CCA 4 man mechanics

PonyUmpire
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2924 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

So I'm working a 4 man game tomorrow, and I realized I left my CCA manual at home when I went on spring break  :( .Can anyone provide a quick crash course on CCA 4 man, namely fly-ball coverage and rotations for U3 (that's my position).  My main question is whether an umpire goes out on every fly ball, or just when it's trouble.  We're going to have a long pregame, but I'd rather not look like an idiot during it.

I'll summarize:

(1)  As for going out on every fly ball: let your crew chief decide.  When I'm crew chief, I state that we don't need to go out on obvious hits, but I do want someone out on every fly ball (even a can of corn) and trouble balls (possible home runs, ground rule doubles, fair/foul, etc.).  This is the method we use at the Legion World Series, too.  But just adjust to whatever your crew chief wants.

(2)  U2 is on the outside with no runners on base or R3 only.  When U2 is on the outside he has the "v".  When he is on the outside, U2 is the key.  Thus, if a ball is hit to the left fielder and you are not sure whether it is your fly ball or U2's fly ball, you need to glance at and read U2.  If you both go out...it is your fault.

(3)  With no runners on base, if U2 goes out, you have any play against the B/R at second base.  So, when U2 goes out, you need to bust across the left side of the diamond into the second base cutout.  [The plate umpire will rotate up and take any plays at third base and U1 will go home for an inside-the-park homerun attempt.]  As you get more experience, you don't have to necessarily go into the second base cutout to take a play against B/R.  For instance, you can take plays on the outside of the bag.  But, if you are not experienced, your best bet is to just hustle into the middle of the second base cutout.

(4)  With R3 only, if U2 goes out, you take R3's tag-up.  U1 will come in and pivot and take the B/R into second base.  [Be advised that this is a fairly new CCA mechanic.  It used to be that U3 would hustle into the second base cutout to take a play there against the B/R and the PU would take R3's tag-up.  If your crew chief is not familiar with this recent change, don't be surprised if he tells you that he wants you to do the old mechanic.]

(5)  When U2 is on the inside (any runners on base except R3 only), then you and U1 split the outfield.  U1 has F8 straight in and straight back.  On a ball that causes F8 to go back towards the fence, I tell my umpires to read which way F8 turns.  If F8 turns toward you in running back toward the fence, then you go out.  If he turns and opens toward U1, then U1 goes out.  However, the bottom line is that you (U3) need to read U1 as U1 is the key.

(6) With any other combination of runners (R1 only, R2 only, R1 & R2, R1 & R3, R2 & R3, bases loaded) you are either going out on the fly ball or remaining at third base (of course, if you remain at third base you may need to view R3's tag-up.)  But this is the best part of being the U3 in a four-man crew:  You either go out or stay put. 

(7)  The bad part is that you (U3) get left out of umpire rotation signals.  When the crew signals, before the first pitch to a new batter, their rotation (or reverse rotation) signals it is actually the PU, U1 and U2 signaling what they are going to do if you (U3) go out.  You don't need to be involved in giving the signals because you are either going out or staying put. Thus, you can feel left out; it can get lonely over there.  (That's part of the reason why they call U3 the rocking chair.)

(8)  With any runner combination that includes an R3 it IS okay for you to stand partially in fair territory.  In fact, if you stand in foul territory only, R3 will likely block your view of the plate area and you will not be able to rule on any check swings or see if a batted ball strikes a batter's foot/leg.  I usually straddle the line. 

(9)  If F2 makes a snap throw down to third base in an attempt to pickoff R3 (or even on a steal attempt by R2) take several hard steps into FOUL territory.  It will give you the best view that you can get.  I got MAJOR evaluation points on an evaluation for doing this on a pickoff attempt.

(10)  There are some advanced four-man mechanics that some MLB/AAA crews will use (such as having U2 go out on a fly ball, in certain situations, with multiple runners on base).  These are not CCA mechanics and, in my opinion, are too advanced for amateur umpires (who usually only work a handful, at most, of 4-man games a year) to attempt to use.

Good luck and have fun.

• Like 3