Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
bengalvfan

FPSR rule FED

The main discussion I am having with this play is does the rules support getting two outs on this play. To me the pop up slide does not alter the play. Does this matter here?

Relevant rules are:

8-4-2b

and

2-32-2

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

This call is very tight (skip to about 2:30 in the video unless you want to watch some mediocre pitching from the hybrid position).

Based on the principle in 2.32.2C, a no call would be supportable here: "Had the runner not made contact or altered the play, there would have been no violation."

If the umpire ruled that the runner altered the play, that call is supportable too. You might disagree with his judgment and still acknowledge that he has the rule correct.

Ruling an FPSR violation mandates getting 2 outs (unless it's the third out), so that can't be the issue here.

Since the governing rule here is 2-32-2a (pop up slide into the fielder), and not 2-32-2c, altering the play is not required for interference to be called.  I believe this call was correct.

• Like 2

Also, with the exception of the splayed out feet, nice plate mechanics by PU here.  Good slot position and head height.  Appears to be good tracking without moving the head or body.  Nice, crisp point on his strikes and good timing.  Plate on this semifinal game looks to be well-deserved.

In FED, a pop-up slide INTO THE FIELDER is a violation, and two outs.

In NCAA, as long as the contact is on top of the base, you can pop up into the fielder.

• Like 1

Since the governing rule here is 2-32-2a (pop up slide into the fielder), and not 2-32-2c, altering the play is not required for interference to be called.  I believe this call was correct.

​Well I believe the wording in 8-4-2b are more applicable. in 2-32-2 this just defines illegal slides.  8-4-2b elaborates further on when and when not to enforce.

​Well I believe the wording in 8-4-2b are more applicable. in 2-32-2 this just defines illegal slides.  8-4-2b elaborates further on when and when not to enforce.

​Glad you mentioned that!  Let's look at 8-4-2b:

8-4-2:  Any runner is out when he:

b. does not legally slide and causes illegal contact and/or illegally alters the actions of a fielder in the immediate act of making a play, or on a force play, does not slide in a direct line between bases

Is a pop-up slide into a fielder illegal?  Is it illegal contact?  Yes on both counts.  We have sufficient cause to call interference on this force play and call the BR out.

• Like 1

Stolen from @sdix00 off of Facebook:

NFHS Website 2000
SITUATION 11: R1, on first base, is moving on the pitch. B2 hits to F6, who tries for the out at second base. F6 cleanly throws to first base, after which R1 pops up on the base and jostles F6, HAVING NO EFFECT ON THE PLAY. 
RULING: R1 committed an illegal slide when he did a pop-up slide into F6. Since he committed an illegal slide and made contact with F6 during a force-play situation, the ball is declared dead, and both R1 and B2 are declared out.
(8-4-2b penalty, 2-32-2a)

• Like 2

this a good example of the BRD between the NCAA & Fed FPSR.  Legal in NCAA & FPSR violation in Fed

Edited by mw94
  • Like 1

Sidebar: Who puts a banner, much less one with so much white, in straight away center field?

​Apparently, Walnut High School.

Glad I could help.  ;)

• Like 2

Also, that pitchers hat falling off on every pitch is annoying.  CUT THOSE DREADS!!!

Also, with the exception of the splayed out feet, nice plate mechanics by PU here.  Good slot position and head height.  Appears to be good tracking without moving the head or body.  Nice, crisp point on his strikes and good timing.  Plate on this semifinal game looks to be well-deserved.

​Haha, I noticed that too.  I pay good money for that protection and the last thing I am going to do is point my toes at the dugouts.  Thus rendering that protection useless.

And as another sidenote...... is Christian using an illegal hybrid stance when pitching from the windup?

And as another sidenote...... is Christian using an illegal hybrid stance when pitching from the windup?

​Tough angle but his heel may be in line with the front edge. 

That little book of suggestions aside (Fed case book), can a distinction be made between a fielder and a person on defense who sometimes is a fielder. If he can no longer effect the play, I think he is just a person on defense...not a fielder.

by the book, as cited .... it is indeed FPSR.   However, I understand how people can see that although an illegal slide, it happened after the play and didn't effect it.

I had a similar call to make in my DI District Final on Monday, but mine was much more clear cut (slid to the outfield side of 2nd toward F6 with both arms in the air, actually touched F6) ........

Bottom line, ballsy, good call, and ... he sold it!

• Like 1

The calling ump definitely sold the call, and stood by it - good job!. I would not have interference on this, the ball has left the 2B hand and the runner popped up after the throw was gone. The 2B just stood on the bag after the throw, instead of crossing it like he should.

Now if the throw and pop-up happened at the same time - sure, but I don't see it in this case. Is it automatic? Yes, if there is interference - No if it doesn't hinder the play, even in FED. I see @Grayhawk's post, but some common sense has to happen on the umpires part. The 2B stood on the bag and actually grabbed the guy.

These plays are judgement calls IMO, it can't be all black and white.

On another note - has anyone else heard that FED may be going to the NCAA FPSR?

Edited by maineump

The calling ump definitely sold the call, and stood by it - good job!. I would not have interference on this, the ball has left the 2B hand and the runner popped up after the throw was gone. The 2B just stood on the bag after the throw, instead of crossing it like he should.

Now if the throw and pop-up happened at the same time - sure, but I don't see it in this case. Is it automatic? Yes, if there is interference - No if it doesn't hinder the play, even in FED. I see @Grayhawk's post, but some common sense has to happen on the umpires part. The 2B stood on the bag and actually grabbed the guy.

These plays are judgement calls IMO, it can't be all black and white.

The question was asked in this season's survey. I'd give my useless left nut if they do. However, I'm sure I'll still have both five years from now.
  • Like 1

Speaking of stones...it takes a set to end a game on that call!

I am always telling kids that if you don't want me to make these kinds of judgment calls, don't do things that put it in my hands.  If the runner stays down, he doesn't have to worry about the umpire's call.

• Like 1

​They're considering it.  It was on this year's rule survey.