Which hand for mask

Guest Leftorright
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2874 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest Leftorright

Two-man.  R1 so BU in B. F/F past 1st base.  PU communicates to BU, "I'm on the line!" Ball is fair.  PU's mask already in left hand. Does PU point toward fair territory with right hand across body, switch hands with the mask and point fair with left hand, or point fair with left hand with mask still in hand? I would think it wouldn't be the third choice. 

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

9 answers to this question

1 minute ago, Guest Leftorright said:

Two-man.  R1 so BU in B. F/F past 1st base.  PU communicates to BU, "I'm on the line!" Ball is fair.  PU's mask already in left hand. Does PU point toward fair territory with right hand across body, switch hands with the mask and point fair with left hand, or point fair with left hand with mask still in hand? I would think it wouldn't be the third choice. 

To be honest with you I've noticed MLB umpires do all 3. I think the right hand across the body is the proper mechanic, but don't quote me on it  

Guest Leftorright

Thanks for your help.  I guess I've never taken the time to notice this when observing umpires.  I was just thinking that pointing with a mask just doesn't look as sharp.

I always use the hand on the side of my body that fair territory is. That's to say that for 1BL point with left and 3BL point with right (as PU). You can point with mask in your left hand or you can move the mask momentarily to your right hand and point with your left hand. I don't think you should point across your body (I don't think it looks good but I don't know if an acceptable mechanic).

8 minutes ago, Stk004 said:

To be honest with you I've noticed MLB umpires do all 3. I think the right hand across the body is the proper mechanic, but don't quote me on it  

There's a lot of things that the MLB guys do that we shouldn't do. It may be accepted but I don't think it's the proper mechanic. 

31 minutes ago, Stk004 said:

I think the right hand across the body is the proper mechanic, but don't quote me on it  

I don't know how I feel about this one. If you're going accross your body how are coaches and players behind you able to see the call? 

If i'm going up the baseline, I'm using my right hand when going up 3rd, left going up 1st.

Pro school teaches to use your left arm to signal with the mask in that situation. Similarly, on a foul ball up the 3B line, you would do the same thing.

You would definitely not switch the mask to your right hand, it always stays in your left.

I've seen guys point across their bodies, I don't care for that mechanic, but if it works for someone, fine with me.

YMMV

Many of my games are solo... that hard shot down the line where I have 1/2 a second to try and get into position to make a call with no help especially in A or D? No way I am worrying about which hand to juggle my mask into... mask is removed by and held in left hand just out of routine. If on the 1st base line then mask and arm are raise and pointing fair... if on the 3rd base line then right hand with no mask is raised.