State Championship Assignment

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2846 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I've been assigned by my association to a HS state final this Saturday! This is my 5th year in the association. Over the years I've had a number of playoff games, including 1 regional. But this was unexpected...and it's very exciting! Now I have to review 4-umpire mechanics. The regional was 4-umpire also, but that was my only experience with 4-umpire mechanics during this millennium. Suggestions?

• Like 4

6 hours ago, JHSump said:

I've been assigned by my association to a HS state final this Saturday! This is my 5th year in the association. Over the years I've had a number of playoff games, including 1 regional. But this was unexpected...and it's very exciting! Now I have to review 4-umpire mechanics. The regional was 4-umpire also, but that was my only experience with 4-umpire mechanics during this millennium. Suggestions?

Just get in the book and ask questions.  Most of all, don't suck.

19 hours ago, JHSump said:

Suggestion:  as stated, don't suck.

Logistical question:  where you at for this?  I'd consider going, depending on the locale, but I'm at William & Mary all day for showcase games.  Does VHSL do any streaming or anything?

Congratulations.  Know your rotations as best you can and know every possibility for your movement for each batter when they step up to the plate.

I wonder how things would've turned out had I stayed in a place where associations were actually asked to pick people for assignments.  

Here the state office picks the state umpires.  While I have been fortunate enough to get two state assignments after being here a decade (and here that means working 4-6 games per assignment), I still think having officials associations choose who's the most worthy would be a better way to get all quality umpires into those slots.

Congrats man!

The 3B rotations are relatively simple in a 4-man. Keys here are to communicate with U2 when he is out (and watch him too) to see if you have to bust in or cover the ball. When he is in make sure to communicate with U1 on outfield hits, so as to not 'double cover' the ball.

When you have to come in to cover 2B - hustle and get there quickly, you want to be (and should be) there before the play happens.

Another thing to think about, concentrate on the pitch, as you are responsible on the check swing or FB. You are seeing it from a different angle, so concentration will help you adjust.

Most importantly - HAVE FUN OUT THERE!!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HokieUmp said:

Suggestion:  as stated, don't suck.

Logistical question:  where you at for this?  I'd consider going, depending on the locale, but I'm at William & Mary all day for showcase games.  Does VHSL do any streaming or anything?

Thanks @HokieUmp! I'll try not to suck!

The game is at Radford University, 10am. I don't know about whether VHSL will be streaming.

You might be interested to know I had a conference playoff a few weeks ago on English Field at VT. :) 

Have fun at William & Mary!

9 hours ago, RichMSN said:

Congratulations.  Know your rotations as best you can and know every possibility for your movement for each batter when they step up to the plate.

I wonder how things would've turned out had I stayed in a place where associations were actually asked to pick people for assignments.  

Here the state office picks the state umpires.  While I have been fortunate enough to get two state assignments after being here a decade (and here that means working 4-6 games per assignment), I still think having officials associations choose who's the most worthy would be a better way to get all quality umpires into those slots.

Thanks @RichMSN

I do feel lucky! And lucky that my association gets to pick!

9 hours ago, maineump said:

Congrats man!

The 3B rotations are relatively simple in a 4-man. Keys here are to communicate with U2 when he is out (and watch him too) to see if you have to bust in or cover the ball. When he is in make sure to communicate with U1 on outfield hits, so as to not 'double cover' the ball.

When you have to come in to cover 2B - hustle and get there quickly, you want to be (and should be) there before the play happens.

Another thing to think about, concentrate on the pitch, as you are responsible on the check swing or FB. You are seeing it from a different angle, so concentration will help you adjust.

Most importantly - HAVE FUN OUT THERE!!!

Thanks @maineump

My review is in line with all you advice. But you summarized it very nicely!