or pitch-counting application on an electronic device without penalty, provided such device is not used to receive messages of any sort.

This has been a problem (for me at least) in the high school summer league. Lots of young coaches using their phones for score keeping. I've caught a few texting away and told them to stop (I don't really want to eject on summer league when a warning will do). I'm pretty sure they weren't texting anyone on the field as they are usually the only coach and none of the palmers had their phones out. In summer league the coaches seemed more embarrassed that I caught them than anything. Reminded me a lot of a teacher catching a student texting and the student looking back with a look that said please don't take my phone away.

• 5 months later...