Anyone live in Boston?

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3180 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Fenway Park, Freedom Trail, Boston Common, Duck Boat Tour, Museum of Science, New England Aquarium, Museum of Fine Arts, Cambridge/Harvard/MIT, Boston Harbor Islands, Whale Watch (if you have a full day available), John Hancock building, North End (for Italian food).  And that's just off the top of my head in 30 seconds or so.

When are you coming?  Feel free to message me with any specific questions.

• Like 1

As @Maven said.  Other than Fenway, Faneuil hall is cool.  Historic.  Cambridge-Harvard, MIT we saw on a bus tour.  I took my kids there for four days in September 2010.  Had a ball.   Attended Toronto at Boston game at Fenway.  Sat in second row in rightish centerfield overlooking bullpens.  No homeruns to us though.  Took tour of Fenway a day or two later.  Awesome!   Got to sit on Green monster, go into pressbox.  Sit in old original style seating on 3B line.  Very narrow.  Toured city on a tour bus.  Really cool.  Stayed in Boston Hilton, Back Bay.  Easy walk along Boylston to Fenway.  Shopped in 'The Backbay and Fens area".  Ate a "lobstah" roll in Summer Shack seafood restaurant on Dalton Street.  Ate a lot of seafood.  Ate pizza in Regina pizzeria Italian area in North Boston-excellent, recommended to me by a friend who is a Boston area native.  Very narrow streets in North Boston.  Rode the train from Airport to our hotel area.  Did a lot of street walking between hotel and Fenway and the neighborhood.  Hung out on Yawkey way before and after "Saaaawx" game.  Bought a lot of RedSox Souvenir SH*#.  Drank at bar in Fenway under centerfield bleachers.  Drank at Cask and Flagon behind Green monster on street behind stadium.  All around great time for a few days.  It was cool at night there in mid-september.  Great place to visit.  Couldn't winter there I'm afraid.

DSCN0068.JPG

• Like 4

Check to see if the Sox are in town first of all but......

There is a lot of revolutionary war history in that town. If you go down near the aguarium, there is all kinds of tourist stuff down there. You can get about anywhere using the train.

Take a duck tour, those are cool too. If you have time for a day trip - head down to the cape.

Edited by maineump
  • Like 1

The old North Church (of the midnight ride of Paul Revere fame) is in the north end (Italian section...(or it used to be) of Boston ) ... lots of Italian restaurants in that neighborhood.

Fanueil Hall is a cool place to end up (Fanueil Hall Marketplace has lots of eat/drink choices), but if you're up for a walking tour, I'd recommend starting near the Boston Commons and walk the Freedom trail to get there.

Yes, Cape Cod is amazing.  Beware though, Provincetown is a "rainbow flag capital".  Not that there's anything wrong with that. I just play for a different team and I just wasn't mentally prepared for it. 

• Like 1

As @Maven said.  Other than Fenway, Faneuil hall is cool.  Historic.  Cambridge-Harvard, MIT we saw on a bus tour.  I took my kids there for four days in September 2010.  Had a ball.   Attended Toronto at Boston game at Fenway.  Sat in second row in rightish centerfield overlooking bullpens.  No homeruns to us though.  Took tour of Fenway a day or two later.  Awesome!   Got to sit on Green monster, go into pressbox.  Sit in old original style seating on 3B line.  Very narrow.  Toured city on a tour bus.  Really cool.  Stayed in Boston Hilton, Back Bay.  Easy walk along Boylston to Fenway.  Shopped in 'The Backbay and Fens area".  Ate a "lobstah" roll in Summer Shack seafood restaurant on Dalton Street.  Ate a lot of seafood.  Ate pizza in Regina pizzeria Italian area in North Boston-excellent, recommended to me by a friend who is a Boston area native.  Very narrow streets in North Boston.  Rode the train from Airport to our hotel area.  Did a lot of street walking between hotel and Fenway and the neighborhood.  Hung out on Yawkey way before and after "Saaaawx" game.  Bought a lot of RedSox Souvenir SH*#.  Drank at bar in Fenway under centerfield bleachers.  Drank at Cask and Flagon behind Green monster on street behind stadium.  All around great time for a few days.  It was cool at night there in mid-september.  Great place to visit.  Couldn't winter there I'm afraid.

DSCN0068.JPG

The right field boxes are my favorite - priced ok, and good view. I sat there yesterday.

Just a hint, if you are buying stuff on Yawkee Way - Bring credit cards or a lot of money. Stuff is expensive, but if you buy it at Fenway, it is priceless :) .  The tour of the oldest stadium in the league is great. I have a retired sox player that I still play ball with - he hooks me up with great things whenever I go down, so I don't know how much it is, but the stadium is very cool.

Oh, speaking of Red Sox history - in yesterday's Sox/Yankees game, Babe Ruth's daughter threw out the first pitch (she is 99 years old). It was incredible to see the entire stadium on their feet for this lady.

The picture is one I took while hanging with our host in front of the dugout.

spaceman.jpg

• Like 3

Wow - thanks! I knew I'd get some good stuff here. 

@maineump, your info for Maine and the Bar Harbor area was so helpful!!

We are going to a Sox game Fri night (which is hard for this Braves fan), but hey - it's Fenway - and our oldest is extremely jealous. We've got seats in the right field box area, row G. I will not be buying any RS stuff  :)

Other than that, we've got nothing so far, so looks like I've got some researching to do. 

Thanks!!

Thanks Jeremy - I'll send them messages as well. 

• Like 1

I'm headed to Boston for a long weekend at the end of the month.  Just wondering if someone from that area has suggestions on what to do, where to eat, etc.  

Thanks!

I umpired in the Cape League for 3 summers and highly recommend you spend a day on the Cape and watch a ball game.  It's great ball, big crowds and a great atmosphere. http://capecodbaseball.org/

• Like 3

I umpired in the Cape League for 3 summers and highly recommend you spend a day on the Cape and watch a ball game.  It's great ball, big crowds and a great atmosphere. http://capecodbaseball.org/

This (if you can get there).  Cape League games are fantastic.  And you will almost certainly see several future major leaguers.

• Like 2

The right field boxes are my favorite - priced ok, and good view. I sat there yesterday.

Just a hint, if you are buying stuff on Yawkee Way - Bring credit cards or a lot of money. Stuff is expensive, but if you buy it at Fenway, it is priceless :) .  The tour of the oldest stadium in the league is great. I have a retired sox player that I still play ball with - he hooks me up with great things whenever I go down, so I don't know how much it is, but the stadium is very cool.

Oh, speaking of Red Sox history - in yesterday's Sox/Yankees game, Babe Ruth's daughter threw out the first pitch (she is 99 years old). It was incredible to see the entire stadium on their feet for this lady.

The picture is one I took while hanging with our host in front of the dugout.

spaceman.jpg

Looks like Spaceman Lee!

Looks like Spaceman Lee!

It is - he was in the legend's box that day. Bill and I have been friends for quite a while. He still plays and pitches 50-60 innings a week (effectively),and he is fun to catch for - amazing the way he looks at and works batters. One of the games true characters.

• Like 1

I'm a native Cape Codder. If you're a baseball "guy" you should catch at least one game. The national Seashore is awesome and they have done a great job in and around Plymouth Plantation. If you have time the Vineyard is a special place. Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I love knowing what visitors would recommend in my home city, it really is interesting!

Feel free to message me if you have any other questions or need more info.  As others have pointed out it is a walking city, that's really the best way to find things, just walk around.  The North End and South End (which is not South Boston) are both full of great little restaurants.  A ton of history all over the city, you can walk freedom trail and see almost everything important from revolutionary era.  Also tons of cool little restaurants and quirky things to check out in Cambridge in Harvard Square.

• Like 1