Junior Umpire uniform

rzanew
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2939 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

My son (age 13) has started umpiring in our local rec league (coach pitch).

Does anyone know where to get uniform shirts for him?  He is slightly smaller than most 7th graders.  He would wear a Youth Large size, if I could find it.  I can only find Adult Small, and that is way too big for him.

Any ideas?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At that age and level, why not just get him polo shirts from whatever big box store is near you? Tell him it's the retro-look: when I started, a lot of guys around here wore Elbecos or polos, plate and bases. If you spend big $ for the real thing, he's due for another growth spurt soon and you'll just have to shell out again, anyway.

I'd try officialschoice.com, if they have smalls they should work. Their smalls are pretty small (especially in the MLB styles). If they only have medium, buy one shirt and have it tailored. One shirt tailored will work for a junior umpire working one or two days a week, won't break the bank, and will meet a young teens appetite for looking the part. Just remember to take the chest protector onto the tailor with you so it can be fitted over it properly.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

On 3/7/2016 at 4:42 PM, Tksjewelry said:

I'd try officialschoice.com, if they have smalls they should work. Their smalls are pretty small (especially in the MLB styles). If they only have medium, buy one shirt and have it tailored. One shirt tailored will work for a junior umpire working one or two days a week, won't break the bank, and will meet a young teens appetite for looking the part. Just remember to take the chest protector onto the tailor with you so it can be fitted over it properly.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

theofficialschoice.com will work.

I had one of my kids, MUCH smaller than the average 7th grader last year.  I told him to get a navy polo and be done with it until he grew into the small sizes.   Check with the people he's going to be working for, but as a Little League UIC I would not be a stickler about getting someone involved.

Honigs.com has x-small shirts, but I agree with the folks above. Just find a navy (or whatever color they're wearing where he's working) polo shirt at Target or Walmart. I ran a Junior umpire program for a long time, and trust me, that's fine. Don't spend a lot, because A. He's going to grow out of it soon, and B. It doesn't matter that much.

If you really want an umpire shirt for him, I'd give Honig's a call, because they used to sell shirts in kids sizes, and may have some leftover.

Thank you for all the replies.

Honigs is out of the XS for the season.  Unless i'm missing something, officialschoice only has M-XXXL (not even a S).  

I'll try a plain navy polo shirt and see how that works out.