Umpires eject entire roster of both teams

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2588 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

So say this was to happen at one of the games we called, it has never happened to me. How do you guys handle it as umpires? I believe I have been told to stay out of the fight and start noting numbers of who was involved, not to get in between the players, let the coaches and admins handle that. If everyone leaves the dugout, then all are ejected in HS.

I hope this never happens on a field when i am officiating.

• Like 2

Happened in my area 2 years ago. The umps stood back and took names. One school had to play a county tourney with the JV. The other got to use 3 Varsity players in the tourney. Most suspensions were for 1 or 2 games.

Larry Sansevere

sent from my phone

So say this was to happen at one of the games we called, it has never happened to me. How do you guys handle it as umpires? I believe I have been told to stay out of the fight and start noting numbers of who was involved, not to get in between the players, let the coaches and admins handle that. If everyone leaves the dugout, then all are ejected in HS.

I hope this never happens on a field when i am officiating.

​I'm not getting anywhere near the melee.  I'm taking down numbers and ejecting, accordingly.  

I noticed in the video the umpires became engaged.  Not sure why, but I'm never getting in the middle of something like that. 

• Like 1

Anyone else notice the mom applauding the fight? Wow!

Considering the area, I'm not that surprised sadly.

So say this was to happen at one of the games we called, it has never happened to me. How do you guys handle it as umpires?

​Get out of the way and protect yourself. I acknowledge that sometimes this is easier said than done but it is important.

I'm glad to see that they canned the game instead of trying to keep it going like we've seen in other places.

Edited by Welpe

“Mike Kline is a fantastic coach whom I have a ton of respect for. I know that he is as disappointed as I am in the outcome of the game, and will use it as a learning opportunity for his kids."

I bet he will!

Carson was involved in a brawl last season against Banning that also resulted in a double forfeit.

Or maybe not...

Edited by BretMan
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with tossing both teams out.  That fight is ridiculous.  Sometimes high school baseball needs to step back and realize it's a game.  For God's sake, you say play to start a game.

• 3 weeks later...

Michigan has an automatic 2 game suspension for anyone leaving the dug-out during a fight.  The umpires should just stand back, take numbers and afterward, determine if there are enough players and/or coaches left to complete the game.  Then prepare to file a report by noon the next day.

• 2 months later...

It happened to me in JUCO Conference Game 1st game of a doubleheader and the coach asked my partner and I what time will the second game start after we forfeited the first game we said neither team has a enough players to play the second game with all the mandatory 2 game suspensions. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

We, famously, had one of these here in Portland a few years back. Base guy tried to figure out the numbers for the players on the field. Then realized it was easier to get the numbers for kids NOT on the field. There were only three from one team that got to play the next game and none front the other.

Also remember... in HS leaving the bench will result in an ejection. NCAA they actually have to participate. 

• Like 1

We haven't had a brawl in South Carolina in baseball in a long, long time.  But, based on precedent from other sports (football, soccer) in recent years...both teams would be banned from the post-season (in addition to the suspensions, fines (to coaches and the school), etc.)

• 2 months later...

Baseball is the worst sport to have an automatic EJ for leaving the bench in my opinion.  Basketball?   Fine.  Football?  Fine.  Those are equal in the number of people on the field.  Baseball, I know fights are often initiated by the batter on a pitch, but it gets initiated often by the defense.  Let's say a batter comes up and the catcher starts mouthing and jumps him.  Then a couple more players on the defense jumps him.  You've just allowed, by the automatic EJ rule, a mugging.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
On 1/18/2016 at 7:01 PM, BT_Blue said:

We, famously, had one of these here in Portland a few years back. Base guy tried to figure out the numbers for the players on the field. Then realized it was easier to get the numbers for kids NOT on the field.

This plays like a joke... But I bet you're dead serious... During bench clearing brawl, with automatic ejections for leaving the bench, this is the way to handle it. 

On 3/27/2016 at 9:12 AM, TNCoach said:

Baseball is the worst sport to have an automatic EJ for leaving the bench in my opinion.  Basketball?   Fine.  Football?  Fine.  Those are equal in the number of people on the field.  Baseball, I know fights are often initiated by the batter on a pitch, but it gets initiated often by the defense.  Let's say a batter comes up and the catcher starts mouthing and jumps him.  Then a couple more players on the defense jumps him.  You've just allowed, by the automatic EJ rule, a mugging.

Yeah.... Even though someone else noted defensive players that leave their position get tossed too. That doesn't protect the lone offensive player in every situation. (Think about how many plays end up with 2 or 3 fielded around a single base runner on a single base)

I think we can clean this up with a simple, but smart, 3rd-man-in rule.

3rd man in is tossed (Any subsequent player is also tossed). Unless the 3rd man is in there trying to break it up.

49 minutes ago, Radie said:

This plays like a joke... But I bet you're dead serious... During bench clearing brawl, with automatic ejections for leaving the bench, this is the way to handle it. 

Yeah.... Even though someone else noted defensive players that leave their position get tossed too. That doesn't protect the lone offensive player in every situation. (Think about how many plays end up with 2 or 3 fielded around a single base runner on a single base)

I think we can clean this up with a simple, but smart, 3rd-man-in rule.

3rd man in is tossed (Any subsequent player is also tossed). Unless the 3rd man is in there trying to break it up.

Forget the last sentence. Even if he is intending to break it up, the opponent is going to feel it's 2 on 1.