This is absolutely DISGUSTING

conbo61
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3079 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

The whole school football program should be disbanded. An example should be made out of this.

Players and coaches prosecuted.

The ref needs to sue the player, their families, coaches, school, school district.

• Like 1

This was on the national news at the top of the hour update this afternoon when I got lunch:

The program, as of now, will continue. The players have been suspended from school and are potentially facing expulsion pending results of an investigation. The asst coach is being investigated further and has been suspended.

They also read a statement from NASO and they did call it an attack.

• 2 weeks later...

So this morning it comes out that the Asst. Coach did in fact order his players to assault the ref. His excuse is the alleged use of the N word and a racial slur towards hispanic players on the field. Odd that none of the other players on the field have yet stepped forward to corroborate this coach's version of events.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/high-schools/headlines/20150923-report-assistant-coach-admitted-he-told-players-to-blindslide-ref-who-made-racial-slurs.ece

So this morning it comes out that the Asst. Coach did in fact order his players to assault the ref. His excuse is the alleged use of the N word and a racial slur towards hispanic players on the field. Odd that none of the other players on the field have yet stepped forward to corroborate this coach's version of events.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/high-schools/headlines/20150923-report-assistant-coach-admitted-he-told-players-to-blindslide-ref-who-made-racial-slurs.ece

There are a lot of balls in motion -- TASO, NASO, UIL, the ISD, and the legal system are all taking action.  The article shows a good start and immediate reaction.  

Too bad by 'alternative' school you don't mean jail.

The criminal justice system and the UIL (state gov'g body) have yet to weigh in... on-going investigation.

With claims that the official made racial slurs, I'll bet he isn't getting any game assignments. Hope he's exonerated and sues the pants off of his accusers.  

The criminal justice system and the UIL (state gov'g body) have yet to weigh in... on-going investigation.

With claims that the official made racial slurs, I'll bet he isn't getting any game assignments. Hope he's exonerated and sues the pants off of his accusers.      

Although I completely agree with allowing the CJ system to run the proper course of investigation and not rushing to judgement I would think that based on the video evidence there would be quite enough prima facia evidence to support an arrest at the minimum.

Making the jump that the official did make comments as alleged (which I am not inclined to believe as no other players have made these statements) would be something for the defense to bring to court as a mitigation for their clients I would think...

Either way I think charging these dumplings would set some tone that acts such as this are not going to be taken lightly.

Edited by Mudisfun

Although I completely agree with allowing the CJ system to run the proper course of investigation and not rushing to judgement I would think that based on the video evidence there would be quite enough prima facia evidence to support an arrest at the minimum.

Making the jump that the official did make comments as alleged (which I am not inclined to believe as no other players have made these statements) would be something for the defense to bring to court as a mitigation for their clients I would think...

Either way I think charging these dumplings would set some tone that acts such as this are not going to be taken lightly.

I doubt these two would have thought to do this (let alone act) without the AC putting it into their heads. The AC admits to telling them to attack the official. Though that is no defense for the kids, it should be factored into their consequences.  

I tend to think disobeying a football coach in Texas is a serious sin - especially if you're 15.

And I'd bet that the official did say something.

It's interesting that the initial report said that the coach told the players the official "needs to pay" because of calls that he made against their team.  No mention of racial comments.  Then the players reported racial comments, and NOW the coach claims that he told them to go after the official because of racial slurs AND for bad calls.  Isn't that convenient?

• Like 1

With claims that the official made racial slurs, I'll bet he isn't getting any game assignments..  

He's still recovering from his injuries, anyway.  But NASO doesn't believe the racial slur accusation.  This guy is a well-known and respected official -- it's not like he's an unknown quantity.  Still, everyone is being diligent and doing their investigations, as well they should.  I'm sure it'll all come out in the end.

It's interesting that the initial report said that the coach told the players the official "needs to pay" because of calls that he made against their team.  No mention of racial comments.  Then the players reported racial comments, and NOW the coach claims that he told them to go after the official because of racial slurs AND for bad calls.  Isn't that convenient?

Might depend on the source. I recall seeing the slur part from the beginning.

Might depend on the source. I recall seeing the slur part from the beginning.

From the players, yes.  The part about the coach's reason for ordering the "hit" originally only referenced the calls.

The plot thickens

In his second statement, secondary coach Breed wrote that he took the blame in the incident to protect the two players from being expelled from school, one of the sources said. But Breed denied that he told the players to go after Watts.

"Me and my head coach (Gutierrez) were sitting across from each other on the bus, so we started talking about the events that took place. Throughout the conversation, I started to realize how serious it could be for the boys at that point, so I took the blame for them.

"I did that hoping the kids would still be able to play and not get expelled from school," Breed wrote. "The following day, we were watching film as a staff and I was called into the principal's office to write a statement about what I told the head coach on the bus. Again, I did this thinking the kids would be let off the hook and that everything would be fine.

"Now that I have seen the video and see how they hit the referee, I can no longer take the blame for the incident," Breed wrote. "I never told these players to hurt or injure anyone in that football game. I only made my earlier statement to try and save the boys from being kicked off the team. I wanted more time to teach them discipline and character they need.

more on the UIL hearing 

The TASO officials said they concluded that no racial slur was made based on interviews with players, coaches and officials.

So the coach lied because " I wanted more time to teach them discipline and character they need" which seems contrary to what he just stated he wanted to teach them...

I guess he subscribes to the theory that 2 wrongs make a right and three rights make a left?

To me it is obvious that this schools program has zero honor anywhere in it's ranks.

• 3 weeks later...

So an assistant football coach is being suspended for the rest of the school year (from which he's already resigned), and he and the head coach are "on probation" for a couple more years? The students who did this can come back to the school after football season is over.

Yeah, sounds a little light.

I'm really hoping assault charges are brought. This is ridiculous. Not because I'm an official, but because if it happened anywhere else, there would be no question that assault charges would be filed.

There are certain inherent risks in playing, coaching, and officiating sports. Getting targeted shouldn't be one of those risks.