Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
JDavis225

2016 Camps

Well 2016 season is under way. I didn't get the schedule I had wished for but I'm grateful to have a few games. Looking forward to next season, what camps do you guys recommend for someone in Louisiana? Being here, I can travel to TX and Mississippi for games mostly and am willing to travel further if called for. Any ideas on where I need to be? I'm trying to make plans now so I can request off from my full time. 

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

The dates for our camps are:

Mid-American Umpire Clinic - Sept. 8-11

Mid-American Advanced Umpire Clinic - Sept. 15-18

Both will be in Springfield, MO. We are redesigning our website and hope to have it launched very soon with 2016 details.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MidAmUmp said:

Both will be in Springfield, MO. We are redesigning our website and hope to have it launched very soon with 2016 details.

I see it his highly recommended on this website. I just didn't think it would help with my geographic location. Once the website is updated, I might give it a shot. 

20 minutes ago, JDavis225 said:

I see it his highly recommended on this website. I just didn't think it would help with my geographic location. Once the website is updated, I might give it a shot. 

I'll send you a PM later. Geographic location isn't extremely important anymore at the collegiate level. The camp and instructors reputations are very important.

• Like 1

I have been to it twice. The non-advanced camp. Worth every penny and the training and contacts I have gotten have been invaluable. I plan on hitting up the Kansas City camp this year if possible.

Will help you master the 2 man system and improve your mechanics 1000%. On top of just being a lot of fun and a great group of guys.

Learn from the best! Everything else will work itself out!

I went to the Mid-American camp in Springfield (2-man) back in 2013, and it was by far some of the best money I have ever spent in regards to umpiring.  Jason and his instructors are fantastic, and I can guarantee that you will leave that camp a better umpire.  I would agree with Jason's point that just because the camp isn't close to where you live, doesn't mean it won't benefit you.  Umpiring is a very small world, and word of mouth (good or bad) about an umpire can spread very quickly and over far distances.  If you meet the right instructors, who like what they see, and they talk to the right people, you're likely to get a shot.  It's what you do with those opportunities that can make a huge difference. 

16 hours ago, MidAmUmp said:

*grumble* *grumble* - the only weekend this fall I already have something planned. Are you going to be doing a KC clinic as well? I've really wanted to get to one of your clinics and thought this would be the year.

2 hours ago, kylehutson said:

*grumble* *grumble* - the only weekend this fall I already have something planned. Are you going to be doing a KC clinic as well? I've really wanted to get to one of your clinics and thought this would be the year.

Do what you can to change your plans.  Well worth it IMHO.

Since we're talking camps.  Lets talk about each region on the country.  West, East, Central, Midwest, South and of course regionally inside of each area.  Just to give guys options.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ballgame said:

Do what you can to change your plans.  Well worth it IMHO.

Family obligations. One of those "this is really important to somebody I love" things.

10 hours ago, kylehutson said:

Family obligations. One of those "this is really important to somebody I love" things.

Understand.

Here are some camps to audition for NCAA in 2017.

Check what level they are each looking for.

The rest is up to you.

It is up to you to go to them, not them to come to you.

The old days of just having the best High School guys working the local Colleges and speaking up for you as part of your High School to get into the College group is not how things are done anymore.

Of course if there is a dearth of Umpires in your area it may still be possible by the old way of word of mouth, but for the most part it is going to the camps and being seen/discovered now, just like going to the 2 umpires schools in Florida if you want to umpire MiLB players and work towards the possibility of becoming an MLBU. Doug Harvey was the last Umpire hired into MiLB without going to an umpire school on a recommendation to a League President.

NCAA is going the camp/school route now so go to the camps and show them what you can, and cannot do, and get feedback from them about the opportunities for moving into different levels of the NCAA. And of course if you want to jump-start an NCAA career a little quicker possibly, go to one of the 2 schools in Florida also, but that is 'not an absolute prerequisite' to move into D1 and have a fine career at that level based on ability to get the job done.

There are never any guarantees that you will get to the level/goal you set your mind to, but many things can help to increase the odds of reaching your goal.

Good luck.

http://www.cbuadevelopmentcamps.com/

http://baseballumpirecamps.com/page/southern

• Like 1

You forgot blackandblueumpirecamp.com here on the west coast (they have both a two and three man camp). Also, if you are in the northeast. There is the Collegiate Officials Group (or COG).

BBUC is run by Billy Haze. COG is run and assigned by Darrin Sealey.

The main camps that I know of and that my bosses recommend are as follows.  On the west coast Black & Blue Umpire Camps. Midwest is Mid American and east coast is COG.  Now there are also several others such as southern/international camps, triple play umpire camps and the mike walsh memorial advanced umpire camp.  All of these camps will help you it is just very dependent on where you live the area which you want to move up too. And how you perform.  Go and getting seen can help jump start 10 years of evaluations but that goes both ways.

• Like 1

The main camps that I know of and that my bosses recommend are as follows.  On the west coast Black & Blue Umpire Camps. Midwest is Mid American and east coast is COG.  Now there are also several others such as southern/international camps, triple play umpire camps and the mike walsh memorial advanced umpire camp.  All of these camps will help you it is just very dependent on where you live the area which you want to move up too. And how you perform.  Go and getting seen can help jump start 10 years of evaluations but that goes both ways.