Recommendations on Umpire Attire for Women? Especially pants.

lauritap
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3281 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Does anyone have ant recommendations on umpire gear that fit women?  I am have the most trouble finding pants that fit well and thought someone here might be able to recommend brands, etc.  I am also interested in tips on gear, plate shoes, etc thoug the fit issues are less for those items.

Thanks for many wisdom out there!

Guys there's a reason I never chime in on these threads. I'm HUGE for a teenage girl. And square. Like a linebacker. I just wear the L/XL dudes clothing and I'm good.

HOWEVER.

I do know the ASA catalogue/site has pants cut specifically for women in navy, charcoal, and heather. Give them a try, I know the two other female umpires here in town who wear that stuff say it's decent.

Here try this. http://m.teamusa.org/USA-Softball/Shop/Official-Gear

Thanks you all so much - VERY helpful!  Am trying out Honig's pants and belt and am building from there.  My league has some gear and i am trying different equipment out but would like to get my own so it fits and moves well.  I really appreciate your insights!

Unless you have a fear that you may not stick with our avocation, I say without a doubt get your own gear......so many variables on fit, size, protection level and personal needs.......lots of posts here to help guide you.....

But from the gear junky crowd of which, I am a member.....

buy the best gear you can afford......it will save you money in the long run

• Like 1

Guys there's a reason I never chime in on these threads. I'm HUGE for a teenage girl. And square. Like a linebacker. I just wear the L/XL dudes clothing and I'm good.

HOWEVER.

I do know the ASA catalogue/site has pants cut specifically for women in navy, charcoal, and heather. Give them a try, I know the two other female umpires here in town who wear that stuff say it's decent.

Here try this. http://m.teamusa.org/USA-Softball/Shop/Official-Gear

As somebody who has had to order from ASA quite a few times....unfortunately, I don't believe that they offer charcoal grey pants.

Thank you!  I am planning to get my own gear and am so grateful for the specifics.  I am currently umping AA and AAA and will likely start doing Majors next year (I coach and Commission at that level so I happily don't have to be in the dicey situation of umping in my own division).  And YES - I totally know that I will get hit.  Even from coaching the little guys I have had numerous ball-shaped bruises all over!  Thank guys and gals for the great advice!

Thank you! I am planning to get my own gear and am so grateful for the specifics. I am currently umping AA and AAA and will likely start doing Majors next year (I coach and Commission at that level so I happily don't have to be in the dicey situation of umping in my own division). And YES - I totally know that I will get hit. Even from coaching the little guys I have had numerous ball-shaped bruises all over! Thank guys and gals for the great advice!

Good luck on finding pants that work. I've yet to find any. Honig's, can't say about them as three emails and a phone call to them have still not had an answer. I need charcoal this year and can't find them at all. Smitty's aren't women's pants, no matter what they say. They are men's pants that they threw in an extra seam over the men's rear seam and the crotch still goes down to my knees (I'm only 5'1"), Last year I found a pair of gray slacks with a wider leg that kind of worked, but the waist band roles under the weight of the ball bags so they don't look the most professional, especially at the end of the season when I had lost 20 lbs.

Shirts, for bases I have them tailored (faster and cheaper than I can do them). Even the small is big on me but it's perfect for the plate. So far, only Smalls I've found are Smitty's but I've a few other brands that I'v picked up in medium that I'll deconstruct and make smaller. (I'm an 8/10 and a C for reference)

Shoes, most gals can wear the men's. As long as you're a size 7. 5 foot, 3n2 makes a size 6 men's. Hard to find, but an Internet search pulls them up. If you have a smaller foot that that, steel toes shoes is your best shot, that and prayer. I've got a line on Mizuno shoes from Japan but they are PRICEY and it's a gamble on whether or not they will show up as they have to be ordered through a Chinese shipping company.

Chest protector. Buy a hardshell! It's worth it. Nothing worse than catching one on the boob under a soft shell. Caught a few last year (from setting up out of position, my fault but still) and it's a wake up call.

Leg guards - I'm short, so I buy kids but I had to make my own straps. If your tall enough and have plate shoes, buy the best you can afford. I'd love to own the unequals, maybe next year.

For little guys (8u9u). I also wear a batters elbow guard on my left elbow. Saved me a broken arm last year when a kid let go of a bat after a wild swing. The smaller the kids, the more likely you'll get hit,especially by something crazy.

Mask - I just wear a diamond cheapy but I upgraded to team wendy pads. Seriously, I highly suggest TW pads or upgraded wilson pads (if you don't have a nice high end wilson mask). I've been told I should get a hockey style since I do a lot of little kids but I just hate the weight of it. It probably would be smarter, but I'm not going to do it, I'm sticking to as light weight as possible.

@Tksjewelry:  Just got my Honig's pants in the mail - WB1 (Base)  and WB2 (Plate).  In 2 sizes up from my normal size 10, they fit great in the waist and hips.  They are just REALLY long and took them to be hemmed.  I may have like 6-8 inches of fabric from each pair if you still end up needing it:-)

• 1 month later...

I'm big enough to wear mens apparel and shoes, but I'm always keeping a look out for gear and apparel for the smaller women I call with. Here is a pretty decent price for women's base shoes.

http://www.zappos.com/asics-gel-180-tr~2

Here is another website that sells ASA pants, they are only in Heather and Navy. This site also carries a Scorpion chest protector by Schutt and the Schutt mask, which is actually the Diamond mask, just rebranded.

http://www.shop.at-3services.com/Softball-Baseball_c2.htm?page=all

Thank you!  I am planning to get my own gear and am so grateful for the specifics.  I am currently umping AA and AAA and will likely start doing Majors next year (I coach and Commission at that level so I happily don't have to be in the dicey situation of umping in my own division).  And YES - I totally know that I will get hit.  Even from coaching the little guys I have had numerous ball-shaped bruises all over!  Thank guys and gals for the great advice!

How did I miss THIS thread last month???