Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
kstrunk

How much latitude?

I was on the bases for a JV 'David & Goliath' type match up (only David didn't win). It was my first high school game. The 'David' team was a small, inexperienced team on which just about everything was lacking, especially pitching. The last pitcher they put in had NEVER pitched before, and required teaching, on the mound, during the game, as he had no idea what to do. 

It was clear from the first pitch that the game would be difficult, but wondering how much latitude you guys afford in such situations? This warm up took every bit of 4-5 minutes, and amazingly it worked, he didn't even come close to a balk. But the whole time I'm standing there wondering if I'm doing this team any favors by letting this go on. Talk to me. 

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

My opinion... it would matter a lot based on my feel for the coaches.  Usually in a blowout, there's an understanding that latitude can and should be extended.  There's also a usual understanding that the team doing the trouncing better not be looking for walks, or the strike zone will swell drastically.

But, there's an occasional d1ck of a coach, who just doesn't get it, and who can make everyone's life miserable.  You dare not explain unwritten rules to him.  You just have to tough it out until the game's over.

I try to get my read on the coaches' personalities during the pregame conference and observing them in general before game time.

What do you mean by a 4-5 minute warm up?

New pitcher brought in in the middle of an inning. His warm up pitches didn't even begin until he was on the mound for at least 2 minutes, being trained by his coach to pitch from the set position without balking. Then after each of the first 3-4 pitches, there was more instruction, as he was initially having difficulty grasping the concept of starting and stopping properly. This took at least 4-5 minutes. 

New pitcher brought in in the middle of an inning. His warm up pitches didn't even begin until he was on the mound for at least 2 minutes, being trained by his coach to pitch from the set position without balking. Then after each of the first 3-4 pitches, there was more instruction, as he was initially having difficulty grasping the concept of starting and stopping properly. This took at least 4-5 minutes.

I normally move this along. He is making a change, get warm ups started asap. He gets his eight, coach can't slow him down. Charge a conference after giving coach warning (not required, but good preventative umpiring) if he persists. If he becomes unglued, go through your procedure for dealing with problem coaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This kid is playing HS baseball and apparently has never watched a baseball game before?

I'm all about teaching, but im sure as heck not going to wait around while 'wanna be Leo Mazzone' gives a lesson mid-game. We play ball.

In a blowout game like this anyway, whos really calling all the nit-picky balks. Just tell them to throw it to the batter so he can hit it.

It's JV. You just have to "suck it up, buttercup". At least the instruction resulted in a kid throwing close to strikes.

I am for time limits in those games but I've been repeatedly told by my HS assigners NO TIME LIMITS in HS baseball.

I got burned on Monday night. What was scheduled on Arbiter as V DH was, in actuality, a JV DH when I arrived. It was a walk festival. None of these kids could pitch. They either bounced and went to backstop or flew over batters' and catchers' heads to the backstop. It was horrible. I just whistled while I worked. Missed the national championship game as a result of it.

It's JV. You just have to "suck it up, buttercup". At least the instruction resulted in a kid throwing close to strikes.

I am for time limits in those games but I've been repeatedly told by my HS assigners NO TIME LIMITS in HS baseball.

I got burned on Monday night. What was scheduled on Arbiter as V DH was, in actuality, a JV DH when I arrived. It was a walk festival. None of these kids could pitch. They either bounced and went to backstop or flew over batters' and catchers' heads to the backstop. It was horrible. I just whistled while I worked. Missed the national championship game as a result of it.

He didn't say the instruction helped him throw strikes - only that it kept him from balking :P

Very few strikes. PU opened it up for sure, but the ball should probably reach the plate in the air, and be reachable by the batter to be a strike. It was rough, I wore out the ground in 'C' position!

That said, I'll take what I can get. Not complaining friends, just seeking wisdom, and praising God that I've got some games! Thanks again.

I'd be doing a lot of preventive officiating, having the shortstop telling the pitcher to come set, etc..  Have a team in the area that is not good, being nice here, and they look forward to when I umpire them as they learn something about the game and get to hear a lot of really dumb jokes, puns.  It's a nice break from the nut cutter games where people take a hgih school baseball game too seriously.  And they are great kids.

I'd be doing a lot of preventive officiating, having the shortstop telling the pitcher to come set, etc.. 

I'll do that with F2, but you're saying F6? I'm guessing you'd do that as BU?

My technique is not to use a fielder at that point (heck, I'm 15 feet from the kid), but instead to go over and ask to see the ball. While I pretend to look at the ball, I'll tell him to give us a good stop.

F2 is usually the smartest kid on the field, so I trust him to relay the message accurately. There's no telling about F6!

• Like 1

At that level, if the game has a time limit, I couldn't give a hoot about what they do on the field, as long as it's related to the game.  It's their time and I get paid the same.  They've got two hours to use as they see fit.  I'd police it if the other coach complained, but I've found they're all pretty understanding.  Having said this, I've not worked a game that features such activities as you've seen at yours.  I may feel different in the same situation.

• Like 1

In games like this, you do what you need to do (forget the RB).

If a 4-5 minute pitching tutorial is needed, do it.

Keep it moving to its conclusion.

The game may seem like it'll never end, but they all do.