Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
cyclonehokiece

Play at the plate

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

Is it missed? Are you sure the PU didn't rule that R3 intentionally knocked the ball out of the mitt? Did you notice him point at the runner, perhaps to rule INT (should have called time, too, if that was the call)? Did you see him stop looking at the tag and start watching R3?

If he's just pointing to the tag and, after discussion, insisted that F2 held the ball long enough for the tag, I'm not sure I'd agree with that.

Something else is going on there. If anyone knows those guys I'd be interested to know what the actual call was.  AA guys know how to use their eyes.

• Like 1

This guy is an asshat!  I've seen him pull this crap many times.  I'm surprised MiLB hasn't nipped his shenanigans in the bud.  Anyway, I'm sure every MiLB umpire that has had the misfortune of calling one of his series cringes when they get their schedule. 

Is it missed? Are you sure the PU didn't rule that R3 intentionally knocked the ball out of the mitt? Did you notice him point at the runner, perhaps to rule INT (should have called time, too, if that was the call)? Did you see him stop looking at the tag and start watching R3?

Something else is going on there. If anyone knows those guys I'd be interested to know what the actual call was.  AA guys know how to use their eyes.

​I never noticed that maven ....thanks .....ok.......hhmmmmm now we have something. 

Edited by Thunderheads

If he's just pointing to the tag and, after discussion, insisted that F2 held the ball long enough for the tag, I'm not sure I'd agree with that.

​I'd like to see that from a different angle.  I think Maven is on to something...

This jackwagon has done this before, it's well documented, and it makes the news and you tube. Maybe that's why he's still managing AA ball after many years? I can't imagine any team wanting to put up with his stuff for very long. 

• Like 1

​Can anyone read the PU's lips when the crew gets together?  His body language and what I can see is NOT "did I miss the ball coming out?" it's more "did the ball come out *before* I had what I had?"

​From the one angle we see, it looks to me like the catcher might have lost control of the ball before the runner made contact (you can see that he's already looking down--not at the runner--and removing his mask as if he's trying to locate the ball.) Not much before, but enough before that I can see why it would cause problems.

What I'd love to see on this is the camera angle from field-level on the third base side. They've obviously got one there but every time the shot started they were cutting away to high behind the plate.

Tough call.

​Nothing else is going on here; he just F*#Ked the SH*# out of this call. He pointed to indicate the tag. Even if one were to indulge your devil's advocacy, that's an even worse call.

He got too close and didn't watch the ball in the glove. He got tunnel vision.

​Nothing else is going on here; he just F*#Ked the SH*# out of this call. He pointed to indicate the tag. Even if one were to indulge your devil's advocacy, that's an even worse call.

He got too close and didn't watch the ball in the glove. He got tunnel vision.

​Completely agree

I'm going to assume it was a blown call.  I question that assumption based on the umpire pointing to the runner when he made the out mechanic.  I also question it based on that after they got together, they stayed with the out.  But I don't know that for sure and it makes for a better discussion if the umpire was wrong.

Two things I saw from our blue friend.  One, his head never came set -- it was always moving.  If you're eyes don't get set, you're not going to have as clear a view of the play.  Two, he was very quick with the out call.  Ask to see the ball in the glove, then make your determination.  I find myself jumping the gun sometimes, and it's easy to get wrapped up in a close play at the plate.  I have to remind myself to slow down and wait for the play to run its course before making the call.

Already being discussed, Mr. Moderator :P

• Like 1

​Yeah, but the topic of discussion on that one was about the crabby manager.

​disagree.  The topic is the topic.  We'll handle Johnny at the weekly meeting! LOL!! :D :wave: 

I don't know what he had. I'm friends with him but I'm not going to ask him what he had. I'm going to assume MiLB wasn't too upset about it since he was promoted to AAA today.

• Like 1

I don't know what he had. I'm friends with him but I'm not going to ask him what he had. I'm going to assume MiLB wasn't too upset about it since he was promoted to AAA today.

​He's also working the plate for the mlb futures game over the all star break in a few weeks. One of the best guys I've had the pleasure of meeting in my umpiring career