Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
rjt6

Best Team Annoucers

Since we're in the "announcers" category, which MLB team has the TV announcers, and MLB which team has the best radio announcers?

Scully is a no-brainer, I also like the Giants (Kuiper, Krukow, Miller, Flemming) and the Reds guys (Thom Brennaman, Chris Welsh/Jeff Brantley).

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

I think one of the most level headed and competent teams out there are the Cubs with Len Kasper on TV and Pat Hughes on radio.

• Like 2

I am a member of Red Sox Nation -

Gotta go with Don Orsillo and Jerry Remy. The radio guys have been there for years as well. I think they all got rings when the Sox won the WS. They kept everyone in the game, when it was slow and were always entertaining. You all know how a Sox / Yankee game can take forever. Remy, as the color guy, is not as up on the rules as he could be, but he can make them up with the best :).

Good news for Padres fans and bad news for us - Don has moved to the west coast.

Not sure who they hired to replace him in Boston.

• Like 1

Yankee fan here, and I watch the Mets more than the Yankees. Darling, Cohn, Hernandez are fun to listen to. YES needs to get two three guys and stick with them instead of rotating band of fools with Kaye, O'neil, Flaherty, Cone, Singleton, Leiter, et.al.  Singleton and Leiter are the best of that bunch. Yankee radio with Sterling and Waldman is basically "unlistenable" 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Richvee said:

Yankee fan here, and I watch the Mets more than the Yankees. Darling, Cohn, Hernandez are fun to listen to. YES needs to get two three guys and stick with them instead of rotating band of fools with Kaye, O'neil, Flaherty, Cone, Singleton, Leiter, et.al.  Singleton and Leiter are the best of that bunch. Yankee radio with Sterling and Waldman is basically "unlistenable" 

Agree about Sterling and Waldman.  HORRENDOUS.  Especially if you remember the days of Messer, White and Rizzuto.

44 minutes ago, conbo61 said:

Agree about Sterling and Waldman.  HORRENDOUS.  Especially if you remember the days of Messer, White and Rizzuto.

I do indeed. Grew up with those guys on the transistor under my pillow.

• Like 1

I miss listening to Rex "The Wonderdog" Hudler do color for the Angels.

@maineump mentioned the Padres. Ted Lightner, who does the radio broadcast, is amazing. He is more of a Homer than Scully. But he tells it how it is and is very entertaining. 

Also... I highly recommend tuning into Mariners games. Dave Simms and Rick Rizz are REALLY good.

8 hours ago, Richvee said:

I do indeed. Grew up with those guys on the transistor under my pillow.

That was when the same team did TV and radio.  Kept swapping back and forth. Didn't they add Fran Healy?

On Sundays I remember rushing home from church to catch the last 45 minutes of the Abbott and Costello movie channel 11 showed every Sunday and then the pre-game.

During the week was great as well, after the game stay up and watch the Ch. 11 news with the BEST sportscaster no one ever heard of - Jerry Girard.  The man was hilarious.  Then right into an episode of "The Odd Couple."

Those were the days.

• Like 1

I admit that I'm a member of Red Sox Nation also, and I live in NY. I thought that the Orsillo/Remy pairing was the best in the business, and while I admit my bias, I have DirecTV and XM in the car, so I hear just about everyone out there, and really can be somewhat impartial. Sims (who was a broadcaster for WFAN radio here in NY years ago) and Rizz are also very good. Vin Scully is the king! He will be missed more than he realizes. I enjoy Pat Hughes for the Cubs. I like Cohn/Darling/Hernandez with the Mets (except when Keith starts talking about the uniforms! LOL!) The Blue Jays broadcast team is also very good: Buck Martinez, Pat Tabler, Gregg Zaun, and radio guy Jerry Howarth. I remember when Tommy Hutton and Hank Greenwald broadcast the Yankee games on radio, I used to listen to them all the time (before XM!) because I thought they were fair and really good! I can't listen to Suzyn Waldman and John Sterling, although I think that Ken Harrelson is even worse for the ChiXSox...Also like Jon Miller of Giants and for years was the lead broadcaster on Sunday Night Baseball with Joe Morgan, and Charley Steiner now of the Dodgers but prior to that was broadcasting for the NY Yankees, and also has done stints on XM and ESPN. I hope Don Orsillo is well-received in San Diego, he will be sorely missed in Red Sox Nation...a NESN executive did him wrong!

• Like 2

On 02/09/2016 at 4:34 PM, Gentry82 said:

I admit that I'm a member of Red Sox Nation also, and I live in NY. I thought that the Orsillo/Remy pairing was the best in the business, and while I admit my bias, I have DirecTV and XM in the car, so I hear just about everyone out there, and really can be somewhat impartial. Sims (who was a broadcaster for WFAN radio here in NY years ago) and Rizz are also very good. Vin Scully is the king! He will be missed more than he realizes. I enjoy Pat Hughes for the Cubs. I like Cohn/Darling/Hernandez with the Mets (except when Keith starts talking about the uniforms! LOL!) The Blue Jays broadcast team is also very good: Buck Martinez, Pat Tabler, Gregg Zaun, and radio guy Jerry Howarth. I remember when Tommy Hutton and Hank Greenwald broadcast the Yankee games on radio, I used to listen to them all the time (before XM!) because I thought they were fair and really good! I can't listen to Suzyn Waldman and John Sterling, although I think that Ken Harrelson is even worse for the ChiXSox...Also like Jon Miller of Giants and for years was the lead broadcaster on Sunday Night Baseball with Joe Morgan, and Charley Steiner now of the Dodgers but prior to that was broadcasting for the NY Yankees, and also has done stints on XM and ESPN. I hope Don Orsillo is well-received in San Diego, he will be sorely missed in Red Sox Nation...a NESN executive did him wrong!

Yankee fan here who'd much rather listen to Remy and a Sox game over Suzyn and Sterling. 100% right on about the Giants.Love listening to all of them..Miller, Flemming, Krukow and Kuiper.

• Like 2

We'll take Don Orsillo, here in San Diego, as Dick Enberg, although a very nice fellow and a historic voice, lags behind Mark Grant, our TV color guy. I think that will be a nice transition. Thank you NESN.

Ted Leitner is an under appreciated jewel, and does yeoman's work here in town. San Diego State football and basketball, and Friars games. He was able to pry fabulous Yankees and WWII stories from Jerry Coleman for many, many years, which were always the highlight of any Padres broadcast. "What'd ya do today, Jerry?" was my favorite part of the radio show.

• Like 1

I love the MLB App because it allows you to listen to games from all over the country. So far my favorites have been the guys in St. Louis, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Houston. They all do really well and have fun with their jobs.

I also love it because I get to listen to more than just my local team. Dave Simms and Rick Rizz in Seattle are highly underrated due to being here in the Northwest. The four headed monster in San Francisco is also really good. But I also am a bit biased being a Giants fan and growing up in the Bay Area.

But for my money... The best are in San Diego and, if you can get him, Vin Scully in LA. I love listening to announcers that are not afraid to beat on their team if they are doing poorly. And the guys here on the west coast (Miller in SF, Lightner in SD, Scully in LA, and Rizz/Simms in SEA) will pull no punches.

• Like 2

On 2/12/2016 at 7:37 PM, Richvee said:

. . . . 100% right on about the Giants.Love listening to all of them..Miller, Flemming, Krukow and Kuiper.

Me too.  Their postgame wrap and Kruk & Kuip on Baseball are available as podcasts on the KNBR website, for anyone really interested.

The best is easy to have a great argument on. Many good ways out there. The easier thing is the worst is White Sox PBP on TV. There is nobody worse than Hawk in any sport. He makes Dickie V tolerable to listen to.

• Like 2

On 2/16/2016 at 6:29 PM, Minnz said:

The best is easy to have a great argument on. Many good ways out there. The easier thing is the worst is White Sox PBP on TV. There is nobody worse than Hawk in any sport. He makes Dickie V tolerable to listen to.

I disagree. Try Waldman and Sterling. In order to be terrible they would have to get better.

See here: Horrifying

• Like 1

I'm a huge Giants fan so I'm obviously biased but I rather like Kruk, Kuip and Miller. I'm also partial to Krukow because I went to the same school as he did (so did Ozzie Smith and John Madden).

Ray Fosse from the A's is also good but I don't think he's as good as the Giant's guys.  Milo Hamilton will always have a special place in my heart also. 

23 hours ago, Kevin_K said:

I disagree. Try Waldman and Sterling. In order to be terrible they would have to get better.

See here: Horrifying

The Sterling bloopers are classic. My favorite....

"Tex hits a 2 run bomb, and the game is tied at one. ":eek:

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 11:42 AM, BT_Blue said:

Rick Rizz in Seattle .

Ha ha--that brings back memories of when Rick was on the Tigers broadcast team that replaced Ernie Harwell. Poor bas---rd was actually pretty good, but no way anybody in Detroit was ever going to admit it.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 7:53 PM, andydufresne said:

Ha ha--that brings back memories of when Rick was on the Tigers broadcast team that replaced Ernie Harwell. Poor bas---rd was actually pretty good, but no way anybody in Detroit was ever going to admit it.

At the time, there wasn't anyone who could step into that position and succeed.  But, Dan Dickerson does a damn good job!  Jim Price, on the other hand, well let's just say...

I like the old Fox team...

Joe Suck and Tim McBarfer