Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
ref4e

Couple of Plate Mechanics Questions

Question

Couple of plate work questions:

Question 1:

How do you handle the situation with a tall catcher and short batter?    If I set up with my eyes at the top of the strike zone, I'm losing the outside corner because the catcher's head is in the way; and if I set up with my chin no lower than the top of catcher's head, I can see the outside corner, but am well above the top of the strike zone.   

Question 2:

How do you handle a catcher who slides over to the inside corner when a batter is already crowding the plate?    When this happens, it takes my slot away.    I've been told to set up higher, but when I do that I can't see the catcher glove the ball, meaning I'm guessing on pitches low in the zone.

I'm working middle school and high school baseball and softball.

3 answers to this question

1.  You lose the outside corner.  You can try to stick your head in farther, but that usually drives your zone down. Communicate with F2.

2.  Again, communicate with F2.  Let him know he's giving up the low strike when he sets up like that. 

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

Just set up in your normal spot and watch for the ball.  You'll see it.

And, you already know the inside corner.  If the catcher moves outside because that's where the ball is, that will open things up and you'll see that.

Solicit opinions from the catcher, batter and the fans as to what you should call there.  You can take a vote, be the first democratic umpire. :question1: I

1.  You lose the outside corner.  You can try to stick your head in farther, but that usually drives your zone down. Communicate with F2.

2.  Again, communicate with F2.  Let him know he's giving up the low strike when he sets up like that. 

I disagree with #2 here.  You have to change for them not them for you.  So if that means you get down on one knee and dry hump the catcher then you do it.  If you can't see then you need to adjust.  I set up based off where the catcher sets up.  I never tell the catcher they are giving something up, instead I work to find a position that I can see the zone.  That might mean giving up seeing the pitcher's release.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By ref4e
      Posted this on Ask the Umpire first, then saw the mechanics thread.   (Sorry...newbie to the forum)

Couple of plate work questions:

Question 1:
      How do you handle the situation with a tall catcher and short batter?    If I set up with my eyes at the top of the strike zone, I'm losing the outside corner because the catcher's head is in the way; and if I set up with my chin no lower than the top of catcher's head, I can see the outside corner, but am well above the top of the strike zone.   

Question 2:
      How do you handle a catcher who slides over to the inside corner when a batter is already crowding the plate?    When this happens, it takes my slot away.    I've been told to set up higher, but when I do that I can't see the catcher glove the ball, meaning I'm guessing on pitches low in the zone.

I'm working middle school and high school baseball and softball.
    • By Thunderheads
      ..........I was NOT actually ......

I was NOT tracking the ball ALL THE WAY into the mitt with my eyes!  Yeah, yeah, go ahead, ........................I know, I know!

Come to find out, I was tracking it with my eyes right into the front edge of the plate, (where I like to invision seeing an imaginary pane of glass), but I wasn't finishing the tracking into the mitt ...

WOW, ...all it took was an instructor to see that and go over a few things, and WHAT A DIFFERENCE!  It just 'feels' better, and the view is so much better!  Now, I'll only suck 1/2 as bad

It's just a testament to the value of going to a professional clinic!
    • By Thunderheads
      Discuss!
      http://www.mlb.com/v...782246&c_id=mlb

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=25057893&topic_id=6479266&c_id=mlb&tcid=vpp_copy_25057893&v=3
    • By MIZUMP
      Lefty batter with a lefty pitcher and they want an inside pitch. Being in the slot kind of gets us in a tough spot to see the release of the ball and such. What are your mechanics to help your vision in that spot?