American Legion Test

HuskerUmp22
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3277 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I'm working on the American Legion Test and have a couple of questions I'm struggling with. 

"R1 on 2nd base. Pitcher delivers the pitch to the batter without coming to a complete stop. The umpire yells "Balk." The batter singles to left field, and R1 remains at 2nd base."

I know this is a delayed dead ball, but my question is if the play stands where does the batter and R1 go? Does the batter get first on the single and the runner stay at 2nd? 

Next question:

"R1 rounds 3rd base and sees the catcher up the baseline awaiting the throw from the fielder, but the throw is cut off." 

I do not like the wording of this question, but the way it is worded seems like it should be obsruction regardless of the throw being cut off. Anybody have any insight here? One of the answers is, "The runner should try to avoid contact with the catcher even if he doesn't have the ball, obstruction should be called, and the runner is safe." I think that is correct.  I guess my main question is how far can the catcher be up the baseline? 

1. If Legion uses the OBR balk rule, then the balk is ignored only if the BR and other runners reach their advance bases. R2 (that is, "R1 on 2nd base" — thought only FED used that) did not advance, so enforce the balk: R2 to 3B, batter returns to the plate, no pitch. Don't mix and match, and no, coach, you don't have an option.

2. I can't tell what that runner does: does he go back into 3B? Does he try to score? If he's 60+ feet from F2, he cannot be obstructed. No hindrance = no OBS.

Posting the response choices might help assess the "best answer," but #2 is a pretty vague question (among its other flaws).

• Like 1

Never had heard of a legion test, doing some googling it looks like it's on a state by state basis.  I think I found your test, #3 & 6 are probably worth posting here as well, pretty interesting situations.  

As far as your questions, I agree with @Maven.  Legion uses pretty much American League rules with the NCAA slide rule btw.  

Edited by zoops

Question 3 is the following:

"R1 on 2nd base, R2 on 1st base, both runners attempt to steal as the batter squares to bunt. The batter misses the pitch then interferes with the catcher's attempt to throw R1 out at 3rd base. The catcher then throws to 2nd base and retires R2 advancing from 1st base." 

A) R2 is out, R1 is allowed to remain at 3rd, and the interference is ignored.

B) Batter interference, batter is out, both runners must return to their original bases. 

C) R1 is out and R2 must return to 1st base.

D) R1 and R2 are both call out. 

American Legion follows MLB rules NOT Federation.

So I think 6.06 © covers this one. "Batter is not out if any runner attempting to advance is put out." 

Batter is not out but R1 and R2 are both out. I have D for this one.  

A

Rule 6.06© Comment: If the batter interferes with the catcher, the plate umpire shall call
“interference.” The batter is out and the ball dead. No player may advance on such interference (offensive
interference) and all runners must return to the last base that was, in the judgment of the umpire,
legally touched at the time of the interference.
If, however, the catcher makes a play and the runner attempting to advance is put out, it is to
be assumed there was no actual interference and that runner is out—not the batter. Any other runners on the base at the time may advance as the ruling is that there is no actual interference if a runner is retired. In that case play proceeds just as if no violation had been called.

Edited by Rich Ives

If the INITIAL throw retires a runner the INT is disregarded. If that criteria is not met then the batter is out and runners return. This is assuming that the batter is not out on strikes at the time of INT. 

HuskerUmp, where do you umpire at? I live in Waverly  member of the CUA  

Edited by UmpTTS43

If the INITIAL throw retires a runner the INT is disregarded. If that criteria is not met then the batter is out and runners return. This is assuming that the batter is not out on strikes at the time of INT. 

HuskerUmp, where do you umpire at? I live in Waverly  member of the CUA  

Cool! Maybe we can exchange test answers.

​I live in Omaha. I work for a couple different organizations throughout the year but American Legion with Nebraska Umpires Association. 

American Legion follows MLB rules NOT Federation.

​This rule (or at least this play) is the same under all codes.  I have B.  The BI was during the (attempted) throw to third.  As soon as there wasn't a throw, the ball is dead.  The out at second "never happened".  Batter is out, runners return.

​This rule (or at least this play) is the same under all codes.  I have B.  The BI was during the (attempted) throw to third.  As soon as there wasn't a throw, the ball is dead.  The out at second "never happened".  Batter is out, runners return.

​Agree. People read "initial throw" in a situation like this and assume you have to go with the throw.

Not so: the batter's action hindered F2's play to 3B. When that throw didn't happen, enforce the penalty for BI.

This rule does not say "initial throw". The initial attempt is in the FED casebook but this is an OBR question.

Even if it did cover the initial throw the only throw was the one that retired the runner at 2B. As per the rule quoted, the catcher did make a play and the runner was retired.

Edited by Rich Ives