Masks and glasses

webspinnre
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3274 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I did a couple of searches, and while this was occasionally mentioned in threads, I didn't find one that specifically discussed it. I'm looking to upgrade from my starter mask, and am seriously considering going the HSM route after borrowing a friend's for a game today (I had to fill-in when an ump didn't show up after I finished coaching, and didn't have my mask with me).

However, the one thing I'm not sure about is that I wear glasses - for those of you who have glasses, what have your experiences been with HSMs and glasses (or traditional and glasses?). I hate wearing the glasses straps, but I want to avoid the glasses coming off when I remove the mask. Today it seemed to go pretty smoothly, but wanted to poll the masses before I take the plunge. If I do go the traditional route, are there any masks you've found that work particularly well or particularly poorly with glasses?

Like the the old joke goes. "how do I get to Carnegie Hall?" Practice.

You should be able to take any mask, traditional or hockey style, off without you glasses or you hat flying off.

• Like 2

I wear an All Star 2500, it took a bit of practice but now I have no problems with my glasses falling off. You should be fine, although I can't speak for the shock FX by wilson when I had one it gave me problems but it was a size too small.

I wore an All Star HSM for one season and had no issues with my glasses, thought it worked very well with them. I went back to a traditional mask simply because I prefer it to the heavier, bulkier HSM. The best combo I've found for glasses in a traditional mask is my Diamond Featherweight with Team Wendy Pads. I found the Wilson wrap around pads left too little room for my glasses, the Team Wendy pads aren't as wide and bulky.  

I wear Wilson new-view shape masks with Oakley Half Jacket sunglasses behind the plate often. (Easy you traditionalists and naysayers, I wear G-30 lenses which make the ball look amazingly white and the grass/turf amazingly green for fantastic contrast. Really help you pick up the ball in any light including artificial.) and I've never had a problem with them pulling off. I believe they are quite a bit bulkier than normal vision correction glasses frames. I've also had many partners over the years wear glasses and sunglasses with HSMs and traditional frame masks with no problems at all.

Practice, practice, practice before going into a field and you will be fine.

I, too, wear a Wilson New View with my 'scripts with no problems. 

I've been beaned so often in that mask that my partners are convinced I'm showing more symptoms of dementia pugilistica than 5-time light-heavyweight contender Brian Sutherland.     

I wear both the Force 3 mask and Wilson mask with glasses.  When I went to purchase glasses I took the masks and a hat with me so that I could ensure the glasses fit properly and that I would be able to remove the mask with no issues.  PPPPPP.  MajorDave knows what this means.

I can't wear my wilson shock with my sunglasses as the glasses come off every time. However, it is slightly too small and I only used it for 35ish games. In general, I hated using the HSM so I didn't practice taking it off with my glasses.

@umpstu

I do. Mostly because I was a slow learner with a hard head when I was younger. Now I'm wiser. I'm almost ready to graduate from the University of Hard Knocks. Took me quite a while to start to listen to those old-timers. Now I am one. Just like that. I'm old. Still not worn out, yet.

Get contact lenses!

Not everyone can wear them, myself included. I've tried but my astigmatism is so bad I had to wear torics and they just weren't comfortable at all. My vision also sucked in them. So I'm stuck with glasses because I don't have the $$$ for Lasik.

• Like 1

I too have worn glasses my entire life - was a catcher long before the HSM ever came out.

No problems. But I have found that wearing glasses shaped like sport sun glasses make a huge difference. They wrap around your face well.

I also wear a 6 seam hat - if you can wear 6 seam and not dislodge the hat, then glasses should be no problem.

Make sure the mask is loose, and you can pull it out and up.

As far as fogging - it help to have an adjusted nose bridge, so you can move the glasses away from your face.

For fogging issues I use this, www.c-clearantifog.com My youngest son wears glasses while playing sports, and for football especially I use this stuff because his frames fit tight to his face, ala Eric Dickerson style. This stuff works really well. I usually apply it every two-three days during football, and probably to times a week during baseball. One little container of the paste has lasted us over a year now.

I have never had a problem with my glasses staying on with my traditonal mask.  On occassion I have had problems with two particular hats staying on.  One is my association's hat and the strap on it gets hung up in the harness in the back and off it comes.  The CDP velcro hat sticks to the harness and it comes off as well.

I wear the Wilson Shock FX 2.0 and wear prescription eye glasses.  I've never had a problem.  To remove the mask, I grab the lower portion with my left hand, then pull out and up.  My glasses have always stayed put without using a strap.

The proper technique is to push your mask away from you then up.I wear glasses,once I started doing that never had a problem.

This. And make sure you're wearing your mask loose. 

Although guys that wear sunglasses on the plate are a little questionable sometimes...

The proper technique is to push your mask away from you then up.I wear glasses,once I started doing that never had a problem.

This. And make sure you're wearing your mask loose. 

Although guys that wear sunglasses on the plate are a little questionable sometimes...

Says the guy with sunglasses on in his profile pic. Emoji's didn't work. 

Edited by Dbellyflop

Thanks for all of the responses. Unfortunately contacts are no longer an option for me - since moving to california and dealing with allergies, my eyes get too dry and itchy, even with performance enhancing drugs (nasal steroids) and OTC pharmaceutical remedies (zyrtec). Sounds like pretty much anything is fine, so long as I wear/remove it properly. Right now trying to decide between traditional and hsm. Leaning either diamond ix3 traditional or mvp2500 hsm at the moment.

Thanks for all of the responses. Unfortunately contacts are no longer an option for me - since moving to california and dealing with allergies, my eyes get too dry and itchy, even with performance enhancing drugs (nasal steroids) and OTC pharmaceutical remedies (zyrtec). Sounds like pretty much anything is fine, so long as I wear/remove it properly. Right now trying to decide between traditional and hsm. Leaning either diamond ix3 traditional or mvp2500 hsm at the moment.

Why not both if you can? I know I personally prefer a traditional mask, but there are a few fields that it's just not safe, both because of level of play and field layout. I'm glad I have both and can interchange them as the situation warrants. 

Why not both if you can? I know I personally prefer a traditional mask, but there are a few fields that it's just not safe, both because of level of play and field layout. I'm glad I have both and can interchange them as the situation warrants. 

​Under consideration, but that's a longer term project. As I currently only umpire little league games, I'm unpaid, so this is all out of pocket.

Just ordered the Diamond ix3, can't wait to try it out this weekend.

Edited by webspinnre