Two Man Crew

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3251 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

10 answers to this question

The basic mechanics are:

A with nobody on

B with somebody on 1st (and nowhere else)

C at all other times

NFHS recently changed their official mechanics to include going back to B when runners are on 1st and 3rd (but not 2nd).

According to the 2015-2016 FED Umpire Manual:

B - "This will be the position used with first base occupied in the two-man system"

C - "This position will be used in any situation with runners occupying bases other than first base in the two-man system"

Edited by Blueump

B - "This will be the position used with first base occupied in the two-man system"

C - "This position will be used in any situation with runners occupying bases other than first base in the two-man system"

​Sure, but what does it say on p. 41?

​Heck, that's contradictory within itself.  With R1, R2, for example, both conditions are met.

I don't subscribe to the B with two outs, otherwise C nonsense. If I'm in C, ground ball hit, the play is at first, I move over into B and get a better look at the play. I stay in C to begin with for a better look at an attempted pick off.  

I don't subscribe to the B with two outs, otherwise C nonsense. If I'm in C, ground ball hit, the play is at first, I move over into B and get a better look at the play. I stay in C to begin with for a better look at an attempted pick off. 

​That would be great if everyone did it.  Unfortunately, there are way too many who don't -- and that's why some mechanics, like some rules, are designed for th elowest common denominator umpire.