Team Wendy pads Hard?

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3245 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Guys,

Search feature wasn't working properly for me, so hopefully this hasn't been a previously discussed topic.

Have been wearing Team Wendy pads for a year and I just wash them with my regular dark clothes and then air dry them.  Yesterday before I started a game behind the plate I was feeling the lower pad and they were VERY hard.  Really had to squeeze them to leave a mark.

Anyone else have this issue before and if so, how did you correct it?  Luckily I wasn't hit yesterday, but I imagine it would've been more painful than usual.

Thanks guys.

Guys,

Search feature wasn't working properly for me, so hopefully this hasn't been a previously discussed topic.

Have been wearing Team Wendy pads for a year and I just wash them with my regular dark clothes and then air dry them.  Yesterday before I started a game behind the plate I was feeling the lower pad and they were VERY hard.  Really had to squeeze them to leave a mark.

Anyone else have this issue before and if so, how did you correct it?  Luckily I wasn't hit yesterday, but I imagine it would've been more painful than usual.

Thanks guys.

​What was your game time temperature?

Mine were hard as a rock a year and 3 months ago.  I got three headaches taking baseballs in the mask from them and never had felt that before.  Sold them to  Jocko.  He likes them.  I did not.

• Like 2

Guys,

Thanks guys.

​Found them to be too stiff.  Not a fan.

I have found mine to be a little hard, or maybe it's the fit to my face...I really seem to feel an impact in my upper cheekbone.  Found this in game situations, and confirmed by hitting myself in the mask pretty hard with the heel of my hand (can just imagine what this looks like to an observer).  As I think about it, I actually don't quite get the memory or slow-response foam idea.  If it takes a little bit of time to compress or bounce back, then by definition it's going to remain stiff during the 10th of a second or whatever is the time scale of a baseball impact.  

Not looking for an argument, I know some guys swear by them, and to each his own.  For now, I've gone back to pads with more traditional foam.

Guys, it is entirely possible that the washing detergent you use may be the culprit. Off-the-shelf detergents do leave a residue behind to help resist grime and stains on clothing. This is also known to hamper or handcuff the effectiveness of wicking fabric. So it may react and affect Zorbium in this hardening way.

I would advise using a technical soap, such Nikwax's TechWash, or Penguin Sport Wash, sold at outdoor / activity stores like REI, Cabela's, Bass Pro, or Gander Mtn. I use this on my wicking shirts, jackets, and other technical wear.

Here are my masks....Wilson Dyna Lite with TW.....like I said mine are soft.....and work as prescribed. I got a Dyna Lite Alum with Memory foam coming, just because I got it half off...and just want to compare.

masked.jpg.88d8bf02111b80e638eb15eb2490b4a0.jpg

Edited by Mr Ump
  • Like 1

Guys,

Thanks guys.

​How old are the pads? How many games did you use them for?

The first two sets of TW pads for me were great, but they got stiff at the end of my season. Just like any other mask pads replace them every year and they should be fine.

Why wash them? that might be part of the problem. If they smell Febreeze them or take them off your mask and let them dry if they get wet.

Edited by jkumpire

About two years.  Maybe worked 50 or so games with them.

As far as the washing is concerned, I can't imagine how much bacteria would be on the pads if I didn't wash them.  Gross.  

And on some of the Team Wendy literature I received they stated how to wash them correctly and I followed those instructions.  So something is obviously wrong with the pads and I'm glad they are getting me out a new set to fix the problem.

Ive had 2 sets of the Team Wendy pads.....the first set I got off a unhappy colleague, who didn't like them, I found them hard and poorly constructed. They looked as if they had been stitched by a 7th grade home ec class. Since I had gotten them second hand, I could not return them. I gave them away,

I purchased a set from Team Wendy determined to get a real feel for them. Much better workmanship and construction, but never got comfortable with them. I switched my gamer back to doeskin pads. The wendy's are on one of my my back up masks.......

Mine were constructed great, and they really softened up in the hot weather.  In cold weather however, they really got hard :blush2:.  Besides the fabric irritating my face, the temperatures here can go from 30 to 100 in the summer.  I can't deal with hard pads regardless of how loose my mask is. 

Third game with the new pads and I suffered a concussion.  In fairness, I don't know if there is a pad out there that can protect from a batter fouling a ball flush off the mask from a kid throwing 91.

Just took a new job that won't allow me to umpire the rest of the year, but I still have a few games left and unfortunately I won't be calling balls and strikes anymore this year due to not being cleared.