2016 NCAA Test Discussion

grayhawk
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2911 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question #34

The ball is dead and the pitcher is on the rubber in the wind up position. Before the plate umpire puts the ball in play the pitcher takes his throwing hand out of his glove and brings it in contact with his mouth, then wipes it on his pants and returns it to his glove. The correct ruling is:

• a.
    • Warn the pitcher.

• b.
    • Do nothing since time was out.

• c.
    • Before you put the ball in play, add a ball to the count.

• d.
    • Call a balk with runners on base and a ball with no runners on base.

5 minutes ago, gnhbua93 said:

b

The best reference I can find for this to be the answer is 6-1a:

While the ball is dead, no player may

be put out, no bases may be run and no runs may be scored, except that runners may advance one or more bases as the result of acts that occurred while the ball was alive (such as, but not limited to, a balk, an overthrow, interference, a home run or other fair hit out of the playing field)[/quote]

Agreed or do you have another reference?

Question #17

R2, 1 out. B2 hits a ground ball to the left side of the infield. The defensive team has a shift on and the shortstop is positioned in shallow right field. The third baseman is playing deep, but at his normal position. The batted ball hits R2 as he runs toward third. The ball has not passed the third baseman, but he cannot reasonably make a play on the ball.

a.  The ball is alive and in play.

b.  R2 is out for interference and B2 is awarded first base.

c.  R2 is out for interference and B2 is also out for his teammate’s interference.

d.  The ball is dead, but since no fielder could make a play on the ball, the runner is awarded third. B2 is awarded first.

Question #4

When interference occurs, unless otherwise provided by the rules, all other runners shall be placed at which base when the batter, batter-runner or a runner is declared out for interference?

a.  Last base legally touched at the time of the interference.

b.  Last base legally touched at the time of the pitch.

11 hours ago, Jimurray said:

So would you say you could balk a pitcher for attempting the hidden ball trick after a dead ball?

No, it's never a balk after a dead ball for the hidden ball trick.

By rule, the ball can't be made live w/o the pitcher having the baseball and to have a balk, the ball must be live.

Just now, grayhawk said:

Question #4

When interference occurs, unless otherwise provided by the rules, all other runners shall be placed at which base when the batter, batter-runner or a runner is declared out for interference?

Yeah, this question.  I put TOP base, but there are instances there it's TOI...go figure.

13 hours ago, johnnyg08 said:

Let's put all NCAA test questions in this thread.  That should keep it clean for those who want to see all of the discussions vs. a million separate threads.  I edited the post to reflect that.

I think that each question should have a separate thread -- otherwise the answers get all jumbled -- does "I think it's C" mean question 4, or 17, or 34?

11 minutes ago, grayhawk said:

Question #4

A.  See 2-51, AR1.  It's almost a direct quote

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, grayhawk said:

Question #17

R2, 1 out. B2 hits a ground ball to the left side of the infield. The defensive team has a shift on and the shortstop is positioned in shallow right field. The third baseman is playing deep, but at his normal position. The batted ball hits R2 as he runs toward third. The ball has not passed the third baseman, but he cannot reasonably make a play on the ball.

a.  The ball is alive and in play.

b.  R2 is out for interference and B2 is awarded first base.

c.  R2 is out for interference and B2 is also out for his teammate’s interference.

d.  The ball is dead, but since no fielder could make a play on the ball, the runner is awarded third. B2 is awarded first.

A.  See 6-2e (it was a change last year AWAY from the OBR interp -- which would have R2 out.)

2 minutes ago, noumpere said:

A.  See 6-2e (it was a change last year AWAY from the OBR interp -- which would have R2 out.)

I did see that, but the AR then goes on to say:

A.R. A runner is out when he is touched by a fair ball in fair territory before the ball has touched or passed an infielder.  The ball is dead and no runner may score, nor may runner(s) advance, except when forced.

So in one case, the infielder has to have a chance to make a play on the ball.  In the other case, the runner is out regardless.

22 minutes ago, noumpere said:

I think that each question should have a separate thread -- otherwise the answers get all jumbled -- does "I think it's C" mean question 4, or 17, or 34?

Perhaps we can quote the question we're discussing when we post?  If we don't do that, it does make the thread difficult to follow.  

I'm willing to go w/ the group on this...however, if we go separate threads, then I propose we add "Question #___  2016 NCAA test" or something along those lines as a thread title...under the premise that a thread titled "NCAA test question" doesn't help us much either.

A seperate post for each question would be best. Everybody taking the test has a different question 17.

Regarding the ball hitting the runner question. I think the key to that answer is this statement in the question. The ball has not passed the third baseman, but he cannot reasonably make a play on the ball. 

The rule reads   e.    A fair-hit ball touches a runner in fair territory before touching an infielder
or an umpire and before passing an infielder who has a chance to make a play
on the ball,

i'm leaning towards answer A The ball is alive and in play.

2 minutes ago, Forest Ump said:

A seperate post for each question would be best. Everybody taking the test has a different question 17.

Regarding the ball hitting the runner question. I think the key to that answer is this statement in the question. The ball has not passed the third baseman, but he cannot reasonably make a play on the ball. 

The rule reads   e.    A fair-hit ball touches a runner in fair territory before touching an infielder
or an umpire and before passing an infielder who has a chance to make a play
on the ball,

i'm leaning towards answer A The ball is alive and in play.

I agree.  It's just that the AR just below 6-2e contradicts that language.  I suspect the correct answer is that the ball is alive and in play.

1 minute ago, noumpere said:

I think this year that everyone has the same #17 -- but the answers might be in a different order.

I believe this is correct.  A friend called me last night about a couple of questions and we went through the first 20 and the questions were all the same, but the answers were in a different order.