Unorthodox Would You Wear?

TheGeneral
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3063 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

When getting scheduled for games with my old league organizer, he asked my shirt size.  "Finally!" I thought, they are getting their umpires shirts to at least pretend to look uniform.  When I got to the field, I was handed two of these.

My question to you is, would you don this shirt to match your partner for the evening, or would you refuse the league shirt and wear one of your own polos?  What if you are working solo?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Edited by TheGeneral

I have a nearly identical shirt (back looks the same, front is blank) that I wear several times per week.

I think every team in our league is pretty similar. *Most* of these wreck-league umpires don't have their own equipment and wear the CP outside the shirt. I wear mine inside, and it's not horribly uncomfortable. I have a virtual rainbow I bring to the other league I work with (they say "navy unless you both have something else that matches").

*shrug* - if that's their standard, go with it. I promise there won't be any MLB umpire-scouts in the audience downgrading you for your appearance.

Wow...I'm speechless.  It would look odd with a chest protector under that.

It actually works with a protector under it well!  You just have to make sure you get the right size.  I wear a M shirt, so I wore a L when behind the plate.

I have a nearly identical shirt (back looks the same, front is blank) that I wear several times per week.

I think every team in our league is pretty similar. *Most* of these wreck-league umpires don't have their own equipment and wear the CP outside the shirt. I wear mine inside, and it's not horribly uncomfortable. I have a virtual rainbow I bring to the other league I work with (they say "navy unless you both have something else that matches").

*shrug* - if that's their standard, go with it. I promise there won't be any MLB umpire-scouts in the audience downgrading you for your appearance.

I wasn't afraid he fashion police would be there to critique, I was just curious to see what some of the people here would do if presented with this.

Me?  I wore it, and enjoyed it.  I have worked for this league for a while and pushed for them to get their umpires some sort of shirt to wear.  Previously, I would be wearing a standard uniform with a partner wearing gym shorts and a cut-off.  It not only made us look like a mess of a partnership, but it made the crowd and coaches not take them as serious.  Now with these shirts, the difference the officials have been treated is measurable; it's amazing what a simple matching t-shirt will do to credibility on the field.  This was a big step for the WCHGSA and even though it's a t-shirt, and even though half the folks wear khaki shorts, it's a step towards uniformity and helping build credibility.

Why not

You know some of the folks here, I wanted to see some people's reactions and opinions about it before I gave the backstory.​

Only Associations may dictate what you wear on the field.

There is official rule that says you have to wear charcoal pants and a polo blue shirt.

I wore something like that in 1982.......fresh out of college......umpiring in a summer-ball league.....Grey t-shirt that said "umpire"....Navy 2 button polyester coach shorts, adjustable mesh Elmer Fudd cap.......(all league supplied).

I am wholly entitled to state what is Smitty and what is not.....because I was one......

No, thank you.......I'll pass.

• Like 1

If you are a volunteer or a newbie or waaaaaay out in the styx (I used to coach in a place like that) then this would be okay.  Kind of a small country hometown, it's for the kids, simple folk, type place and everyone wears it versus random shirts and shorts and flip-flops with no uniformity then this shirt is a great solution to the alternatives.

If you are being paid and the play is competitive where the kids travel to play elsewhere in tournaments, etc. then that shirt is not sufficient.

(Again, I coached my son's T-ball and minor league teams when he was small through age 15 in a place like that.  I brought my "big-city" intentions and ways to the place. Coached my teams and players as professionally as possible.  Bought MLB replica uniforms instead of the cheap t-shirt and trucker hat uniforms the league provided for my teams.  Practiced 5-6 days a week.  Built a Little League sized practice field with backstop, clay mound with pitcher's plate, bullpen, buried bases, etc. in my yard, thunder stick drills, wifle golf balls drills, hit-away device, Ken Griffey Jr. Batting device, towel-bats, intentional curve ball pitching machines, Tom Emanski's Baseball World Hitting and Fielding drills videos, videotape hitting and pitching reviews, coaches training, K-tee/Ultimate Tee batting tees- used  these in T-ball leagues instead of traditional black pipe in center of plate tees,  wooden bat BP, turned an old barn they used when it was a county fairgrounds into an indoor winter hitting facility with two batting tunnels, lighting, mirrors, lots of hitting stations, an indoor dirt mound in a box, astroturf flooring, etc.  We started kicking everyone else's ass by twenty runs a game.  Took over all-stars and went to tourneys and won some games instead of the play two and go home we were used to.  Took my players and other interested athletes to University of Tennessee Baseball Camps and stayed to work stations with Rod Delmonico, Larry Simcox, UT players and other high school and college coaches in the Knoxville area.) We, me and my assistants, changed the whole outlook about baseball in that little town.  I've obviously since moved on but occasionally I visit and some of the players I coached are now coaching, some are umpiring, some of the rival coaches are still coaching.  They host some pretty kick-ass tournaments in their new baseball/softball complex and aren't an embarrassment to baseball anymore.  I am proud of them.  They kicked and screamed for a couple of years resisting change.  Hell, the first year there weren't any homerun fences on the fields.  Now, it's great.  The old complex is still heavily used for practice fields, something they didn't have before.)

Enjoyed that way back moment drafting the above.  Love baseball.  Loved coaching.  Love umpiring even more.

• Like 4

I spent my childrens' inheritance and my now ex-wife's nest egg.  Had a blast doing it and have a SH*#-ton of great memories.  Would do it all over again given the chance.  Might even win a few more games along the way.  My thirties were some bery good years my friend. Bery, bery good to me!

• 4 months later...

Well, at the risk of facing the wrath of everyone here, when I started in middle school we had our rec league organization umpire t-shirts. Keep in mind, this was the early 90s. And sometimes we wore shorts with our shinguards too.

Hey, I was a teenager at the time. My hometown looks much more professional nowadays.