Cheering or Jeering?

rzanew
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2178 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Many of the youth league teams I work (10U/12U) cheer or chant when their team is at bat.  Generally, they are supportive of their team.  However there is one chant that I have been shutting down, as IMO, this is directed specifically at a player on the other team.

The chant goes: "3-2 what you gonna do, walk him, walk him".  

I tell the coach that in my opinion this is directed at the pitcher and is unsportsmanlike.  They can cheer on their own team, but anything directed at the opponents is verboten.

Am I being an OOO?  Opinions?

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
LoL at you guys who've never umpired girls softball, or varsity baseball. You need to get out more, fellas, as this is a normal thing.

This isn't about getting out more often. It's about the various rulesets over-legislating our jobs on the field. If there is a rule that covers it, and an opposing coach chooses to pick that rule to whine about, then we aren't doing our jobs as prescribed.

For the record, I do understand what you are saying but our hands become tied with the various associations and douche-monster tournament directors...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I had a strange experience several weeks ago, working a LL district play-off. Both teams were cheering their own players in a perfectly sportsman-like manner. But the game administrator announced that once the pitcher had started his delivery, cheering was not permitted. So we had moments of raucous cheering that stopped abruptly, followed by eerie silences (not even the parents were saying anything!), followed by raucous cheering once the ball was in play. It was like someone was toying with a volume/mute button.

Very odd.

20 minutes ago, LRZ said:

I had a strange experience several weeks ago, working a LL district play-off. Both teams were cheering their own players in a perfectly sportsman-like manner. But the game administrator announced that once the pitcher had started his delivery, cheering was not permitted. So we had moments of raucous cheering that stopped abruptly, followed by eerie silences (not even the parents were saying anything!), followed by raucous cheering once the ball was in play. It was like someone was toying with a volume/mute button.

Very odd.

IIRC - there's a rule in the green book about cheering and the start of the pitcher's motion?

29 minutes ago, LRZ said:

Very odd.

GA was wrong.

8 hours ago, kylejt said:

It's not our call, though.

LL 4.06 - No manager, coach or player, shall at any time, whether from the bench or the playing field or elsewhere -

(2)     use language which will in any manner refer to or reflect upon opposing players, manager, coach, an umpire or spectators;

20 hours ago, basejester said:

LL 4.06 - No manager, coach or player, shall at any time, whether from the bench or the playing field or elsewhere -

(2)     use language which will in any manner refer to or reflect upon opposing players, manager, coach, an umpire or spectators;

"He might be bunting, here"

"He's really fast, let's watch for the steal"

"Back up, he hit it over your head last time"

all refer to the opposing players. Where shall we draw the line?

4 hours ago, kylejt said:

"He might be bunting, here"

"He's really fast, let's watch for the steal"

"Back up, he hit it over your head last time"

all refer to the opposing players. Where shall we draw the line?

I'd draw it with all of those examples on the legal side.  If you have a problem, this is a rule available to use to solve it.

On 07/21/2017 at 8:49 PM, basejester said:

[

(2)     use language which will in any manner refer to or reflect  [negatively] upon opposing players, manager, coach, an umpire or spectators;

To @kylejt 's point....Actually pretty surprised they omitted a word here.

• 9 months later...
22 minutes ago, TOOBUKUSAN57 said:

What is the legal way of the hidden ball trick LL JR. LEVEL

This question belongs in its own thread.

The answer is:

1. the ball must remain live: if it becomes dead, play cannot legally resume until F1 has the ball and legally engages the rubber; and
  2. the pitcher without the ball cannot be on the mound (how close he may be varies by code: if LL copies OBR on this point, F1 cannot be on the dirt circle without the ball)

2 hours ago, maven said:

This question belongs in its own thread.

The answer is:

1. the ball must remain live: if it becomes dead, play cannot legally resume until F1 has the ball and legally engages the rubber; and
  2. the pitcher without the ball cannot be on the mound (how close he may be varies by code: if LL copies OBR on this point, F1 cannot be on the dirt circle without the ball)

OBR/LL - can't be on or astride the rubber.

FED - can't be within about 5 feet of the rubber.

NCAA - can't be on the dirt.