Sun Glasses

Cato the Younger
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2991 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I've heard good things about ESS Eyewear (an Oakley subsidary), specifically the Crossbow Supressor, which I think I'll probably give a go this coming year.

Those look nice especially for 35 bucks!

Thanks for posting this.

Plus their "battle rated" according to the Amazon ad perfect for what we need for umpiring :P

I have been using the ESS for the last 5 seasons. I love the feel and the way they look. I have replaced the lenses twice due to scratches...high dust levels do take a toll after time no matter how careful you are in cleaning and care. I have the CrossHair frames and accept all of the Cross series lenses. I toyed with the idea of getting the polarized lens for this year but at $110 it's hard to justify simply replacing the lens when I could spend the same amount or slightly more and getting Prizms...

• 2 weeks later...

Used some ancient Oakley M Blades forever, just bought a pair of the Evoshield Evoscopes in matte black...They come with the red lens and a pair of smoke lens...got them on eBay from bpathletics...He had them on a best offer, got them for $59.00 plus $5.95 shipping....I like them, very similar to the Oakley Half Jackets....They are still $99.99 at places like Dick's Sporting Goods...

Edited by ScottFaulkenberry
  • Like 1

I wear Oakley fast jackets and while they were expensive, I feel they were worth every penny. I can quickly change lenses between innings from polarized lenses to amber or vice versa as needed. I'm going to add a set of clear lenses for night games behind the plate.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am actually not a big fan of paying for overpriced umpire specific sunglasses.  I wear a pair of Arnette polarized lenses. Great prices for well under $100 and work very well. I have the black frames for the field.

On December 23, 2015 at 9:33 PM, gnhbua93 said:

Is Prizms not Prisms. Baseball Prizms Infield or Baseball Prizms Outfield?

When I bought my Oakley Prizms last year there weren't 2 different options for infield and outfield. From the description on their website it seems like mine are the infield ones. I can't speak highly enough of these lenses. I have always worn a dark grey tint so I was worried about the reddish tint of the Prizms. After wearing them for a season I can say that I like the reddish tint better for baseball than any of the grey lenses I have ever worn.