Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
Umpire in Chief

Umpire Camp/ Clinic Questions

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

What do you look for in an umpire camp or clinic?

How do you choose the camp or clinic which is right for you?

All the ones I have been to have been 'encouraged' by the conferences or associations I've wanted to join. Heard about JUCO camp a few years ago, went, and was asked to join the association.

Alabama JUCO also requires their officials attend a fall camp/clinic (put on by the JUCO assigner) each year for the first 3 years. Sometimes he will have 'higher' conference assigners join in so that the JUCO guys can be seen/elevated, so it's beneficial for the 4+ year guys to attend as well.

Self promotion and networking potential are probably high criteria for choosing camp/clinic.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Pick a good reputable one and you're good to go

When I'm looking for a camp, I first look at the instructors and how well-known and respected they are.  Secondly, I look at the geographical region and how my location is relative to that camp and the assigners that will be there.  Being from Missouri, it makes much more sense for me to go to (for example), a camp in Springfield, MO or Indianapolis, IN than it does for me to go to a camp in California or Arizona.  I also try to talk to other umpires I know who have been to the camp I'm interested in and ask them for their opinion and feedback.  Probably the most important for me is who are the assigners I want to get in front of and where will they be.  Granted, if some high level umpires see you and talk to the assigner, that could help, but the best way to move up (in my experience) is to get seen by the actual assigner and make the most out of your opportunities.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Umpire in Chief said:

What do you look for in an umpire camp or clinic?

How do you choose the camp or clinic which is right for you?

Location.  Price.  Not necessarily in that order.

I only go to get the box checked.  There's nothing they can teach me.

Sorry -- I misread the question.  I thought it was "what do most umpires look for in a clinic."  ;)

4 hours ago, noumpere said:

Location.  Price.  Not necessarily in that order.

I only go to get the box checked.  There's nothing they can teach me.

I don't know you, but I hope you're kidding about your second statement.

I also look for one that is reputable and that my fellow umpires have attended and recommend.  It's important to me to have quality instructors, classroom time, and field time.  Instructor/attendee ratio is important.  I want to be able to have a chance to run those fungo drills more than once - because if I screw it up, I want a chance to do it again to get it right.  It's important to have instructors that want to be there and that want to instruct and give me constructive criticism. 

Location and price are important as well.  If I'm going to attend a camp, I don't want it to cost me 1/2 of my season's earnings.

Hopefully this doesn't hijack the thread. 

How do you find clinics/ camps? I am from Nor Cal/ Bay Area, and have googled over and over looking for camps and have only found 2. And they each only have one weekend apiece. Hard to believe that's all I can find in such a populous area. 

If anyone has info on camps in Nor Cal. Please share. 

Thanks,

On 2/28/2016 at 10:32 PM, Dbellyflop said:

Hopefully this doesn't hijack the thread. 

How do you find clinics/ camps? I am from Nor Cal/ Bay Area, and have googled over and over looking for camps and have only found 2. And they each only have one weekend apiece. Hard to believe that's all I can find in such a populous area. 

If anyone has info on camps in Nor Cal. Please share. 

Thanks,

The best camp on the West Coast is Black & Blue Umpire Camps.  They have a few camps each year for both the 2 and 3 man systems.  If you're looking to get better or to move up that is the place to go.  I'd shoot them an email or check out their website.  The camps are always in the fall after the season is over but before schedules come out.  I hope this helps.

www.blackandblueumpirecamps.com

Reputation is the most important. Being knowledgeable, helpful, and accessible online are pluses. Cost and location are always a factor but so is ease, I'd rather have an all inclusive with hotel, most meals, and transportation as an option. I'm a terrible driver and even worse with directions, so not having to track down field locations, hotels, and food are always a plus to me. As@Umpirechick1 said, student to instructor ratio is something to really consider but I've yet to see an option for one-on-one evals and help (but I have only seen a few clinics advertised so some may have this). I'd gladly pay extra to go a day early, stay a day, or work later into the evening to get some one-on-one instruction.

Here the key thing: knowing the right clinic exists. I only know about three or four clinics, and two of those do I really know who they are intended for.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk