What do you do for a living?

Rhino
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2611 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

What type of career have you chosen that allows you the time off from work to do college ball? I'm just curious as I'm getting back into umpiring after starting a new career and would love to one day get to the college level. However, I am not sure I would be able to due to the time off from work it would require. 

Teacher.  Pretty much limits me to weekends and a couple local afternoon games. Kinda stinks since I would like to move up or at least do more college ball.  Seems as though most guys I know that do a lot of college ball are self employed or have jobs where they can more or less pick their hours or easily work on the road.  Insurance seems to be a common one. No doubt they make sacrifices though. 

I am a firefighter - great schedule to do college ball. I work 24 hour shifts, so having the time off for odd game times and travel is not a problem. Also works well for clinics.

• Like 1

I'm a system administrator with very flexible work hours and an understanding boss. It's not unusual for me to put in a few more hours of work after getting home late from a game. And I occasionally use some vacation time for it.

Insurance Sales.  The agent I work for, I actually met during basketball (we both officiate HS basketball) so he understood that I umpire college baseball.  I can work remotely, so I'll work from home at night if needed, or go into the office early if I have an mid-afternoon game. 

On 5/23/2016 at 11:41 PM, ricka56 said:

Because I umpire baseball, sometimes I'm late for my night shift, towel boy job at the Playboy mansion. 
Hef is cool with that.

That's funny, because I have the morning shift and he's always complaining about you.

• Like 2

Corrections officer.  We can do two doubles in a row and get four days off after.  Plus I'll take back to back vacations in April and May.  Most college games are double headers in the northeast to accommodate schedules due to the short weather season so you can potentially get 8-10 games a week.

• 2 months later...

Teacher. When I started out years ago great flexibility for college officiating.

These days, required hours on campus, longer school days make weekdays pretty hard to do. But a number of colleges appear to be moving to night games as colleges tighten academic demands on student/athletes.

• 2 weeks later...

Alumni relations director at a college. I take some vacay for officiating but my boss knows how much more insane I would be if I didn't have my therapy errgh.... Officiating sessions.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Chemical Plant Operator. Every other weekend off and when I do work a weekend I have that Wednesday and Thursday prior to it off. This allows me to have a pretty open schedule when I'm not required to work OT at the plant. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2016 at 3:28 PM, Rhino said:

What type of career have you chosen that allows you the time off from work to do college ball? I'm just curious as I'm getting back into umpiring after starting a new career and would love to one day get to the college level. However, I am not sure I would be able to due to the time off from work it would require. 

Im a college student and i make my schedule so i have an 8am class,which is a nightmare for a college student, and get out at 12-1 so i can have the afternoon/night to umpire. I stay pretty busy because when theres a 3pm game im one of the few people who can work it.

• 2 months later...

911 dispatcher. 

Great boss, I give her my schedule a month out and i get off any night before a game. (Normally work 12-8am)

If i get a game added shes also cool about getting me replaced. They also know id quit dispatching in a heart beat if I had to choose. I do 4 sports all year, and make more officiating. The real job is basically for insurance/retirement.