They took it all

bighouse
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3192 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Working a state tournament and there is an umpires locker room at the complex. This is also where i work most of my summer league games. Typically the umpires that worker out there a lot just leave their gear and uniforms in the locker room which is padlocked. Well last night someone broke in and took all the gear that was in the locker room. They were kind enough to leave all of our uniforms. I estimated my loss alone around $2000. In addition they also broke into the concession stand and stole all the food and the trophies for the tournament as well. Sad this is the world we live in. 

Luckly the owner of the complex also owns the only play it again sports in town so if they take it there that should be easy. Not sure about insurance, I think it will get lumped in with the complex clam, but and going to check with my insurance on Monday. The police took a very detailed list of missing items. Most of the food they took was candy, chips, soda and that kind kd stuff. Created much more cost in damage than what was taken from the concession. My gear should be easy to identify if it comes up, not too many west vest golds retrofitted with team wendy pass running around Kansas! 

Going to suck working the state championship behind the plate in someone else's gear, just doesn't feel right.

I had some cheap renters insurance about 17 years ago when all my stuff got stolen from my car.  They paid me nearly $900 (minus a $250 deductible) for an itemized listing of all my gear and uniforms.  I was able to get save enough with a uniform package deal and an equipment package deal to cover the deductible.  I'm not sure if your insurance will cover a complex covered by a commercial policy, but it should.  You'll be back in good gear in no time...and TW is turning around WV's in about 2 weeks right now!

Let this be a cautionary tale to all readers. If I left my gear in someone else's location, I would expect it to be stolen sooner or later.

My gear is in my covered pick-up bed spread out.
1. It lets the gear air out;
2. If thieves are going to steal all my gear, they'll have to pack it up first.

• Like 1

I have had people break into the car and take gear, and have had my garage broken into. One thing I know for sure, nothing is safe. And I had both chest protectors hanging up in the locker to dry and both sets of shin guards drying on the couch in there, so they really didn't mind bagging it all up in my bag to take it. 

Get rid of the cat pee smell by soaking in a water/baking soda solution or a water/borax solution overnight.  Rinse well and give the ole "sniff test"....Might have to repeat.  Cat pee is the worst...

Glad  you got your gear back.

I had all my hockey gear stolen from my car in a mall parking lot in broad daylight, and I played goal. I called my insurance company they sent an adjuster out and I was able to buy all new stuff. It didn't hurt that the adjuster was a guy I played pickup hockey with and he could verify all the equipment I had. It was a bitch breaking all that new stuff in though.

Tony

@bighouse – Does all your recovered gear include your Schutt XV? I'm ecstatic to hear that you got your gear back! Perhaps look into something like this: Tile, Finding the Lost Items App – for the future?

Now, regarding your XV, I've got great news for you... I'll be doing a modification to my XV that you'll really dig. Stay tuned!

• Like 1

@‌MadMax ,thanks for the suggestion of the Tile, I will definitely be putting one of those in my bag. And yes I did get back my XV....excited to hear if your able to get the delta flex on there, that would make it one hell of a CP.