Finals Week.

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3245 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I have never been more proud of a 68 percent in my life. I passed! I'm done! I never have to go back to algebra!
(But on the other hand, my Spanish practical is today...)

​There's always algebra 2 to look forward to.  :eek:

My district only requires three math credits for graduation and the classes are algebra 1, geometry, algebra 2/trig, pre-calc, stats, calc. If you want to get to Calculus, you have to take every other class. 

Math was my best subject.  Took Algebra I in the 8th, Geometry 9th, Algebra II 10th, Trigonometry 11th, and Calculus in 12th.  

I took 3 calculus classes in college and then took an algebra class to not take the 4th calculus class.  Prof told me to just show up for tests.  I killed the curve for the others.  First test class average was a 36.  And I was responsibile for bringing it up from a 32 with the only grade above a C.  

My district only requires three math credits for graduation and the classes are algebra 1, geometry, algebra 2/trig, pre-calc, stats, calc. If you want to get to Calculus, you have to take every other class. 

​That's fairly normal. I just figured you'd be looking forward to calc as much as you love algebra. ;)

My HS didn't offer calc, but my first 4 semesters at college were Calc I, Calc II, Calc III, and Differential Equations. That's what an engineering major will do for you.

• Like 1

I took Math 1 in sixth grade and passed with flying colors (yet I still screw up fractions and integers) then in seventh I was placed in pre-algebra with all the kids who had taken Math 2 and that's when I started slipping. This year was my second time taking algebra and next year I'll be in geometry, which should supposedly be easier for my dysalgebraic mind.
If any of you feel like hearing some GREAT math student horror stories, hit up @ricka56. Some of them aren't even about me!

I also passed my Spanish practical this afternoon. Tomorrow morning is my last final in biology, and then I'm free for three whole months...

I seem to remember making a panicked post about being a high schooler in the fall.
I survived!

First year teachers usually have a difficult time, I was no exception. My first year as a teacher, I had a frosh algebra class working in a rural Texas community. Last class every day was the worst...30+ student and 3 of the biggest knuckleheads in the school. Towards the end of the year, some took to throwing spitballs at the chalk board every time I turned to write something on the it.

My head was turned...never saw/caught anyone in the act, so I devised a game. At the end of class, 6 of the most likely suspects got to draw numbers (1-6) and then one of the good students rolled a die. The number that came up on the die indicated how many were going to detention and number drawn indicated which of the 6 were going to detention that night. Drawee #1 was definitely going to detention, Drawees 2, 3, 4, 5 ,6 would go to detention based on the roll of the die. I'd ask the class, what are the odds that knucklehead #1 was going to detention that day? If that class learned nothing else that year, they understood probability. This daily probability lesson eventually halted the spit-ball problem.

• Like 1

My head was turned...never saw/caught anyone in the act, so I devised a game. At the end of class, 6 of the most likely suspects got to draw numbers (1-6) and then one of the good students rolled a die. The number that came up on the die indicated how many were going to detention and number drawn indicated which of the 6 were going to detention that night. Drawee #1 was definitely going to detention, Drawees 2, 3, 4, 5 ,6 would go to detention based on the roll of the die. I'd ask the class, what are the odds that knucklehead #1 was going to detention that day? If that class learned nothing else that year, they understood probability. This daily probability lesson eventually halted the spit-ball problem.

​This method has application for chirping in the dugout as well (just to bring it back to umpiring).

​That's fairly normal. I just figured you'd be looking forward to calc as much as you love algebra. ;)

My HS didn't offer calc, but my first 4 semesters at college were Calc I, Calc II, Calc III, and Differential Equations. That's what an engineering major will do for you.

​DiffEq's...Don't particularly miss those.  But still better than Geometrical Proofs to me.

• Like 2

I took Alg. 1 in my freshman year, Geometry as a sophomore, Alg 2. as a junior, and Alg 3 as a senior where I reached my mathematical limit and somehow managed a D and that was the only D I was somewhat proud of.

​My only D came in Calc III in college.  I never finished a test but aced everything I got to.  ADHD was not my friend.

I'll have a master's degree next year and the only math class I passed in five years as an undergrad was business statistics at a junior college with less than a thousand students.  And, this was after I failed 099 intermediate college algebra, and 121 Algebra at the same school.  Needless to say, I got an ass chewin from my baseball coach who was paying my tuition.