Stole 2B on consecutive pitches.

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3045 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

So I saw something in tonight's senior legion game that I have never seen in person before.

Bottom five R1. One out. Batter has no count. Pitch comes in and is foul tipped, R1 moving on the pitch. Batter stumbles in the box, but does not interfere with F2's throw to 2B, I point to batter and indicate "That's nothing!" after signifying a foul tip had occurred. R1 is safe at 2B, as ruled by @mhoffman.

Someone started yelling foul ball. I think it was F6, but couldn't say for sure. F1 receives the ball back from F6, and R1 proceeds to walk back to 1B. When R1 reaches 1B, the following ensues:

VTHC:" Hey Kevin, wasn't that a foul tip?"

Me: "Yes it was."

VTHC:"Isn't a foul tip a live ball?"

Me: "Yes it is"

VTHC: "Then why did you yell Foul Ball?"

Me: "I didn't" 

VTHC: "Why is he headed back to first?"

Me: "I don't know"

VTHC:"Damn, we should've tagged him."

Next pitch R1, steals 2B again.

• Like 3

Note that if F1 engages the rubber before the hijinx, we should kill it and keep him at 2B.

Rule 5.06(a)/5.06(c) Comment (Rule 7.01 Comment): If a runner legally acquires title to a base, and the pitcher assumes his pitching position, the runner may not return to a previously occupied base. (OBR)

• 5 months later...

Sorry I'm late on this one....get so busy with everything I forget to login and check to see if i'm tagged in anything.  Lets just say the runner was just a bit confused if I say myself not to mention the defense was probably just as lost.  I became confused when the runner got back to first and said didn't you say it was foul.  I said "safe" and watched you get up and walk back to first so no not me haha.

@kevin_k would agree this was just one of the random stuff that happens to us when we are together on the field lol....(knock out) game , this one and of course good old you are out of position play at the plate game.......