Keeping a Lineup Card

fallschum04
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2996 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I've been umpiring for a while now (at least with my certification). I haven't been able to do many high school games due to my work schedule so I've never had to keep a lineup card as most, if not all of my games, have been continuous lineup. My work schedule has changed and it allows me to work earlier which means more high school games.

I am wondering through the experience in these forums, what are some of the tricks and tips to keeping a consistent lineup card? I remember talking about it five years ago in my certification classes, but over five years of not using it, I forget some of the tips that were told to me.

There will probably be several suggestions given here. Use what works for you. 

1. You should keep track of courtesy runners on LU cards for both F1/F2 (CRP/CRC). On front, if space is available. On back if not. 
2. You should keep track of defensive conferences on LU cards. On front, if space is available. On back if not. 
3. You should keep track of offensive conferences on LU cards (if you're forgetful like me). On front, if space is available. On back if not. 

When a sub comes in, I circle the starter (who has re-entry status), write in the sub's number in that batting order slot. When the sub or the re-entered starter is replaced, cross out their name/number (they're done for the game). 

There are so many ways that guys do them, just run through some scenerios and invent your own. It might be easier to remember and you will always be consistant.

I use pens, pencils - depends on the weather, circles, numbers, cross out subs, notes on back. It really depends on what type of line-up card they give you. I like the hard copy, some like the front copy, some are smaller than others. It might change day to day depending on the size of the card you get.

It makes it much easier to keep a card if they have the subs listed properly.

• Like 1

There will probably be several suggestions given here. Use what works for you. 

1. You should keep track of courtesy runners on LU cards for both F1/F2 (CRP/CRC). On front, if space is available. On back if not. 
2. You should keep track of defensive conferences on LU cards. On front, if space is available. On back if not. 
3. You should keep track of offensive conferences on LU cards (if you're forgetful like me). On front, if space is available. On back if not. 

When a sub comes in, I circle the starter (who has re-entry status), write in the sub's number in that batting order slot. When the sub or the re-entered starter is replaced, cross out their name/number (they're done for the game). 

4. Warnings :rolleyes:

Use numbers, 1-...., for substitute pitchers. Letters for any other substitution. I saw a you tube video long time ago that an MLB umpire showed his method. I've been trying to find again without any luck.

I had to go through my archives, since I couldn't find it online either...is this the video you are talking about?

Ask the Ump_ Lineup Cards with Mike Di Muro.mp4