Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
ump570

Partner dispute leads to ejection

14U travel ball. R2 2 outs.  Ground ball to F6. I'm in C. I get to the working area and begin moving toward first base.  Throw comes into F3 high and to the back side of the bag. It initially pulls F3 off the bag, but I have a clear look and he gets back to the bag and steps on the back side of the bag with his left foot, facing me head on. I was not straight-lined in any way, and in fact had a very good angle considering the play started with me in C position. First base coach, who is an assistant, asks, "Do you have pulled foot. I thought he was off the bag." I say, "No coach, he got back in plenty of time. I had a clean look at the play. He asks, "Can you get help?" I say, "I don't need help on that, I had a good look. I have him out." He accepts my explanation and I head off to short right field. A few seconds later, I turn and see my partner and manager discussing something near home plate. They ask me to come over. The manager asks me, "Can you ask for help on that last play. He was off the bag." I say, "Skip, I had a clean look at the play. I wasn't straightlined and I wasn't screened by any other players. I will only ask for help on a pulled foot if I'm not sure if the player had the bag. On this play, the first baseman was facing me with both feet in plain view and since he touched the back of the bag I don't see how my partner could have a better angle. I'm only coming for help if I'm not sure." He grumbles a bit, and then turns to my partner and says, "What did you have?" My partner just looks at him, and then the coach says sarcastically, "Oh, you can't say." I then look at the coach and say, "It's my call and we're done here."  All of a sudden my partner says, loud enough for everyone to hear, "He was off the bag! He was off the bag" I look at him incredulously and say, "Are you kidding me? That play happened on the back side of the bag. Why do you even care? I'm taking the heat on this, so you should be glad that I make my own calls. Please don't hang me out to dry like that again." Then, he says again, "He was off the bag!" Now, I'm pissed, and I have a few choice words. I know, I should have shut up but I lost it a little. I said, "I'm never F*&**! umpiring with you again. I can't trust you." The coach hears us and yells from the dugout, "Of course he's pissed, you ruined the game for us. Well, I eject the coach for getting personal and saying "You ruined the game." 

How could I have avoided this; should I have just stayed in short right and just ignore the manager? I guess I shouldn't have answered the first base coach and waited for the mgr. to come directly to me. I just don't know. I know I'm really pissed at this guy. Everybody close to the play, including 3 umpires said I got the call right.  Should I have asked for help on a play that I knew I had right?

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

That's a lot of explaining. How about: "Coach, I saw him off the bag too. Then he touched it before the runner. Now let's play ball."

Your partner's a douche.png

• Like 5

One way might be to indicate " Yes! He held the Bag!", as you are banging out the runner. It tells everyone what you saw before the have the opportunity to ask if F3 held the bag.

Sometimes as I verbalize that F3 held I also point downward with my left index finger to give a verbal and a visual, Check this video for what I mean: http://m.mlb.com/video/v34836373/bostb-loney-falls-stays-on-the-bag-to-turn-two/?query=holds%2Bthe%2Bbag

Edited by Kevin_K
  • Like 1

Whether or not you got the call right is absolutely irrelevant: you were sure of your call, you made it, and stood by it. The day you have to ask for help just because a coach disagrees is the day they don't need you there anymore. You'll be Umpiring By Committee, and every ball/strike/fair/foul/safe/out will now require a meeting and vote.

The issue is not with you: I couldn't have done it any better, except that my conversation with my partner would not have been loud enough to be heard by anyone else. That's what seemed to cause the ejection. The last time it happened to me resulted in a crooked "come here" finger by me in the working zone, and a very quiet but emphatic "don't you EVER do that to me again". At the end of the game, I found my UIC in the parking lot and told him,"there are three absolutes in life: the sun will come up tomorrow, I will never grow hair on my head again, and I've worked my last game with that son-of-a-bit**". And I did, and that was three years ago.

One way might be to indicate " Yes! He held the Bag!", as you are banging out the runner. It tells everyone what you saw before the have the opportunity to ask if F3 held the bag.

Sometimes as I verbalize that F3 held I also point downward with my left index finger to give a verbal and a visual, Check this video for what I mean: http://m.mlb.com/video/v34836373/bostb-loney-falls-stays-on-the-bag-to-turn-two/?query=holds%2Bthe%2Bbag

I actually used that mechanic. I pointed with left hand and said, "He got the bag! Runners Out!" Thanks for the advice though.

That's a lot of explaining. How about: "Coach, I saw him off the bag too. Then he touched it before the runner. Now let's play ball."

Your partner's a douche.png

That's actually really good advice. Thank you.

Another suggestion is to never discuss anything with your partner within earshot of the coach.  Not like that mattered much if your partner did what he did, but it might help in the future.  The coach played one of you off the other.

• Like 1

I would of just stayed in right field.. if he wants to ask me something he can walk out and ask me... they can chit chat all they want at home plate.. ill stay in my position. 

Side note, I call with a guy thats near his 70s, he had a partner that threw him under the bus out loud for all to hear. He walked over to him, told him to go find and explain to the assigner what he just did. The guy left the field and didnt come back. He also no longer calls for us. 

• Like 4

My partner does that to me I am gone. Period.

• Like 1

I don't have much heartburn about briefly talking to 1BC about a play at 1B. Briefly.

If I knew that HC and my partner were discussing my play, I would have stayed in RF and made HC come to me. But I wouldn't have had any idea that my partner was so clueless about how to handle a HC fishing expedition (send HC to me). I wouldn't have assumed my partner was an idiot and probably got suckered into going to see what the rumps was about too. But once I found out what they called me there for, I think I would have taken the discussion in a different direction.

"Coach, did you go and talk to my partner about my call ? You've got to know better than to be doing that. If you want to talk about my call, you come talk to me."  And when HC again tried to bring my partner back into the convo, I wouldn't allow it. And if it looked like my dumbass partner was going to join in the convo, I would have cut him off too.  

I say all this in hindsight... I would have probably been scrambling as you were in your ambush. I'd like to know what your UIC/assigner had to say. Tell us how your partner has been relegated to working T-ball solo.

• Like 3

My partner does that to me I am gone. Period.

How many times you have done it and how many times you have been left alone in the field by your partners? Period

How many times you have done it and how many times you have been left alone in the field by your partners? Period

i got an e-mail from our assigner saying that we need to learn to work with the partners that are assigned because there have been multiple guys arguing with each other on the field and some umpires straight walking off the field before the game is even close to over. 

ive never had it happen with me and i know this question was to Jax. Just wanted to input.

Don't walk off the field. Just start reacting when there are complaints about his strike zone. Saying something like "That looked outside, Joe," or, even better, saying that a batter did not swing when the plate guy says he did. 

Of course, I'm evil. 

• Like 3

Don't walk off the field. Just start reacting when there are complaints about his strike zone. Saying something like "That looked outside, Joe," or, even better, saying that a batter did not swing when the plate guy says he did. 

Of course, I'm evil. 

I like the way you think.................but...............that wouldn't help solve much.

• Like 1

Of course, I'm evil. 

we all have that thought and even if our partner throws us under the bus, we need to continue to strive to be better than perfect and not lower are standards. Inform are assigner after the game and move on. 

• Like 1

You can do what my friend "B" did. Beat the living SH*# out of your douchebag partner in the umpire locker room or parking lot after the game.  I'd be inclined to choose that solution in the situation you described if he wasn't very contrite when apologizing to me after I ask him to explain himself. Then I'd finish up by saying "don't ever F*#Kin do it again" in my best Lou Brown voice.  

Pretty sure that would cure this guy from doing that again.

What a total buddy F*#Ker he was. 

• Like 1

You can do what my friend "B" did. Beat the living SH*# out of your douchebag partner in the umpire locker room or parking lot after the game.  I'd be inclined to choose that solution in the situation you described if he wasn't very contrite when apologizing to me after I ask him to explain himself. Then I'd finish up by saying "don't ever F*#Kin do it again" in my best Lou Brown voice.  

Pretty sure that would cure this guy from doing that again.

What a total buddy F*#Ker he was. 

I agree that the partner was out of line.  He breached the fundamental umpire etiquette.  But I disagree emphatically that assault is a proper answer.  The partner's bad behavior is his responsibility.  A violent response would be the OP's responsiblity and frankly a much larger problem than the original dispute. 

• Like 1

I also agree. Calling him a douchebag to his face and ensuring the assigner knew what he did would probably be enough.  This would most likely get the guy a steady schedule of T-ball, machine pitch and other one-man offerings around here unless he was a total rookie which would merit some serious one-on-one time with the assigner or a senior umpire-trainer to "train the lad" in proper partner etiquette and protocol. 

I would make sure all other local association members know what he did so they could add "don't be a Buddy F*#Ker" to their pre-game with this douchebag if he still was assigned games with partners. 

How long has this guy been around? If he is a rookie, he still has a chance to redeem himself, but if he is a veteran umpire, then he should never umpire for your association again.

@ump570 : Have you followed the advice of others in this thread and reported this POS (and I'm not referring to the umpire equipment vendor) to your assignor?  If so, what result?

You should include in your pregame, especially if working with a new partner, the procedures that the two of you will use regarding getting help. As mentioned by others, you really want to sell that call. Remember the acronym ICE. Is it Important? Is it Close? Is it Exciting? Those are the ones you want to sell hard. In your case, you can use a secondary signal of pointing at the bag and saying, "He on it. He's on it. He's out (with a good hammer)!

• Like 2

I let my partner know since he likes to make all the calls for me he can do it the rest of the game. I'm gone!

I let my partner know since he likes to make all the calls for me he can do it the rest of the game. I'm gone!

That's hard to justify. Do you tell the coaches that although they paid your fee, you don't like your partner so you are leaving?

Mike

I had a similar thing last year, with a play at the plate coach didn't like it but it wasn't my game partner that was the problem @kevin_k hahaha.....it was the next game umpires that was told the play by the coaches stand point.....it got back to me that the umpire that wasn't there was agreeing with the coach (we are brothers we suppose to stick for each other). Well his partner called me that night to let me know what happened since we speak daily on plays and what not so he heard the play from me... Well next day who was on my schedule to work with the guy that was agreeing with the coach at the plate meeting.....we had a polite conversation in the parking lot before our game and I brought up us being part of a brotherhood and we have to watch our backs because no coach is our friend ever!! He was puzzled because the next question was I asked if he heard about this crazy play from the Friday before he said yeah and the coach told me yesterday and I would have to agree with him.....blood pressure went one tick but held my composure when I said well can I tell you other side of the story being the calling umpire from 5 feet away? He got that oh sh*t look and I said yeah that was me, we are in a brotherhood don't do that to me again. I got your back and I want to know you got my back even if we aren't on the games together that day. He like well if I knew it was you I wouldn't have agreed I said that's unacceptable for anybody we work with we are all brothers!!! Ok let's go over today's pre game..... Since your uic today let me hear it. He apologized before working on the field, I said don't apologize I'm here to do a professional job and be professional don't worry I'm not going to send you to the wolves! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk