Almost perfect

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2840 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Last evening I did the best game I've seen so far this year. 1st and 2nd place teams in the league (ages 9-12), last game of regular season. The weather was perfect, 75 degrees and decent breeze. The pitching was quite good, very few walks. The batters were swinging the bats. The defense was great - even saw a triple play. Final score 3-0. They completed 7 innings in 1:20. No controversial plays.

It doesn't get much better than that. Yay!!!

• Like 1

Last evening I did the best game I've seen so far this year. 1st and 2nd place teams in the league (ages 9-12), last game of regular season. The weather was perfect, 75 degrees and decent breeze. The pitching was quite good, very few walks. The batters were swinging the bats. The defense was great - even saw a triple play. Final score 3-0. They completed 7 innings in 1:20. No controversial plays.

It doesn't get much better than that. Yay!!!

And here I am ending 1 run ballgames in the bottom of the last inning on retired runner INT calls.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

You realize that you probably just jinxed yourself for the next few games that you have.........:D

My next game went pretty well. The weather was not quite as nice but not bad. It ended bottom 9 (7 regulation) under the lights with a safe call at first allowing the winning run to score. It was a banger where I never had F3 on the bag but nobody complained. 

Tonite is when it all falls apart, maybe. :) 

I won't say I was jinxed but last evening felt like a tough game. Humid and cloudy. Had to get together with my partner (teenager) to help with some of his calls. He did okay but seemed tentative at times. I am still working on my timing, especially pitches coming that look like the (little) catcher won't get them. Poor kid had a pitcher just bringing it and was bailing quite a bit.

The coaches told me I did well. The league president was at the game. He told me I did better than the guy they had the night before for their 14U travel game. He said I am on for Monday. 

Another close game 7-6, 8 innings.

I will keep plugging away!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mussgrass said:

I won't say I was jinxed but last evening felt like a tough game. Humid and cloudy. Had to get together with my partner (teenager) to help with some of his calls. He did okay but seemed tentative at times. I am still working on my timing, especially pitches coming that look like the (little) catcher won't get them. Poor kid had a pitcher just bringing it and was bailing quite a bit.

The coaches told me I did well. The league president was at the game. He told me I did better than the guy they had the night before for their 14U travel game. He said I am on for Monday. 

Another close game 7-6, 8 innings.

I will keep plugging away!

Keep at it, man.  Glad to hear the feedback is good, but don't put a lot of stock in the coaches and league official feedback - don't get too high, or too low, is what I mean.  Those guys can, and will, turn on you in a heartbeat if they feel you wronged them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HokieUmp said:

Keep at it, man.  Glad to hear the feedback is good, but don't put a lot of stock in the coaches and league official feedback - don't get too high, or too low, is what I mean.  Those guys can, and will, turn on you in a heartbeat if they feel you wronged them.

Actually, I was a daddy coach in this league when my son played and I go to church with a few of the coaches. One of them also umpired the county travel league for several years. It may sound like too close of a relationship for some, but it seemed like the natural way for me to get into umpiring.

I definitely know I have a lot to learn. The game itself sure has a way of keeping one humble.

Thanks for the encouragement!

17 minutes ago, Mussgrass said:

Actually, I was a daddy coach in this league when my son played and I go to church with a few of the coaches. One of them also umpired the county travel league for several years. It may sound like too close of a relationship for some, but it seemed like the natural way for me to get into umpiring.

Not too different from my beginnings.  My first umpiring was softball - may God have mercy on my soul - when I lived in Hawaii, because a co-worker was an umpire AND had a kid in the league.  My baseball beginning was in Australia, in a town of about 25,000, so everyone in the baseball community knew everybody else.  You do what you can, and try to expand your 'world' beyond the local house league.

I have no doubt you'll do fine.  Being on a site like this, and getting your experience expanded by the solid umpiring minds here (not me - the other guys;  I'm here for comic relief), will sharpen your learning curve.  And being on a site like this shows your willingness to get better.

A wise old sage once told me, "If you're going to believe those who praise you, believe those same people when they tell you that you sucked tonight".

The moral is as @HokieUmp said; don't get too high and don't get too low.  You know in your heart when you've done a good job or not.   Let you be your own worst critic.