Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3060 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

It's my understanding that you used to be able to work your way through the HS and college ranks to get to D1, but that's not really the case anymore. They are now looking for former MiLB umpires to fill out D1 openings. 

Dont know if this is true everywhere, and there are probably exceptions anyway, but this is what I'm hearing. 

• Like 3

My cousin that went to the Jim Evans Academy, which I believe is no longer present, told me one day a couple of years ago that if you don't get selected for MiLB evaluations, you pretty much have a "good shot of walking into D1"

My cousin that went to the Jim Evans Academy, which I believe is no longer present, told me one day a couple of years ago that if you don't get selected for MiLB evaluations, you pretty much have a "good shot of walking into D1"

False i mean it really depends on your area you live in . But most areas it's getting harder and harder for those of us without MILB experience to break in . 

Edited by guyinaredhat

​You are not just going to walk into a div 1 job because you went to umpire school.

So how would the road to D1 without MiLB experience be?
Going to college camps or even pro camps and possible college umpire supervisors and assigners seeing you? Getting juco games and maybe a word being passed on and having them come watch you?

• Like 1

Going to college camps or even pro camps and possible college umpire supervisors and assigners seeing you? Getting juco games and maybe a word being passed on and having them come watch you?

​Right. Similar to the road to HS varsity, at least in areas that have enough umpires.

• Like 1

.Go to midamump's advanced camp.  Get seen.  Work non-con for one of the assigners.  Have the coach review you favorably  etc.

It really depends on where you live.  If a local association controls non-conf or if its all done via the conf staff by a single coordinator.  Pro experience helps and is the norm for most.  However, as one coordinator put it, "be as good as an ex pro and you'll find a spot."  As for what the road looks like.... HS - HS playoffs - JC - JC playoffs - NAIA/DIII - JC/NAIA/DIII post season - DII non conf - DII conf - CC and Multiple post seasons at collegiate level - non conf DI.  This can be fast tracked if you can work and network, have avalibility, luck and the right person seeing you.  You can do all of these things by going to the right camp.  Find out where the coordinators will be at and you'll get exposure which can be a good or bad thing depending as always on how you do/look/say etc.  Just my $0.02

• Like 3

My guess has to do with "game management."

Too many pro umps come back with a chip on their shoulders and an all out "us vs. them" / "all coaches are rats, all the time" attitude.  It's needed to survive in pro ball; it's not appropriate for college ball.

Too many pro umps come back with a chip on their shoulders and an all out "us vs. them" / "all coaches are rats, all the time" attitude.  It's needed to survive in pro ball; it's not appropriate for college ball.

​That was my thought as well.  So much at stake in MiLB - everyone is trying to make it to the show, so it's a war out there.  I would think some umpires may find it hard to adjust.

​Yes. And I will not say that here so that I do not inadvertently identify him.

​Gotcha.

• 2 weeks later...

​That was my thought as well.  So much at stake in MiLB - everyone is trying to make it to the show, so it's a war out there.  I would think some umpires may find it hard to adjust.

​Gotcha.

​I tend to think the opposite is true. An SEC or Big 12 conference series is much more intense than a AA game in July in front of 1,200 people with nothing really at stake as far as the outcome of the game goes. I think you're right as far as game management goes, but I think game management is probably tougher in the higher levels of D1 than in pro baseball for the most part. 

I'll offer my $0.02... since I am in the middle of this very journey as we speak. YMMV...

Q: Do you need Milb experience to work D1 baseball?

A: No....but it certainly helps. As  Milb umpire you get game speed and game management  in heavy doses. Your job is umpiring and you get anywere between 80-160 games in a season based on your level. For a non Milb umpire it may take a few years to reach equivalent game counts. Yet in still a newly released  Milb umpire doesn't  just walk straight onto a D1 field. Most Milb umpires need some sort of "deprograming" in order to work collage baseball.  The game at the pro level  and the Ncaa level is not the same. The game management, ejection triggers, warnings use of language etc are all different. So most Milb umpires will work a few seasons of lower level college  ball before breaking into major college conferences. However that journey  can be a relatively short path.

For the non Milb umpire the path is different  but the end goal is obtainable. It is certainly  a process. And keep in mind you will be competing against Milb umpires that have lived ate and slept baseball for years.

Pro school helps, but it is in no way a golden ticket. Good core training regardless of where you get it is a must. Once you are ready to break into college ball the first thing you need to do is Inventory your look…
Dress like the level in which you are trying to achieve. If you don’t have poly wools go out and get some. Make sure you get them tailored properly. Make sure your uniform is “TV-Ready”. Keep your shoes shined, pants (and caps) creased, and shirts wrinkle free. Chances are there will be no more parking lot dressing, so make sure you have a gear bag with wheels that you can easily go from car to locker room.

Be prepared to travel a lot your first few years….
Expect to work a lot of Juco, NAIA, and DIII level games your first few years. Work every game with the utmost professionalism. Treat every game like it’s the 7th game of the world series. Coaches in these leagues can either jump start or break your career. Unlike high school, these coaches have been hired for the sole purpose of running the baseball program. They are not teachers and they don’t care about lesson plans. They care about wins and losses, plain and simple. If you have a good game, they are not afraid to let you know about your work. If you have a bad game they are not afraid to let you and your assigner know about it as well. So work hard, look good, hustle and above all else know the rules!

Find out who the top assigners are in your region…
All of the top D1 conferences in your area will have a conference assigner. Most of these guys will also assign smaller NAIA, DII, DII conferences. Some of these assigners will use these conferences as feeders for the D1 conferences. Get to know these guys. The top Coordinators will usually promote try-out camps and clinics through your local assigner.

Advancement happens in the summer, fall and winter.…
The best way to move and get seen is during the summer and the fall. Find out if there is a college summer league in your area. It will be easier to work with some of the D1 guys during the summer. The D1 guys will have great feedback for what it takes to work at the D1 level. Also if you do well, it can help you get on the radar for getting assigned to some higher level games assigned by your association. Also the summer is usually a more relaxed environment.

Plan to attend a College camp or clinic in the fall…..
Usually these camps are attended by assigners responsible for D1 Non-conference assignments, as well as conference umpire appointment. Most of these camps/clinics will have cage work, rules application, and live games. Same rules apply just as they do in the regular season…. work hard, look good and hustle when it’s your turn to shine.

Attend your Local NCAA superclinic….
This will ensure that you are up on all mechanic changes and rule changes for the upcoming season. This is also a great opportunity to network with all of the Top college umpires, assigners, and evaluators in your region. Don’t be afraid to talk to and introduce yourself to them. This clinic is also required for post season assignment for all of the NCAA divisions.

Once you complete this in year 1. Wash, rinse, and repeat." As you do a good job coaches notice. ..they will tell your assigner. You may get asked to work higher level games with some of the better umpires in your group. Remember  every game is an audition... if your progress  continues you will be work D1 in no time.

• Like 4

​A lot of them come back disgruntled, too.  That makes it a bit more challenging, as well.

• Like 1

I work a Summer Collegiate League down in Central Florida. Many D1 players from around the USA come down and play to get reps. As well as other Divisions.
he level of play is very high. As far as Umpires they are all High level College Umpires. (I don't know how I got in. :D)
But I can definitely tell the difference in professionalism and demeanor of the Umpires. I have learned a lot this summer working that league.

• Like 2

I'm not a D-I umpire. But here are my observations. 

1. Make sure your ready for not only D-I but for college baseball as a whole. Have several years of progressively challenging non-shaving aged games (Varsity, Legion, College Summer Leagues). Build up your experience and skill as the players are building theirs. The one thing I tell people who ask me about the conference I work for is that the playing ability isn't too much different than a decent HS Varsity game. The difference is that straight down the lineup these guys are faster. What may be routine in HS is now a banger because these guys are just that much faster.
  2. Go to camps and clinics. And I'm not necessarily speaking only of college "try out" camps. Continuing to increase your knowledge, skills and ability. And don't think just because you went to a camp 1 time that's enough. Continually look for camps to challenge your ability and expand your knowledge. 
  3. Build a umpiring resume. Just like a regular job resume. 
  4. Get into the system, but don't have any delusions of grandeur; you will not walk immediately onto a major conference D-I field. But get into the system, work JuCo, D-III, NAIA, Collegiate club baseball, etc... Continuing to build that experience. You will start to get known by the assigners. 
  5. Remember; At the college level remember you are expected to have a certain base level of skills. Good mechanics, good zone, rules knowledge are the expectation much more than HS. The coaches are paid to win and the stakes are higher. So don't expect kudos for just doing a "good" job. Also, coaches have say in who works their conference tournament many times. 
  6. Stand out in your group for the right reasons; professionalism, game management, dependability. Don't be the squeaky wheel. If there are things you don't like, unless you are willing to stake your umpiring career on the line, you are probably better off finding a new group.
  7. Patience. No body owes you anything. You may indeed be the best umpire there is, but until you earn that reputation on the field it means nothing.
  8. Don't turn your nose up at "lesser" games. So many times I've seen and heard of people who get offered a "lesser" level game from another group or organization because they get in a bind. And it turns out that group also assigns or sub-assigns for bigger and better divisions or conferences and guys then get in with that group and advance. Remember there are over 30 NCAA D-I baseball conferences and most are not major conferences.
  9. Observe the guys who are considered the top dogs in your group. What are they doing well. When you can work with them pick their brains, as for frank feedback on your performance.
  10. Find a way to be available for the weekday non-conference day games. This is often where assigners will put guys in to test them out. I personally struggle with this. My FT job really limits my ability for 1:00 weekday starts, so I have to accept things are going to move a little slower for me.
  11. As you develop and progress, help others who are developing. Too many guys at the higher levels are sometimes afraid to help develop others, b/c they are afraid they will ultimately be replaced. This is the wrong attitude. The better your group is the better for everybody involved. Yes, the available games may be spread among more guys, but a stronger group allows assigners greater leeway. You may not get assigned with "that guy" as much, and assigners look favorably on it.

As for D-I assigners preferring former MiLB guys; yes it is true, but its not automatic.

I don't want to offend any current, former or future MiLB guys so please take what I write exactly as I've written with no secret subtext. Absolutely, major conference D-I assigners want to put the best umpires on the field that they can, and quite often that comes in the form of former MiLB guys. Does that mean you get released as an umpire from a MiLB short-A league your going to walk right onto the ACC or SEC staff? Not a chance, but it may get you a little extra look. Now if you "time out" after AA or AAA, potentially. I think having the MiLB experience earns them a foot in the door, but not any guarantees.

I don't thing D-I and the major conference assigners are looking at the MiLB as a pedigree as much as knowing a former MiLB umpire has received extensive training, has been in high pressure situations, has a certain degree of game management and has already proven himself. Not to mention they have a fairly decent stream of candidates available. Thinking as an employer, I'd love to have this source of qualified employees. As I mentioned, in my opinion, it serves more of a foot in the door because there are certain assumptions that come with that experience, but once they have that foot in the door they still have to prove themselves. Also, these assigners have connections. They can easily find out the scoop (good or bad) of guys coming out of the minors.

Now, does that mean if you aren't a former MiLB guy you can't get into these major conferences? Not at all. Many of the former MiLB have a well-earned foot up of those with out, but get out there and prove yourself. Once you are in the system, it becomes much more of a meritocracy than birth-right. That former MiLB guy can shoot himself in the foot just as easily as any other umpire and the non-former professional can take advantage of situations which are presented to them and show what they are made of on the field. Many D-I assigners have other conferences they assign or sub-assign for. Don't get dissuaded that you're not in the "premier" conference. Bust your ass at that level and make them recognize your ability, so don't have a JuCo level of performance and a D-I level. 

And in all honesty, not all guys are cut out for the major conferences. You may be a damn good umpire but just don't have that extra "something" to transition to that level. Whether you like to hear it or not; everybody has a different level of ability and different maximums to that ability. If it were just an issue of putting in your time we'd all be working the CWS at some time in our career. It is a bitter pill to swallow when you hit that point, but but continue to be the best you can at that level. 

• Like 8

I'm not a D-I umpire. But here are my observations. 

1. Make sure your ready for not only D-I but for college baseball as a whole. Have several years of progressively challenging non-shaving aged games (Varsity, Legion, College Summer Leagues). Build up your experience and skill as the players are building theirs. The one thing I tell people who ask me about the conference I work for is that the playing ability isn't too much different than a decent HS Varsity game. The difference is that straight down the lineup these guys are faster. What may be routine in HS is now a banger because these guys are just that much faster.
  2. Go to camps and clinics. And I'm not necessarily speaking only of college "try out" camps. Continuing to increase your knowledge, skills and ability. And don't think just because you went to a camp 1 time that's enough. Continually look for camps to challenge your ability and expand your knowledge. 
  3. Build a umpiring resume. Just like a regular job resume. 
  4. Get into the system, but don't have any delusions of grandeur; you will not walk immediately onto a major conference D-I field. But get into the system, work JuCo, D-III, NAIA, Collegiate club baseball, etc... Continuing to build that experience. You will start to get known by the assigners. 
  5. Remember; At the college level remember you are expected to have a certain base level of skills. Good mechanics, good zone, rules knowledge are the expectation much more than HS. The coaches are paid to win and the stakes are higher. So don't expect kudos for just doing a "good" job. Also, coaches have say in who works their conference tournament many times. 
  6. Stand out in your group for the right reasons; professionalism, game management, dependability. Don't be the squeaky wheel. If there are things you don't like, unless you are willing to stake your umpiring career on the line, you are probably better off finding a new group.
  7. Patience. No body owes you anything. You may indeed be the best umpire there is, but until you earn that reputation on the field it means nothing.
  8. Don't turn your nose up at "lesser" games. So many times I've seen and heard of people who get offered a "lesser" level game from another group or organization because they get in a bind. And it turns out that group also assigns or sub-assigns for bigger and better divisions or conferences and guys then get in with that group and advance. Remember there are over 30 NCAA D-I baseball conferences and most are not major conferences.
  9. Observe the guys who are considered the top dogs in your group. What are they doing well. When you can work with them pick their brains, as for frank feedback on your performance.
  10. Find a way to be available for the weekday non-conference day games. This is often where assigners will put guys in to test them out. I personally struggle with this. My FT job really limits my ability for 1:00 weekday starts, so I have to accept things are going to move a little slower for me.
  11. As you develop and progress, help others who are developing. Too many guys at the higher levels are sometimes afraid to help develop others, b/c they are afraid they will ultimately be replaced. This is the wrong attitude. The better your group is the better for everybody involved. Yes, the available games may be spread among more guys, but a stronger group allows assigners greater leeway. You may not get assigned with "that guy" as much, and assigners look favorably on it.

<snip>

And in all honesty, not all guys are cut out for the major conferences. You may be a damn good umpire but just don't have that extra "something" to transition to that level. Whether you like to hear it or not; everybody has a different level of ability and different maximums to that ability. If it were just an issue of putting in your time we'd all be working the CWS at some time in our career. It is a bitter pill to swallow when you hit that point, but but continue to be the best you can at that level. 

​This is almost identical to what I said to a guy I worked with on Sunday who wanted to move into college, especially the bold. 

Edited by Matt